Pre-pregnancy Weight

Options
For those of moms that have had babies how long did it take you to get back to your pre-pregnancy weight? And were you breastfeeding or not? Thanks

Replies

• annah78
    Options
    I've got 2 children, who are 3 and a half, and 13 months old. The first time round I'd lost all of my baby weight, plus maybe a little bit more by about 8 weeks. I'd put on around 21lbs during pregnancy. Second pregnancy I put on nearer 28lbs, and 13 months later still have about 10lbs to lose. I've breastfed both children, and am still feeding my 13 month old. I don't think I've done anything drastically different in terms of diet or exercise second time round. It just seems it's one of those things that the weight has been harder to lose, but I'm working on it now!
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    most of the weight came off for me within about 6 months, but the last 10 lbs is always the hardest. i probably wasn't down to pre-preg weight until between 12 and 16 months. i did breastfeed both times, and i also gained around 60 lbs both times.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    With my first I had GD so I only gained a little weight. Very soon after having her I was back into my regular clothes. I did not BF her.
    With my son I gained more weight and started a diet when he was 6 weeks old. I drop 30lbs below my pre pregnancy weight. With him I did breast feed, but I also dieted and worked out very hard.
  • bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    With my 2 y/o I gained 53 lbs and lost 50 of it in 13 months, then found out I was pregnant again. With my 1 y/o I gained 53 lbs and lost 59 lbs in 11 months (early feb 2012)

Both my sons breast fed for about 7 months
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I am at my pre-pregnancy weight now and my second child is 8 1/2 months. I am about 1.5kg away from my pre-pregnancy weight from my first child (I never got back down in between). I breastfed both (and am still feeding #2) but I find it makes me SSSOOOOO hungry that it doesn't really seem to help the weight loss side of things.
    I try to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight in 9 months, I figure it took 9 months to put it on so it seems fair to have 9 months to get it back off again!!
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    It took me 6 months but I was depressed, not eating and 21 LOL I gained it back overtime and am now 7 pounds away from reaching it once again!
  • kerrybrookes
    kerrybrookes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i have 4 children and there is a 10year age gap between last 1 struggled to get back to Pre-pregnancy weight he is now 3.
    In the past i exercised like mad but with Health problems and working full time not so easy to do this time.
    Kez xxxx
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    2 kids, ages 5 & 2...and I'm just now 8 lbs away from pre-pregnancy weight. I gained like 50lbs with each...lost about 20lbs after having my 2nd, and have been carrying around the extra 30 lbs until I started losing weight & joined MFP in November! =)
  • Trinity1982
    Options
    i was 68kg pre pregnancy. child 1 i got down to 62kg post pregnancy however put the weight on during anti depressants. child 2 i was 75?kg and put on weight post pregnancy. over last christmas i got to my highest weight of 89kg.
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I gained SIXTY pounds when I was pregnant. Yes, 60. After 6 months, all but 15 lbs were gone. The last 15 were really hard. That was when I joined a gym and started really caring about my diet. I lost the 15 and then another 5, putting me at my lowest weight since high school. Then I went back to school and gained the whole 20 back, so that's what I'm working on now :)

Also, I breastfed until about 8 months, when my son bit me so hard it drew blood and gave me this evil smile, lol. That was enough for me! :) I'm sure that helped me lose a lot of the weight, but like I said, at about 6 months after birth I hit the plateau, so it didn't help me after that.
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    I had a lot of complications, bed rest and too many Breakfast Jacks and ended up gaining 90lbs. 30 came off right away and I recycled 10 pounds- repeatedly losing and gaining within 10lbs. He was breastfed for about 5 months. My biggest regret is waiting so long to try to lose the weight.
  • shyrina25
    shyrina25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    my baby is 17 months and i just lost 18 pounds and got gazillion more to go!
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I was at my pre-pregnancy weight -4 lbs 7 days after I had my daughter. However, I had only "gained" 13 pounds which mean I actually lost weight/body fat while pregnant. I was still 211 lbs at that point so nothing to brag about. :) Now I am pre-pregnancy weight -39lbs. She will be 3 next month! lol.
  • busymomto5PA
    Options
    I have four kids my oldest is 7 my youngest just turned two. By the time my oldest was 1 I was pretty much back to pre-pregnancy weight. Got pregnant with my second never quite got back before I got pregnant with my third. Same thing third to fourth now I am still working on getting baby weight off. Hopefully this will be the last time I do this! 80) Oh and I breast fed all my babies for a year give or take about a month.
  • DinaRobin
    DinaRobin Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have two kids, aged 5 and 2. Both times I put on about 40 lbs and breastfed exclusively for 3 months first time and 4 months second time. In both cases, when I first introduced bottled feeds, I had returned to about 5 lb BELOW pre pregnancy weight, but both times then gained weight and by the time the baby was 6 months I was about 15 lbs over pre pregnancy weight.

I put this down to the high calorie burn of breastfeeding to lose the weight followed by the intense tiredness which led to over eating and eating convenient / high calorie foods having lost the high calorie burn of breast feeding and not replaced it with anything more than pushing the buggy for short walks.

Both times my body shape changed and I lost the hourglass pre-mum shape to have a thick, round belly! Happy to say that is starting to change now that I'm two months in to this concerted effort with food and exercise.
  • mandimommy
    Options
    I have three kids (6, 4 and 20 mo.) With my first, I was back to pre-preg weight in 6 months with daily exercise but no diet changes. I nursed for 13 months. With my second two, I took longer. I kept about 10 pounds on the whole time I nursed (21 months and 13 months) and then had to run and reduced calories to lose it. Now I am 10 pounds below pre-preg weight. It is different for everyone, but I seem to have a hard time losing weight while nursing.
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    After my first baby it took a long long long time to get to a better weight (years) but I was 17, really sick and not in a great place emotionally, that baby was a c/s, and not BF. After the second baby it took me less then a month (after a c/s) and I was BF. But I worked by butt off during that pregnancy, I ate incredibly well, I walked every single day, I deserved to be back to where I was.

With the 3rd baby I am still 20lbs away and hes 2. So.....eventually I'll be back there? This time around it was also a c/s, and I BF. I also worked by butt off in this pregnancy, to a point. At 7 months I got really sick, medivac flight, 7 days in an isolation ICU, another week in hospital, I gave up. I spent the rest of the pregnancy eating candy and chips because I figured why work so hard to stay healthy if I"m going to get sick anyway? I gained A LOT, and now I'm working to get it off.
  • sandraleigh01
    Options
    I've got 2 boys, 20 months and 5 weeks. I gained almost 50 lbs when I was preg with #1 and only lost 20 of it before I got preg with #2. I'm now 5 lbs from my pre-preg weight from #1.

I also had to be put on a very strict low- fat diet the final months of my preg and first month of my second sons life due to gallbladder issues. No fast food, fatty meats, dairy, chocolate... Now that I've had my gallbladder removed, my doc took me off the diet but i still follow it for the most part because it's a healthy change and I've gotten used to it. When you HAVE to make a change like that because of a health issue, it's a lot easier to stick with it because you know the consequences if you break the diet. In my case, if I ate anything that was even mildly fatty, the stones in my gallbladder would block the enzymes from being released and cause the gallbladder to expand causing severe pain a few hours later. That wasn't fun.. So now even though i had it removed (emergency- stone passed, blocked liver) I still stay away from fatty foods n stuff just out of habit.
  • sandraleigh01
    Options
    I've got 2 boys, 20 months and 5 weeks. I gained almost 50 lbs when I was preg with #1 and only lost 20 of it before I got preg with #2. I'm now 5 lbs from my pre-preg weight from #1.

I also had to be put on a very strict low- fat diet the final months of my preg and first month of my second sons life due to gallbladder issues. No fast food, fatty meats, dairy, chocolate... Now that I've had my gallbladder removed, my doc took me off the diet but i still follow it for the most part because it's a healthy change and I've gotten used to it. When you HAVE to make a change like that because of a health issue, it's a lot easier to stick with it because you know the consequences if you break the diet. In my case, if I ate anything that was even mildly fatty, the stones in my gallbladder would block the enzymes from being released and cause the gallbladder to expand causing severe pain a few hours later. That wasn't fun.. So now even though i had it removed (emergency- stone passed, blocked liver) I still stay away from fatty foods n stuff just out of habit.

Also, #1 was bf for a month and #2 is still on the boob. Lol