Huge and Delicious Super Low Calorie Stir Fry

Options
2»

Replies

• finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know where i can buy Shirataki Noodles in the UK? Would love to try them!

You can probably get them in a health food store. Otherwise you can order the Zero Noodles brand online.

-Chelle
  • ValerieTheBohemian
    Options
    Looks delicious, great calorie count, thank you.
  • finallychelle
    Options
    Even the yam version of shiratki noodles contain calories, 6 calories per 1.7 ounce serving - which would
    equate to about 113 calories for 2 pounds (32 ounces). It wouldn't make sense for 2 pounds of anything
    we eat to contain 0 calories.

I understand your disbelief but each half pound package very clearly says 0 calories.

Here is a link to the MiracleNoodle brand. It shows that there are 0 calories:

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/p-74-angel-hair-pasta.aspx#back

-Chelle
  • QueenHanifa
    QueenHanifa Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • finallychelle
    Options
    do shirataki noodles taste like regualr pasta? If so could you use them for pasta dishes?

Shirataki noodles actually have no flavor of their own and the texture is not exactly the same as pasta, but it's pretty close (considering it's made from vegetable powder instead of wheat flour).

I find that the texture is improved greatly by dry-frying in a frying pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray (on high).

I then use them in Italian dishes as well as stir fries, Vietnamese dishes (Pho, for instance), etc.

They are very versatile.

I find that leftovers taste even better since the noodles get to spend the night in the 'fridge absorbing all that flavor that you added to the dish.

I also find that by adding bean sprouts to the pan at the same time as the shirataki noodles that the two work very well together. I fry them until the bean sprouts begin to brown. They have a very nutty smell and flavor, once that happens-- and I really enjoy that.

-Chelle
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know where i can buy Shirataki Noodles in the UK? Would love to try them!

You can, or could, buy them mail order from Japan, but after the tsunami they stopped being shipped. I don't know if they have started up again.

I love the idea, but I found shirataki made me feel really ill. They sit in your stomach literally doing nothing, so you feel starving hungry but physically full to bursting, which is not a pleasant combination. I use instead mung bean cellophane noodles, which have about 50 cals a cup once soaked and cooked.
  • MissOmi
    Options
    Thank you for the link. I am going to order some and see how my family likes it. I think that it will really help my husband and I lose weight and fill the void from having to cut out pasta from my diet.
  • reneeramirez4christ
    Options
    This is a great recipe, it's true the traditional noodles have zero NET calories, they contain NO FOOD ENERGY, which is basically what calories are. Because it's a water soluble fiber, it CAN cause people to have upset stomachs if they are not used to eating much fiber and are not drinking enough water, but this is typically in people who over consume the product. What is important to remember is not to focus on eating ZERO calorie foods, as our bodies do NEED calories to function. Also remember NET CALORIES simply means calories in vs calories out, ALL foods have calories but it's determined by how much energy the body requires to burn the calories of the food. If the body requires the amt of calories equivalent or close to the number of calories in the food, then the manufactures can place zero calorie labels on these foods. Some minor exceptions are manufactured products such as sugar substitutes.
  • finallychelle
    Options
    Thank you for the link. I am going to order some and see how my family likes it. I think that it will really help my husband and I lose weight and fill the void from having to cut out pasta from my diet.

You can order several brands, online. ZeroNoodles and MiracleNoodles being two of them.

You can NOT order Tofu-Shirataki noodles online, however, since tofu needs to be refrigerated (plain shirataki noodles do not).

The very best place to buy them is in an Asian grocery store. Otherwise you can go to Good Earth or Whole Foods or any of the upscale health food groceries. Even Publix, Kroger and Harris-Teeter carry them (supermarkets in the U.S.).

The prices I usually pay for a 7 to 8 ounce package:

$1.29 (Asian grocery)
    $1.49 (Harris-Teeter)
    $1.99 (Good Earth)
    $2.29 (Publix and Kroger)
    $2.49 (Whole Foods)

As you can see, Asian groceries are, by far, your best bet. I usually buy 50 bags at a time, since I use two per day.

-Chelle
  • finallychelle
    Options
    This is a great recipe, it's true the traditional noodles have zero NET calories, they contain NO FOOD ENERGY, which is basically what calories are. Because it's a water soluble fiber, it CAN cause people to have upset stomachs if they are not used to eating much fiber and are not drinking enough water, but this is typically in people who over consume the product. What is important to remember is not to focus on eating ZERO calorie foods, as our bodies do NEED calories to function. Also remember NET CALORIES simply means calories in vs calories out, ALL foods have calories but it's determined by how much energy the body requires to burn the calories of the food. If the body requires the amt of calories equivalent or close to the number of calories in the food, then the manufactures can place zero calorie labels on these foods. Some minor exceptions are manufactured products such as sugar substitutes.

Excellent post!

I find that if I am full-- really full-- at least once per day then I can do a great job of staying on my calorie budget.

I have about 30 different ways that I make shirataki noodles, so I keep things pretty well mixed up.

I always say, "Hungry people make lousy dieters."

-Chelle
  • jan5555
    jan5555 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    gonna try this. thanks!
  • Olive32214
    Olive32214 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    bump, and thanks for posting!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i love the shiritake noodles too. prefer making a ramen type soup. they actually have 6 cals per 100g - sorry to be a stickler. definately gonna try your recipe - looks amazing.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    don't know about the US but i order from Japanese food websites here in the UK (limited to 10 packs due to high demand). Stay well clear of the 'miracle noodles' they are really overpriced for the same product.
  • 3laine75
    Options

Google japancentre. Great website - i get instant miso plus japanese cookies for my daughter as well and they email you great recipes.
  • finallychelle
    Options
    i love the shiritake noodles too. prefer making a ramen type soup. they actually have 6 cals per 100g - sorry to be a stickler. definately gonna try your recipe - looks amazing.

The brands I use have zero calories. Sorry. No matter how many posters try to tell me that they have calories I can assure you that they have zero.

I even posted a link, here, showing the nutrition information for miraclenoodles.

Zero calories.

-Chelle
  • bhajrizi11
    Options
    awesome!!!