Hi, this is my first and long overdue diet, help!

Options
Hi,

Most of my life I managed to stay slim with almost zero effort, but when I started a desk job the weight started to pile on, and after 2 years and an additional 24kg (over 50 pounds) I really need to get back in shape. I know it will take me some time to do this, but the sooner I start the faster I will achieve my goal. I have never really dieted before, so all tips would be appreciated. I have settled in to a new job which I hope will help me gain a healthier and happier lifestyle. Working 9am-5pm rather than 7am-9pm frees up loads of time for excersize and learning to enjoy making healthy meals.

Rebecca

Replies

• ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Welcome!:flowerforyou:

This is great read with lots of advice
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/41685-how-it-s-done-tips-from-me-to-you
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    First of all, WELCOME! :flowerforyou:
    2nd......DO NOT USE THE WORD DIET!! When you do, you feel deprived.
    This is a lifestyle change. Right now go to your fridge and pantry and throw
    away all of the junk! Then go to the market stock up on whole grains (not
    processed wheat flour), veggies, fruits and lean meats.
    Preplan and precook your meals.
    Take advantage of all the knowledgeable folks on this site and the
    tools MFP offers.
    USE THE FOOD DIARY!! You'll be surprised!
    Good Luck!!
  • idreamof55
    idreamof55 Posts: 18
    Options
    welcome to MFP this site is great and the people here are awesome! I too work a desk job and my co worker think I am crazy (they are right by the way) I do leg lifts at my desk,arm exercises,twist in my chair and bounce my knees up and down... anything to burn more calories. Looks crazy but it helps!
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    First of all, WELCOME! :flowerforyou:
    2nd......DO NOT USE THE WORD DIET!! When you do, you feel deprived.
    This is a lifestyle change. Right now go to your fridge and pantry and throw
    away all of the junk! Then go to the market stock up on whole grains (not
    processed wheat flour), veggies, fruits and lean meats.
    Preplan and precook your meals.
    Take advantage of all the knowledgeable folks on this site and the
    tools MFP offers.
    USE THE FOOD DIARY!! You'll be surprised!
    Good Luck!!

I second that!
  • Erin_Weiler
    Options
    Well, good luck to you girl! This website has tons of meal ideas and I've tried a few and been pleasantly surprised by the flavor and heartyness. If you really dedicate yourself to this website, you'll find yourself rejecting those little handfuls of whatever snack someone has around because you know you wont be able to remember how much you had and you might not be able to find it in the database either. It'll keep you eating what you know is healthy for you :) I had the opposite happen to me...I was sedentary as a child through adulthood and always 20-40 lbs heavier than I wanted to be, but suddenly I was thrust into a physically demanding job and dropped 20 lbs in the first 6 months. I don't mean to seem precocious, but please let me warn you of one thing. All the times I tried to lose weight before, it took so long for me to begin seeing a change that I gave up too soon. Told myself I had some kind of crazy horrible metabolism and excused myself from having to try anymore. It just takes time. Stick to a reasonable amount of calories and get some exercise and in one month I'm sure you'll see you've dropped a few pounds. Just stick with it girl and you'll make your goal. Again, good luck!
  • siskell224
    siskell224 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you!!!:wink:
  • idreamof55
    idreamof55 Posts: 18
    Options
    Be sure to log your food BEFORE you eat it because sometimes when I see the caloire count I change my mind!
    I do not know why this site works so well I have tried EVERYTHING in the past and failed I am still new at this but I stay so pumped up using MFP and have lose 16LBS in 8 weeks
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    This is a great site. Take the time to learn about all the great features and use them.
    You will succeed if you work hard.

Take it one day at a time
    Stay open minded to new ideas
    Take baby steps
    Drink lots of water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Think of this as a new way of life, not just a temporary diet.

It always helps me to log my food first before I eat so there are no surprises.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Find a group to be part of and check in with them every day.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love this site if you don't already. I :heart: it here. This site is so motivational, helpful, supportive, easy to use, and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you that I hope you have a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: