something I had to share

Options
I'm 31 years old and live with my mother(as roomies, shared everything). In January I started the weight loss/lifestyle change journey.
My mother decided she wanted to do this as well. Got the membership to the gym but I can't seem to get her to go with me. She is eating healthy and I've spent the time to show her how to read labels so we are not allowing the bad foods into the house.
Well, yesterday on the way home from the gym, I knew I needed to stop at the grocery store to pick up some milk and such. When I got home, I looked up the stairs and saw the loaf of bread on the counter and thought uh-oh Mom went shopping too. I came up the stairs and to my shock, not only did we both go to the store but we both bought the exact same stuff. From the vegetables, to the fruit, to the oatmeal, to the milk and bread.
I may not be able to motivate her to go to the gym but at least I know the healthy choice eating is sticking with her. Which is really good for me because I hate breaking her heart when I throw out the crap she decides to buy sometimes haha
If anyone has ideas on how I can get her to go to the gym with me, I'll take any ideas I can get. I know I know, baby steps

Replies

• spunkone
    spunkone Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm 31 years old and live with my mother(as roomies, shared everything). In January I started the weight loss/lifestyle change journey.
    My mother decided she wanted to do this as well. Got the membership to the gym but I can't seem to get her to go with me. She is eating healthy and I've spent the time to show her how to read labels so we are not allowing the bad foods into the house.
    Well, yesterday on the way home from the gym, I knew I needed to stop at the grocery store to pick up some milk and such. When I got home, I looked up the stairs and saw the loaf of bread on the counter and thought uh-oh Mom went shopping too. I came up the stairs and to my shock, not only did we both go to the store but we both bought the exact same stuff. From the vegetables, to the fruit, to the oatmeal, to the milk and bread.
    I may not be able to motivate her to go to the gym but at least I know the healthy choice eating is sticking with her. Which is really good for me because I hate breaking her heart when I throw out the crap she decides to buy sometimes haha
    If anyone has ideas on how I can get her to go to the gym with me, I'll take any ideas I can get. I know I know, baby steps
  • Phatmomma
    Phatmomma Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can show her some of the moves she can do AT HOME. Some people don't like the gym setting. Or find an exercise dvd catered to her age/activity level she can do at home and with you sometimes as well. Way to go on being a positive role model to your mom!:drinker:
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    what something fun instead of the gym, like salsa, swing, bellydancing? yoga? some people are intimidated by gyms, and a dance class might be a little more accessible to your mom.

great on changing your diets together! i love the team effort!

em:flowerforyou:
  • twin2
    twin2 Posts: 404
    Options
    Maybe if you two just start (baby steps) just walking, maybe at the park or somewhere. I have a twin and I can't get her to go to the gym with me either. Her schedule is different than mine, but we are next door neighbors, so we can walk at home some. It may not be much, but at least it is a start. Congraduations on getting the healthy food choices "rubbing off on her". Maybe she is thinking about more than you realize.:happy:
  • c-grandma
    c-grandma Posts: 73
    Options
    There's a cable station in my area, called FIT TV. It's great. Every kind of exercise you would want. Good luck-Chris.
  • K.Ann
    K.Ann Posts: 37
    Options
    That is really awesome! Getting your mom to eat healthier I wish I could get my mom to do the same. I am really jealous your roommate eats the same stuff you do because mine don't. Day after day I have to come home to pizza just being delivered, or a big dish of my favorite pasta, mmm I'm salivating just thinking about it, I live with my brother and he is trying to put on weight(I got the WRONG genes!). Just yesterday I saw him eat a big mack, two cheeseburgers and a large fry. It is really difficult but I haven't given in!
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    How about just asking her to go for a walk with you for 30 minutes each day. It could even be leisurely. It will be a great time for the two of you to catch up and get some good Mother-Daugher time in. :) I noticed someone else mentioned videos. Try the Leslie Sansone walking DVD's. They're low impact aerobics and it's a great way to start. I lost my first 20 lbs with them. Here's a link to see a lot of her videos. http://www.lesliesansonevideos.com/ If you can find the "5 Day Walk Fit" one, I'd suggest that. There are 5 different workouts on it starting from the "1 mile walk" to about 30 minute, slightly increased paced workouts. They're great and you might love doing them with her!
  • spunkone
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replys and suggestions.
    She claims she likes the gym and when she goes, she does really good. She even will get on the elliptical for a few minutes.
    My problem is getting her off of the sofa or away from the computer.
  • spunkone
    Options
    oh, and at home, we have a treadmill and a exercise ball and weights and we live by a lake which makes for a beautiful walk. I also have kickboxing and pilates dvd's