Clean Snack suggestions - small / packed in protein?

Options
porffor
porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
Hi all
Wondered if we could share snack ideas that are low ish cals and high in protein.

I'm hoping to find some bits I can prepare that are 'clean' to take with me to Uni in the week.

I've found a small breakfast muffin in the P90X2 nutrition guide which looks interesting bits like that would allow me to pack my bag with goodies and maybe cut out a protein bar.

Veggie would be idea. - as I'm veggie - but others here will appreciate any ideas I'm sure. :flowerforyou:

Thanks

Replies

• carlypreiss
    Options
    I'll eat a can of tuna (140 cals) with dill relish mixed in and some low fat mayo, and it's less that 200 calories, but you could also substitute the mayo and relish for peppers or something.

Hard boiled eggs are good too, sometimes I'll just eat the whites and save the yolks for something else.
  • porffor
    Options
    I'll eat a can of tuna (140 cals) with dill relish mixed in and some low fat mayo, and it's less that 200 calories, but you could also substitute the mayo and relish for peppers or something.

Hard boiled eggs are good too, sometimes I'll just eat the whites and save the yolks for something else.

Thanks I'm veggie - should have said lol but it'll be relevant to others I'm sure. The eggs I do already for salad as love them anyhow.. need to learn to ditch what I term the best part though.. what do you 'do' with your yolks? I feel awful throwing them away! lol
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Nuts! I measure out 1/4 cup of almonds and put them in a plastic snack bag. I make a bunch of these and they are easy to grab any time.

Hard boiled eggs. If you make a batch they will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

Chicken drumsticks. This sounds weird but a chicken drumstick cooked with no skin is about 70 calories and it comes with its own handle. :-) Put one (or two) in a sandwich bag and and the bag gives you a place to put the bone when you are done. Very satisfying!
  • carlypreiss
    Options
    Ahh, sorry! Hmm well sometimes I feed them to my dog, other times I'll just eat them by themselves (not often, but it happens). Usually someone in my family eats it.
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Just saw your reply that you are a vegetarian -- guess that shoots the chicken drumstick idea! :-)
  • mrosem87
    Options
    I would snack on:

Greek yogurt - Buy it plain (which I know some people don't like) and mix in your own preferred fruit. I try not to buy the ones with the fruit added already because I think those will have higher sugar content

Hummus - I love hummus as a snack. Nowadays, there are so many different flavors. I just discovered spinach & artichoke hummus and it's delicious! A great alternative to spinach and artichoke dip. I eat hummus with a serving of quinoa & black bean chips from trader joe's (about 8 chips) - yum! Or some Wheat Thins Fiber.

Edamame - It's not one of the highest protein source... but it is filling.

Tempeh - Okay, maybe you will like this. It's fermented tofu but it has a high protein content. I didn't like it when I tried it. The texture just didn't do it for me... and I thought it tasted weird. But maybe it's because I ate it plain. Ick!

Tuna - From the can. Lol. I'll add very little lite mayo and then eat it with the Wheat Thins.

Hopefully those help! =)
  • Symphony6
    Symphony6 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Are you doing dairy? Cottage cheese and greek yogurt is protein-heavy :)
  • porffor
    Options
    Don't worry about meat ideas - good for others and I don't take offence all my family other than me are meat eaters... had to giggle at the handle on the drumstick. lol

Thanks all !
    Yes I do eat dairy so will have a look at greek yoghurt and cottage cheese -normally only have that on a jacket potato but I can get a jacket at Uni.

Also the Houmous would be good - will look for some small pots ready packaged. :)

anyone make their own houmous?

I bought some small cans of chickpeas to go in salads too and they work well for stopping me getting hungry.
  • newlana
    newlana Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found a great receipe from askgeorgie.com for crunchy roasted cannellini beans.
  • porffor
    Options
    Thanks will check it out.

Was thinking of adding some bits like flax seeds etc to salads etc for a bit of an additional protein, not something I've done before I must admit.

I found Spelt in a pre-packed pack thing so was thinking maybe I could do some bits with that or quinoa too. anyone use these?
  • jeccalou
    jeccalou Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I found a great receipe from askgeorgie.com for crunchy roasted cannellini beans.

I just looked that recipe up. Man it looks good!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Spelt is a form of wheat, so just use it like you would wheat. Quinoa is great! Sub anywhere you would use rice (except it won't stick together like sushi rice).

Was thinking of adding some bits like flax seeds etc to salads etc for a bit of an additional protein, not something I've done before I must admit.

I found Spelt in a pre-packed pack thing so was thinking maybe I could do some bits with that or quinoa too. anyone use these?
  • transfixedtoast
    transfixedtoast Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    beetroot, celery, cucumber, steamed broccoli with dip like houmous or tzatziki
    Also eggs, eggs eggs eggs. They're lots of fun and the whites have like 20 calories with lots and lots of protein and the yolks have tons of vitamin D and they're tasty as pie.
  • porffor
    Options
    Spelt is a form of wheat, so just use it like you would wheat. Quinoa is great! Sub anywhere you would use rice (except it won't stick together like sushi rice).

I've pretty much cut rice out as don't like brown rice much.
    Is quinoa a lot lower in carbs etc than rice? I don't eat sushi so no issues there! lol
  • porffor
    Options
    beetroot, celery, cucumber, steamed broccoli with dip like houmous or tzatziki
    Also eggs, eggs eggs eggs. They're lots of fun and the whites have like 20 calories with lots and lots of protein and the yolks have tons of vitamin D and they're tasty as pie.

• mrosem87
    Options
    I think quinoa pretty much has the same amount of carbs. However, you get a a lot more bang for your buck because it's a pretty good protein source. I actually had quinoa for dinner tonight! With tofu in curry sauce on top. It was delicious. It's a good alternative to grains if you don't like rice and all that.

Have you also tried french couscous?or bulgur wheat? those are other good alternatives to rice. =) And they also contain about 6g of protein per serving =).
  • Woooolywool
    Woooolywool Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Peanut putter may sound unhealthy, but it's packed with protein. :) (organic is the best!) Just have a 20g serving with a banana. It's really yummy, is rather healthy, and is rather filling. -20g serving of p.b = 118 calories -Medium banana= 100 calories. :)
    It's great as a post-workout snack too! :)