weighing food

Options
I just bought a kitchen scale and I LOVE it!! Question, when do you weigh your food, before or after you cook? For example, today I had a sweet potato with my lunch. Should I have weighed it before or after I baked it? TIA

Replies

• SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I would check it after, but the difference is likely to be negligible. Generally speaking, I weigh things after.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Unless it says otherwise, before cooking.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    if it absorbs water (pasta,rice) before cooking.
  • rgoodman1979
    rgoodman1979 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    what scale did you buy? i'm in the market for one...
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Most values are before cooking unless noted in the database. With that said, I normally cook large batches of meat for the week and then I weigh after. So I guess I do it wrong but I am not about to cut everything into "portion" size and then cook it. I'm far too lazy for that.
  • rowyourboat
    rowyourboat Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I bought one made by Taylor. They are marketing it as the one The Biggest Loser use. I really do like it, but I have nothing else to compare it to. Here's a link to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Biggest-Pounds-Kitchen-Platform/dp/B001DQOEIE
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS before cooking. Having worked in the food industry, all weights provided for foods are in a pre-cooked weight.

Meats and veggies will lose weight when cooked due to the loss of liquids during the cooking process.
    Grains and pastas will gain weight when cooked due to the absorbtion of liquid during the cooking process.

Yes, there will be entries in the database for "cooked" versions of items, but don't use those if you want accurate tracking. Meat will lose more or less weight depending on how long it's cooked. Rarer meat has been cooked less and is retaining more of it's natural juices, so it will weigh more than a piece of meat cooked to well done.

Grains and pasta are the opposite, cook for less time and they have less time to absorb liquid and will weigh less. Cook longer and they will be heavier with more liquid absorbed.

If you are worried about portioning, it's fine to weigh specifically for portioning after cooking, but always record the pre-cooked weight in your food log.

i.e. I start with 10oz of chicken and 86g of rice. I cook the chicken and weigh it, now it weighs 8.5oz, so I serve 4.25oz to each plate. I cook the rice and now it weighs 324g, so I serve 162g of rice to each plate. In my food diary, I record 5oz of chicken and 43g of rice.

*edited for spelling
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I usually measure before cooking. I also look for the measurments of raw vegetables so I can get an accurate count.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Glad i read this thread, I've learned something new!
  • court182
    court182 Posts: 307
    Options
    That's the one I have and I LOOOOOVE it, except for one minor thing: I bought it in September and already had to replace the battery a couple of weeks ago. I was a little surprised because I always thought that batteries were supposed to last longer than that. Maybe it was a fluke. Other than that, it's great!
  • rowyourboat
    rowyourboat Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Very informative! Thank you WOLFSCHILD!!!

Great, now I can eat more pasta, yay! :wink:
  • samhelen
    Options
    Most values are before cooking unless noted in the database. With that said, I normally cook large batches of meat for the week and then I weigh after. So I guess I do it wrong but I am not about to cut everything into "portion" size and then cook it. I'm far too lazy for that.

I just look at the pre-cooked weight of the whole batch to determine how many 3-4oz servings are there, then weigh the whole batch after cooking so I can divide by the number of pre-cooked servings to see what each cooked portion should weigh.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I just bought a kitchen scale and I LOVE it!! Question, when do you weigh your food, before or after you cook? For example, today I had a sweet potato with my lunch. Should I have weighed it before or after I baked it? TIA

I weigh mine before.
  • rkgb
    rkgb Posts: 22
    Options
    If I only cook for myself I weigh before but I am usually cooking for my family so I often weigh after it is cooked. You can find calories amounts for cooked and uncooked food. I enjoy weighing but I try not to make it to hard.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I would check it after, but the difference is likely to be negligible. Generally speaking, I weigh things after.
    That's pretty much the approach that I take but, when I was losing weight, my calorie deficit was so large that it really didn't matter (at 294.5 and 6' 1", I went on a diet of 800 to 1k cals/day).

Now that I've got to eat more and watch my macros (I run), I'm taking more of a look at this and, just for S&G, I weighed my steak last night. The steak was CostCo top sirloin (prime) and was cooked rare/very rare. I was shocked at how much was lost. It was 26.1 oz before cooking and 18.1 after!

I would think that beef, since it's fatty, would be an outlier but this is another example of "recording error" that can cause folks here on MFP to "plateau".
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    Just FYI, a postal scale works fine to weigh food.

I like to keep stuff as simple as possible and it certainly seems to me that much in the database is cooked weight which is a LOT easier in most cases. For items like rice and pasta that absorb water, I use volume measurements (a cup, etc) rather than weight measurements. I suppose I need to investigate this further for when I get closer to goal and it becomes more critical.

After all, it is most important to measure the food in some way or I would be just kidding myself.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    As others have said. Weigh rice, pasta, porridge, cereal dry. The volume or weight of water or milk is a source of variation/error if you use the combined/cooked weight.

Put your effort where it's most important. Certainly focus on weighing high carb (e.g pasta, rice) and high fat items (e.g. butter) rather than using volume. Some people find weighing in grams more convenient - if you can use both grams and ounces then you have a lot more choice in the database.

It's almost impossible for a manufacturer or an ordinary person to make an error with weight. It's common for manufacturers and ordinary people to make mistakes or miscommunication with volume.