Sugar from fruits?

Options
Lately I've been going over on my sugar limit, but it's mostly from fruits. Is natural sugar okay to eat? Or should I be watching that, too?

Replies

• shawnayy
    Options
    i feel so lonely.
  • melissamason941
    Options
    i wish someone would post some answers! i have that question too. as best i understand your body burns up those sugars quickly, they are a source of energy easily accessed. i don't worry too much about them (not at all really :) i would think as long as you're not over-eating in general, fruits are one of the best things you can eat!! would be happy to hear from someone who really knows what they're talking about.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% but I don't think you have to worry about natural sugars.

It's added sugars you have to worry about.

At least that's what I've read in many of the nutrition books I've been studying.
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I have heard that they do matter..grapes are the highest. I notice on my log that I go over on my sugar when I have alot of fruit. I am going to try to start limiting my sugar...it is in EVERYTHING...even my trader joes guiltless pizza I had yesterday!!!

So I would recommend cutting back on the fruit and increase veggies....but if you go crazy on the fruit don't beat yourself up since fruits didn't get us overweight!!!! :wink:

Good luck!!!!!
  • aminakhan1980
    aminakhan1980 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I logged grapes for the first time last week sometime, and was shocked at the calories! I mean it wasn't crazy high, but higher than I thought. I could eat a whole bag of grapes, but not now, I will limit them. I was wondering the same thing though, I mean it's hard to consider fruit as "bad for you"...
  • donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing! Orange juice and a banana nearly puts me well over half my daily limit.
  • LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    Options
    So, as a diabetic, I have to throw in my general opinion. If you aren't a diabetic, you really need not worry about sugars if they are coming from natural sources. I am not a Doctor but for me, my blood sugar does not spike with fruits. I think the fiber, and the fact that most fruits are complex carbs (from my understanding), they do not spike like simple carbs like processed breads, potatoes and other stuff like that. I could be mistaken as I am not an authority, nor do I claim to be one, I just know that carbohydrate choices are more important than worrying about sugar intake if it is coming from otherwise healthy choices. Fruit are important for a balanced diet and should not be avoided. Though, be smart about it. Bananas are starchy and tropical fruits are a bit starchy but everything in moderation!

after all...an apple a day, right?