Clothes shopping in the UK.

Options
Jain
Jain Posts: 861 Member
Has just got harder for bigger ladies in the Leeds area.
I like the New Look outsized range of clothes but last year they took that range out of my local store so it was only available in either Leeds or Manchester.
Today I took a trip to Leeds as I need some new jeans. Guess what, they now no longer stock the range in either of the city centre stores, just in the out of town store. As I don't drive this is not much use to me. When I questioned a member of staff I just got a blank look & a shrug.:mad:
So I thought I'd go to Evans, not so keen of their stuff, over priced & not well made, but beggers can't be chosers. But the Evans store is now a TopMan.
Where the hell are bigger ladies suposed to shop!!!!:explode:

And yes I know M&S do 'some' big sizes, but I don't have that kind of money.

Replies

• elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    you will have to shop on line sweetie :( it's not fair for you x but will be cheaper
  • cneale91
    cneale91 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    its gunna have to be done online now isnt it (N) what about super markets? i really like George at Asda and they go up to a size 24 i think? x
  • jo2907
    jo2907 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What about George at Asda or Florence & Fred at Tesco's?.... as far ask i know they do sizes for larger ladies and are quite good value, i know it's not quite the high street but thought it might help :smile:
  • TamsinEllis
    Options
    Evans is still around in Wiltshire, and if you look around a lot of stores now you might find your bigger sizes in with the normal clothes, I know both me and my mum have gone shopping together, seen something we liked on a rack, pulled it out to get a better look and ended up holding a size 20. I think it might just be a matter of looking closely, also (and I know you probably hate this shop I know I do) Primark does larger sizes and Peacocks have started to as well.
  • claireyf12
    Options
    Rubbish isnt it, I really like Peacocks, do you have one of them?? I am fortunate that we still have the Inspire range in my New Look but not much Choice :)
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I don't like shopping online for clothes. I've tried it & always been disapointed in the quality, fit or colour or all three. And damit I like shopping for clothes, I like going into a shop & looking over everything.
    I don't shop at Asda as they are owned by Walmart.
    And the big supermarkets are out of town. I don't drive.
    And Primark is not exactly the most ethical of shops, or their clothes well made. So I avoid it.

I'm a bigger lady, I'm sick of being treated as a blot on the landscape. All I want is to go to my nearest city & be able to buy some clothes. You'd think with the 'obesity crisis' never being off the news that the shops might have caught on that bigger sizes are needed.
  • TamsinEllis
    Options
    Ah you like buying clothes from shops with good ethics, I'm the same (minus the topshop (etc) knockoffs I buy from charity shops haha, new pair of trousers today, £2.50 score!) I mostly - and this isn't because of size this is more because of price, quality, ethics and just because if I go shopping it's where I ideally go - go to trade fairs and stuff, it's amazing the clothes you can buy from there, handmade by the stall owners most of the time and I can't vouch for everywhere but the ones I've been to they've had from size 6 all the way up into the 20's, maybe not the same clothes for each size but similar styles/patterns etc. Might be worth checking out online if you have any coming near you in the future :)
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Try Matalan, BHS, Bon Marche & Peacocks :]
  • paigemarie93
    Options

I don't shop at Asda as they are owned by Walmart.

Can I ask why that's a problem?
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Clothes shopping in the UK is missions if you are overweight. Which is a big part of why I'm trying to lose weight. My clothes are all tight and shops that I want to shop in don't do my sizes. I'm 5'6 and 13 and a half stone. I'm a UK size 16-18. I wouldn't exactly consider myself enormous and I see lots of bigger women than me walking around fully dressed, so the clothes must be out there! But where do they shop? Sometimes I can buy clothes in next, but they are quite pricey and not really my style. It's a bit harsh for all the bigger girls to have to slum it in matalan and bon marche. It seems if you're not a UK size 8 - 14 it's difficult to find nice clothes.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Has just got harder for bigger ladies in the Leeds area.
    I like the New Look outsized range of clothes but last year they took that range out of my local store so it was only available in either Leeds or Manchester.
    Today I took a trip to Leeds as I need some new jeans. Guess what, they now no longer stock the range in either of the city centre stores, just in the out of town store. As I don't drive this is not much use to me. When I questioned a member of staff I just got a blank look & a shrug.:mad:
    So I thought I'd go to Evans, not so keen of their stuff, over priced & not well made, but beggers can't be chosers. But the Evans store is now a TopMan.
    Where the hell are bigger ladies suposed to shop!!!!:explode:

And yes I know M&S do 'some' big sizes, but I don't have that kind of money.

As somebody else suggested, shop online or, just a thought, do you have an ASDA near you? If so, hopefully, they have a George store attached to their shop. Not sure what size you are, but George do up to size 24 in jeans x
  • paigemarie93
    Options
    Clothes shopping in the UK is missions if you are overweight. Which is a big part of why I'm trying to lose weight. My clothes are all tight and shops that I want to shop in don't do my sizes. I'm 5'6 and 13 and a half stone. I'm a UK size 16-18. I wouldn't exactly consider myself enormous and I see lots of bigger women than me walking around fully dressed, so the clothes must be out there! But where do they shop? Sometimes I can buy clothes in next, but they are quite pricey and not really my style. It's a bit harsh for all the bigger girls to have to slum it in matalan and bon marche. It seems if you're not a UK size 8 - 14 it's difficult to find nice clothes.

I used to weigh & be the same size as you, was difficult finding clothes that fit & I know what you mean about seeing people bigger than ones self walking around fully clothed, I used to want to ask them which magical shop they bought their clothes from haha.