A cheat day?

Options
I've heard some people say it's good to have a cheat day and others who say you should stick to your diet.

So what is the over all opinion on this?

My husband and I were thinking of going out to a mongolian bbq tomorrow but I don't know if I should be that naughty, lol.

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    There is no overall opinion. But my opinion is to let loose once a week for a free day or splurge day. (I hate when people call it cheat day).
  • annieheavrin
    Options
    I just posted something about this on my "wall". I am wondering the same thing! I NEVER cheat, work out everyday BUT for some reason, today I feel like letting loose! I already worked out..but I just kind of want to eat whatever I want for ONCE and not count everything that goes into my mouth. Interested to see what everyone else says. :)
  • thekateb
    Options
    I allow myself a cheat day here and there, but I also try to save a couple hundred calories a day on the other days to make up for it. I also don't plan out a cheat day I save it for a day when friends want to go out to eat or I have a potluck at work or something like that.
  • scarpa220
    Options
    A depends on the type of person that you are and how well you stick to eating healthy the other 6 days a week. If you create a calorie deficiency of about 300-500 a day and do that 6 days a week it is great to have a cheat day. Eat about 500 calories more that day and you will see results. Just don't go over board, but enjoy yourself.
  • claireyf12
    Options
    I have a 'cheat' day every saturday i.e.i have a takeaway, its working for me so far, but everyone is different its all about seeing what works for you. However I believe you shouldnt restrict yourself and if you are sensible then you can eat anything

Good Luck :):)
  • lutkica01
    Options
    I do it, just don't go way over board. For example when we go out if I crave a hamburger I will get it, and I will either just eat the hamburger by itself or half the burger and some fries.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Spike days are good. Helps keep your body guessing a little, and avoid homeostasis. I've had better success doing spike days than no spike days. Today is supposed to be my spike day, although to tell you the truth, I don't even feel like eating a lot!
  • juttah
    Options
    If you're in it for the long haul, one day of "letting your hair down" will not mean anything in the grand scheme of things. In fact, my husband and I might just go out to a mongolian bbq too! (A new one opened in our area). Enjoy, then get back on the wagon.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I've heard some people say it's good to have a cheat day and others who say you should stick to your diet.

My husband and I were thinking of going out to a mongolian bbq tomorrow but I don't know if I should be that naughty, lol.

I'd prefer to call it a FREE day, rather than cheat day, as cheat implies you are doing something wrong.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a cheat meal once a week, but I don't go out of my way to take one if the opportunity isn't there. I went to a Chinese buffet with my daughter last week, and we'll probably go again next Friday. I logged everything and ended up still being under my cals. I figure out if there's a big family holiday or some type of get-together coming up in the next week and plan that as my cheat. It doesn't bother me to call it a cheat meal, but I know some people don't like that term. :smile:
  • KLEALEE71
    KLEALEE71 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a cheat day here and there, but I also try to save a couple hundred calories a day on the other days to make up for it. I also don't plan out a cheat day I save it for a day when friends want to go out to eat or I have a potluck at work or something like that.

That is a good idea to save your day when you want to splurge....
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options

I'd prefer to call it a FREE day, rather than cheat day, as cheat implies you are doing something wrong.

:blushing:

Sorry, heh heh.

Okay so a "free" day then! :laugh:
  • micha1984
    Options
    Look up the cals on what you would normally eat there and then decide what would be best for you to do! I think once you see that a plate you would normally get is an entire days calorie allotment you will decide to just bring your portion down to something that will be more reasonable for the day. You don't have to deprive yourself you your fav foods you just might be making a compromise with portion control!! GO OUT TO EAT!! :) You won't stay on your diet if you only eat "healthy" all the time. If you allow yourself to be a little bad then you know what will be safe for you to keep losing weight! Most restaurant have menus online and you can look almost any meal up before hand.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I eat Mongolian BBQ fairly often and what I have is actually lower in calories than my normal meals!
  • AuntKeke1315
    AuntKeke1315 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think it is okay to spoil yourself sometimes, but I don't have a technical "cheat day".
    I'll allow myself fast food or eating out, but I still try to maintain my calorie intake for the day. Its a personal choice. I just don't want to 'cheat'. It wasn't okay when I was working hard towards my BA, and it isn't okay now.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I think it is a personal thing.

For me, I don't do cheat days or cheat meals. I eat what I want, when I want it. I simply do it in moderation. Having to wait for a particular day to eat something I REALLY want today? Well, that is too diet-ish for me. I'm not on a diet, I've changed my lifestyle.

Do what works for you. Some people have them regularly, some people save them for special occasions (birthdays/anniversary/etc) and some people never have them (because they're worried they will fall off the wagon) and some people never have them because they choose to eat everything in moderation.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I used to have cheat meals... They turned into cheat days... Cheat days turned into a couple of cheat days and a couple cheat days turned into a weeks worth of a ten pound gain.

Everyone is different with this. I for one like having one day per week where I will sit down and eat a large pizza and not fret over it. I also like to eat my fav foods during the week that are healthy and enjoyable and not be a health freak either.

Try out different scenarios and see what works best.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    (Calories out - calories in) / 3500 = weight loss. If you are on a tight calorie control diet plus exercise the odd day of higher calorie intake should not stop your weight loss, but it will slow it down. Really depends on the person, if the odd splurge keeps you on track it is probably better for you but if the odd splurge day turns into the odd splurge weekend then the odd splurge week, then month it probably is not the best way for you to lose weight.
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I love having a splurge . . . but when I know it's coming (like a dinner out, or potluck with friends), I try to eat mostly fruits and veggies all day. This makes me feel better about eating less healthy at night; mind you, I still try and log everything as best as possible so I can keep it real with my results. I try to not have an entire day though . . . I'd probably go way overboard . . . lol!
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    oh i like the free day, that sounds better to me too.
    I had a free day yesterday. I ate ok but still went over my cals. for the day. Today i feel fine, not guilty a bit and back on track. so for me this worked fine. I will not beat myself up ever again if i go over. that in itself is freeing.