Am I too old?

Options
I'm 67, and struggled with my weight all my life --- up and down stuff. I now have 40-50 # to lose and never wanted to be a "plump grandma" but here I am. My general health is good, but I know I'd feel better if lighter. I'm looking for friends who are older but maybe not wiser so I can find out if it's too late to shed the extra! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• elfie9863
    Options
    Ok...well I am going to be 60 in June. I have been up and down my whole life. Just these past months though, I have found that the older you get the more it becomes about exercise. For me anyway.

I don't really have any food issues and eat within normal healthy realms (not counting a few margaritas on Saturday Night). BUT, I now stay on my elliptical for 45 min to an hour 5 days a week and hit CURVES at least 3 times a week just to lose my target of 1-2 lbs per week. Going really well so far.

So, for me, I don't focus too much on food, but just exercise more. I don't expect to ever be a size 7 again, but a 12 would be just fine.

Good Luck!

PS Add me for a friend if you like.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You know i was just thinking about this this morning. a couple of years ago i gave up on working on myself as i thought it was to late for me to even try to get where i liked what i could see in the mirror. Was that a huge mistake. A person is never to old to be a better person. Never. I let those thoughts go and i'm not looking back. You get on with doing what you want to better your life for you. that's my thought... Now get going and have a great journey...
  • Lorraine128
    Lorraine128 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You are never too old to try something new or start over! Go for it!
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You are never too old to want to feel healthy and be in great shape for you and your grandkids.
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    heck no!!! You are never to old to make yourself feel better.
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 61, last year a month after I turned 60, I said, "OMG, I have got to do something". So I did. Started walking. little by little, around the block the first week, then 2 etc. After about 5 months I was going a whole mile! WE are never too OLD. I have a group here for 60 and over if you would like to join. Also, please add me as a friend if you like, the more support we have the better. Good luck to you.
  • kccochran
    kccochran Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My doctor once told me; "When you are younger, it is good to exercise. When you are over 50 it is critical to exercise."

So never feel too old. Do what you can and then push yourself a little bit more. It works great for your attitude on life when you accomplish a little more than you expected and not bad for the body either.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Haven't you heard about the guy who is 100 years old and ran his first Marathon recently and made it into Guinness book of world record.? If he can do it all of us can do it. You are never too old to try if you are passionate about something. Good Luck.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    You are never too old to try something new or start over! Go for it!

I'm 74. I finally stopped making excuses for my eating and decided to join MFP. I have been fighting my weight for most of my adult life. I was always into exercise etc and it kept my weight down.:happy: Now other things have happened and I finally got to the most I have ever weighed. They say to make a life changing decision sometimes you have to hit bottom. Well, I hit top.:sad:
    So I'm back to hiking again and love it. I take my dogs with me.

So go for it. You can friend me if you want. :flowerforyou:
  • khaapala
    khaapala Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • khaapala
    khaapala Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 61, last year a month after I turned 60, I said, "OMG, I have got to do something". So I did. Started walking. little by little, around the block the first week, then 2 etc. After about 5 months I was going a whole mile! WE are never too OLD. I have a group here for 60 and over if you would like to join. Also, please add me as a friend if you like, the more support we have the better. Good luck to you.

Oh thank you. How do I find your group? I think I added you as a friend, but not sure.... if I didn't, can you send me a request?