Protein Powder After Spinning Class?

Options
Most people view spinning as a cardio workout but it is really anerobic given where your heart rate is during the class (if you are doing it right). My question then is, does is make sense to take protein powder after the workout, just as one does after a strength workout?

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Most people view spinning as a cardio workout but it is really anerobic given where your heart rate is during the class (if you are doing it right). My question then is, does is make sense to take protein powder after the workout, just as one does after a strength workout?
    You don't need a postworkout shake period.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's absolutely necessary to take protein immediately after either workout and I wouldn't concern yourself too much over it -- but if you enjoy taking a protein shake there's certainly nothing wrong with doing so.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You can have protein powder whenever you want. The timing relative to workouts is pretty irrelevant. The main thing that matters is your macros at the end of the day.
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's absolutely necessary to take protein immediately after either workout and I wouldn't concern yourself too much over it -- but if you enjoy taking a protein shake there's certainly nothing wrong with doing so.

^^^^ this is an excellent answer
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You can have protein powder whenever you want. The timing relative to workouts is pretty irrelevant. The main thing that matters is your macros at the end of the day.

^^^^^ this is too
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    Okay, so now I'm confused. I recently started exploring the internet and I keep reading that you should have your protein shake within 10 minutes and adding a banana with it helps you absorb the protein quicker (something to that affect). :indifferent:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Okay, so now I'm confused. I recently started exploring the internet and I keep reading that you should have your protein shake within 10 minutes and adding a banana with it helps you absorb the protein quicker (something to that affect). :indifferent:

That's called Broscience. I think we all believed this at some point.

Usually "they" say to eat within 1 to 2 hours post workout to take advantage of the anabolic window. But it turns out that the window is more like 24 hours, not 1 or 2. So it's ok to avoid worrying about these sort of details and just go about life working out hard and eating well and balanced.
  • trmecham
    Options
    Men's Health (not always the best source of accurate scientific reporting imho) recently published a blurb about a study that found that chocolate milk following 45 minutes of cycling improved aerobic capacity over a six week period. Something about the ratio of carbs to protein. LIke all things in that particular publication I take it with a grain of salt, but I have been trying it. If it does work, I wonder if it is because chocolate milk is high in potassium. Personally, I have always found that getting enough potassium helps me recover. But what potassium would do for aerobic capacity, I have no idea.