Confused! =\

Options
Okay, I know people gain weight and have weight loss problems because of high caloric intake...

MY problem is my caloric intake is NEVER enough. I do eat throughout the day but they're usually just small meals/snacks that I can buy from the food court on campus or at work. AND since they're usually fast food places, I only allow myself to eat a little bit each time. I also work out at night (p90x) and I don't eat back what I work off.

I have lost a few in the past 3 weeks but I think that's mostly water weight (I don't feel/see any difference). My concern is, people keep mentioning on here about hitting a plateau and my boyfriend have also warned me that losing weight in the way I have will only cause me to gain it all back later because of my metabolism slowing down. That is the last thing I want to happen.

My question is, do I really need to eat the minimum 1200cal? Or even get close to it? Is meeting that requirement really that important? I find that when I work out, I my calorie net is usually less than 500cal. When I don't work out, I'd hit at least 800-900. I feel fine throughout the day and don't usually get hungry. My boyfriend, on the other hand is concerned and keeps telling me to eat. I've tried googling for answers maintaining or keeping up my metabolism but I'm finding contradicting information. What works for you guys?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Eating too little and with little to very little strength training will catabolize (break down) muscle for energy. The less muscle you have the lower the metabolic rate you will have. So as you lose muscle, anytime you eat more calories (surplus)than you're used to, it can be definitely stored as fat since your metabolic rate will be lower.

Don't undereat. It's one of the worst things you can do for your body and hormonal system.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nanwiley
    Options
    Yes you need to eat the recommended calories. If you eat less your body thinks you are starving it and your metabolism slows done. My doctor told me this when i first started using the fitness pal
  • marynificent
    marynificent Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Those calorie levels are near anorexic. You cannot maintain a metabolism on a starvation diet. I mean you can try googling "pro-ana" if you want to attempt it. You are going to have to eat more. Unless you are only three apples high, then by all means, you are doing smurfingly well! The body is an amazing adaptive machine. Are you positive that you are really eating this little or could you be underestimating your intake? If you are at 500 calories and doing exercise, you will not build muscle, only cannibalize it when it breaks down in response to your exertion. You may lose "weight" but it will not give you long-term sustainable results.
  • mrosem87
    Options
    I do strength training (with p90x) a few times a week - pull-ups, push-ups, ab work out, free weights, etc. I also drink a protein drink afterwards. Will that at least prevent muscle loss?
  • marynificent
    marynificent Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I do strength training (with p90x) a few times a week - pull-ups, push-ups, ab work out, free weights, etc. I also drink a protein drink afterwards. Will that at least prevent muscle loss?

So your real question is "can i starve myself thin but not lose all of my muscles because I am smart enough to understand that muscles also burn calories and this would be counterproductive to my goals?"

If you do not eat enough, your body will find a way to get what it needs or die trying.
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    the short answer is yes, you need those calories. everyone else has already explained why. maybe you could try making a sandwich to take with you to work or keeping a couple granola bars in your purse so its not fast food that youre snacking on and you wont feel so guilty about eating it. i dont know what all youve tried, but thats normally what i do and i end up right around 1,200 calories for most days. i always make sure im just a little over. best of luck!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If you're doing P90X, you need to eat MORE. Tony Horton is always emphasizing the importance of fueling the workouts. The *lowest* calories they recommend for anyone (even for those wanting to lose weight) doing P90X is 1800. To think 1200 (and possibly fewer) is a good idea for your body is probably a very bad idea.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to eat more. If you are on campus all day, try packing healthier higher calorie snacks than what you can pick up on campus. You can get a really cute lunch bag that looks like a purse and keep things like greek yogurt, string cheese and fruit in there. Also keep a bag of almonds or other nuts.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Yes, the minimum is a definite requirement.

My niece was having the same problem of not enough calories. She was actually gaining weight. I sat her butt down and explained the why and what's of what her body is doing. Then I set her up with a plan to get all her calories in per day and am happy to report that in 5 weeks she has dropped 7 lbs.
  • AmandaK3
    Options
    What do you add to your protien shakes?

To make them more nutritious and add a bit more calories try adding peanut butter, a banana, greek yoghurt, or frozen mango chunks (one of my favorites).

You need to get more calories, and chances are if you're not reaching your minimun you're probably lacking in other important things you body needs.
  • WhisperALullaby
    WhisperALullaby Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Eat. In all seriousness, eat. Some people find that even the recommended 1200 is too little. I was stuck until I actually ate MORE. You are going to mess up your metabolism and deprive your body of vital nutrients if you don't eat enough. It's just a bad idea, especially with how much you're exercising, to be eating that little.
  • mrosem87
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. If you have any advice on what to add to my diet, my diary is open (preferably food that can last the whole day without spoiling or going bad)

I just want to clear up that I DO eat throughout the day. It's not like I am going through the whole day without eating for hours at a time. I'd eat meals/snacks of pretty much whatever I want... just in small portions. I don't find myself hungry most of the time and when I am hungry, I'll eat something. My gross calorie intake is usually much higher than my net (usually hitting closer to 900 -1000). Working out just burns a lot of those calories.

I've new to this "healthier lifestyle" and I'm just finding that eating healthier foods AND working out is causing me to NET MUCH LESS calories than before and wanted to know if that would really affect my goal of losing weight.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I was getting a lot less, then I was told to increase my calories. THEN, someone told me that if I wanted to keep my muscle and lose my fat, to increase my protein.

SO, now, I do 35/35/30 protein/carbs/fat.

AND, I have lost 3 lbs and dropped 2.5% in bf (within in a few weeks). I am 41 with 6 kids, so the fat really wants to stay.

Some easy ways to get your calories up. Protein shake WITH lunch. So that would be 230 calories from protein shake (I use skim milk and why protein)

Protein bar 200 calories Snack

Almonds 170 calories Snack

And I am now just adding coconut oil to my oatmeal, the coconut oil alone is 130 calories.

These are not really high filling to make you stuffed, but they are highly nutritionist and adds some calories so you are not too low.