what HR zone?

Options
So I am curious of what HR training zone should I be working out in for weightloss? does it matter? for me the max HR is suppose to be 193...when i workout its usually stays in 171-184 range. when i look online they call that to "no go zone". okay i don't know what that means! am i pushing it too much? do i need to work less intesity

am i doing a workout good enough for results? or should i stay in fat-burning zones?

Replies

• diggly
    diggly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Same boat here. I used an online calculator to determine my zone levels for my age and according to my HRM, I'm at around the 90% zone. What's more, I'm not pushing myself to the max with what I'm doing!

Hope someone can help clarify!
  • johnplil
    Options
    Your heart rate absolutely matters during exercise (especially cardio exercise). Your maximum heart rate during exercise is generally determined by using the following equation: 220 - (your age) = max heart rate during exercise. So, if you're 30 years old you max is 220-30=190. You should always check with your doctor to determine what's best for you. To get the optimum benefit from cardio exercise you should keep your heart pumping at between 60% and 90% of you maximum heart rate. So, if you're 30 your heart rate should always be between 114 and 171 during the entire workout. Hope this helps you.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    You don't want to get too close to a max heart rate just to keep from stressing your cardiovascular system too much. Recommendations I've seen generally say 75-85% of your max for regular vigorous exercise. That would put you around 160 for an average exercising heart rate. But averages and guidelines generally don't mean much of anything when it comes to you, a specific person. Everyone is so different.

What i would recommend is backing down the intensity of your workout a little, to get closer to the 155-160 average heart rate range and see how you feel. Maybe the slightly lower intensity allows you to workout longer, if that's open in your schedule.
  • dr3am3r
    dr3am3r Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    What i would recommend is backing down the intensity of your workout a little, to get closer to the 155-160 average heart rate range and see how you feel. Maybe the slightly lower intensity allows you to workout longer, if that's open in your schedule.

Awesome! never thought of that!.....but not always in my schedule with young one....but great advice!
  • dr3am3r
    dr3am3r Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of misconceptions about the "fat burning" zone. The reality is you burn more calories (and calories from fat) by aiming for higher intensities.

The old 220-your age as MHR has fallen into disrepute and there are a number of better variations out there such as HRM = 205.8 − (0.685 × age) even then it's a mathematical model. The most accurate way of determining your MHR is a stress test.