Pre-workout Food

I know this question has probably been asked a million times, I tried searching the forum but couldn't find my answer.

Is there a specific type of food which is best to eat before a workout? And how long before?

I'm aware that protein is best within half an hour after a workout but I really don't know if there is anything like this that applies pre-workout, carbs or fat etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Replies

• bananas!!!!!!!!
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    I'm not an expert, but since I usually go in the morning I do eat a little something. Then a protein shake afterwards, especially if I lifted weights.
  • I have seen some shakes / drinks that are really supposed to amp your workout up. You take not long before but not sure if this is what you are wanting. I would be curious as to this as well.
  • buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member
    Bananas, apples, peaches, pineapples, and grapes are all good to eat pre-workout. Bananas especially as they are high in potassium and working out can lower the nutrient.
  • my trainer has always told me proteins before and proteins after, He said something about it helps the musscles
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    I would do some experimentation and I would also consider not eating anything pre-workout and see what you like best.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    I would do some experimentation and I would also consider not eating anything pre-workout and see what you like best.
    Beat me to it.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Beat me to it.

Clearly I am only typing faster than you because sugar is a poison.

lolwut.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Personally my nutritionist advised me to have a little something before my morning workout session. I enjoy a nice shake ( milk, frozen fruit ) spun up in a blender and drink it on the way to the gym.
  • apvalletta
    apvalletta Posts: 110 Member
    I sometimes eat bananas for the potassium or drink soy chocolate milk (supposed to be great before exercise)
  • Try eating bread in some form or maybe another form of carbs for the energy to complete, remember it is about portion contol also.
  • DinaRobin
    DinaRobin Posts: 61 Member
    I've found for my early morning Boot Camp class, which is pretty intense for me, I can work harder and last the day better if I have breakfast before and after! So that's bran / oats museli with sultanas, nuts etc, with a little skimmed mil and some added blueberries.
  • Thanks for all your input everybody :-)
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    I know this question has probably been asked a million times, I tried searching the forum but couldn't find my answer.

Is there a specific type of food which is best to eat before a workout? And how long before?

I'm aware that protein is best within half an hour after a workout but I really don't know if there is anything like this that applies pre-workout, carbs or fat etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Apples & peanut butter
    Greek yogurt
    Granola Bars
    I personally like oatmeal....your body will burn off the carbs....and these are COMPLEX carbs..so it's all good!
    Bananas
    1/2 protein bar (save the other half for after)

This is what I do.....I have learned my lesson the hard way. I am hypoglycemic...and therefore need to fuel every 2-3 hours. I once did a spin class, and didn't eat anything before or after. I was tossing a medicine ball with a friend, and I passed out...and got hit with the ball. Now I eat before, AND after!
  • ChangingJojo
    ChangingJojo Posts: 30 Member
    I do my workouts after work. So I time a light afternoon snack for about 1 hour before. Usually I will have some yogurt with fresh fruit or granola. It keeps my blood sugar from dropping near the end of my workout or on my drive home.
  • Just experiment and see what works for you and your body. You have to make sure you have enough energy.

I've always had an english muffin with BP peanut butter on my way to the gym, and then have about 200-300 more calories after the session (mostly protein like egg whites and veggies). However these past couple of weeks I've been experimenting with not eating at all pre-workout. So far it's been fine energy- and performance-wise.

*editing to add that if I workout at 6am, so first thing in the morning before work.