Exercise:Wii Fit

Options
I have started using wii fit and i was wondering just how good it was at burning calories. When i do wii fit i do all the aerobic exercises. I was wondering if anyone had experience using wii fit and loosing weight
All input is greatly appreciated

Replies

• VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    bump

I would like to know too, I am considering buying it.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have it and I love it. I like using "my routine" with yoga and strength for light exercise or warm up and I do the island cycling and free run some mornings. there are lots of fun things to do with it for sure. For the Wii though I absolutely love my just dance games the best for exercise :)
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I have lost 10lbs and I use the Wii and walk. I have zumba, Wii fit plus and Wii sports. Depending on your activity level I think they are good. If you aren't used to exercising at all then I think it would be a good motivator. If you are used to lots of exercise then you might not find it as challenging. I just got a new Jillian Michaels game to try.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I've used Wii fit before and I've not only had a great time using it and I HAVE found that it works. I lost a few pounds, but through bad eating habits and generally doing absolutely nothing else I put it all back on! The programming in it is very good, and it cleverly reinforces your achievements - which makes you feel great. I personally think in conjunction with other things it is definitely worth the money :)
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    I don't use wii fit anymore. It didn't seem to help me. You need to try wee active sports and sports 2. I believe they over state the calories but not by much. I use the ps3 version because it had a heart rate sensor. I think now the wii has that to if you buy the newer version. If it has the heart rate sensor it is much better at counting the calories. Also wii active has preset workouts designed by trainers and are proven to work where as wii fit does not and I really haven't found anything that it did work on. You can use your wii balance board with the wii sports active as well. I would recommend it over wii fit any day. One more thing. On wii sports you can set it to low intensity and work your way up. It is for all levels of users.
  • chergarr73
    chergarr73 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump

I would like to know too, I am considering buying it.

If you have not already purchased, consider the Xbox Kinect as well. I have both and get a MUCH better (by better I mean more strenuous) workout on the Kinect than the Wii. Just FYI :)
  • LRuland
    LRuland Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love the Wii fit plus. I do the free run most of the time w/ yoga to stretch out. I just purchased the Wii Zumba fitness 2 & love it. I burn twice the amount of calories in the same time. I track my weight on it also.
  • unsivilized6
    unsivilized6 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've lost 16 pounds since Jan. 10 and Wii Fitness has been my #1 means of exercise. I am staying around 1200 calories most days. Combination of those things seem to be working for me. I start out with the yoga as a warm up and then move on to aerobics. I'm hoping to add Wii Zumba to my collection soon.
  • joconnor09
    Options
    I have a Wii Fit Plus. I love it. It's a great way to exercise without feeling like you're exercising. On my Wii Fit Plus, there are a ton of games to play, but there are also strength and yoga moves. The games are for cardio and balance. The whole thing is really designed to help stabilize your core, so you're always working that. There have definitely been a few times where I've ended my session sweating. I have never used it long enough to really gauge weight-loss results, but I am using it now to get my 30 minutes in. If you're looking for a fun, easy way to work out, then I'd definitely recommend it. I most play the games, but I think you could get a lot better results if you do the strength and yoga too. There's running, stepping, snowboarding games, boxing, there's a ton of stuff. You definitely won't get bored! It keeps an accurate calorie count for you as well, based on the METs system. It takes your weight measurement and has METs values for each activity. It also tracks your weight and allows you to set a goal. I'd recommend it. And, I think there are other weight loss Wii games that you can buy too!
  • samantha1953
    samantha1953 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love it. It is great for beginners because we burn calories pretty fast in the beginning. I wear an HRM so I get accurate burns. The boxing burns a lot because you are using your arms too. Wii Sports Boxing is more intense. I have the Broadway Dance but find I get a better workout if I just dance around to the music than try and follow the little characters.

All movement is good!!!!
  • Fruit_Girl
    Fruit_Girl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can burn 275cal on the Elliptical in 20min, but only burn 150cal in an hour of Wii. I know I'd prefer Elliptical!!!
  • heather17202
    Options
    I like my wii fit alot. I use it on a regular basis. Also use it to weigh in weekly and track my weight. Its not a super high intensity work out. I think it would work well for people of different activity levels.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    In my experience many people will blast WII Fit as useless and I couldn't disagree more. I know people who have lost significant amounts of weight using WII Fit. Additionally, what you get out of it depends on what you put in. There are definitely challenging exercises on Wii Fit. It depends on which exercises you choose, how hard you work, and how long you exercise. I love Wii Fit and encourage you to not get discouraged by other's remarks if it does work for you. Oh also, it depends on how good of shape you are in to begin with. Some people are going to find Wii Fit more challenging than others. Any movement is better than no movement though!
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have Wii Fit, and honestly it's not that great for serious exercise. It might be a good place to get started for someone who's really out of shape, or something to do just for fun. It's a good activity for me to do with my kids on a rainy day. But I wouldn't recommend buying it for weight loss. The exercises are very short, and then you have to find and load another one. If you want to exercise with the Wii, I would recommend the Just Dance games before the Wii Fit. Just Dance has a Sweat option that's non-stop dancing (and it's way more fun).
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I use Just dance 2 and I sweat more with that than on my treadmill....I love it and I count it as aerobic low impact aerobics. i do about 30 minutes (not counting the downtime inbetween songs) and burns about 250....and best of all its FREAKIN FUN!!!
  • littlemegzz
    littlemegzz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am actually studying game design and doing an essay (due this week) on serious games - which includes games for exercise. I found a review of a study done about 'exergaming' (games intended for exercise purposes).

The article on the review can be found at the following site:
    G. Reynolds. (2010). Phys Ed: Why Wii Fit Is Best for Grandparents. Well. Retrieved February 22, 2012 from http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/01/phys-ed-why-wii-fit-is-best-for-grandparents/?partner=rss&emc=rss

Essentially, they found that normal exercise and playing sports burns more calories than Wii Fit, which for younger people, is only equivalent to brisk walking. They did find that it greatly helped the elderly, especially with balance. This is really important as increased mobility decreases the risk of a fall and "... falls are the leading course for injury-related deaths in the elderly."

(As a side note, I also did workexperience with Neuroscience Research Australia, making an electronic game/survey to help analyse the risk an elderly person has of falling. You can read about it on my blog at http://littlemegzz.wordpress.com/category/game-design-projects/serious-games/)

I must say however, the study does not look at the mental change between those doing nothing and those working at Wii fit. Case example is those above who have talked about how much they enjoy Wii Fit. I am also one of them. Even though it does not burn as many calories as actually going out for a jog, or playing a sport, it is fun and can keep you motivated through the games and scores and on track with your weightloss by keeping you updated on your current weight. I also find, when I am keeping record on the Wii Fit, I am also more likely to make healthier options in my life, as I am held accountable by that little rectangle box which squeals "ouch" when I hop on it.

Final advice, if you enjoy playing games and getting to physically see your progress or if you struggle with motivation to get outside in the freezing cold or blazing hot weather outside, any of the exergames on any of the consoles might be perfect for you. I have definately got my moneys worth from buying the wii fit (and wii fit plus) thost 1350+ days ago when it first came out (that's right, it knows how long I have been using it for). I have competed with friends and family on it and my four year old cousin and 40+ year old uncle enjoy the games on it. If you are still unsure, see if a friend has it and ask if you can borrow it.
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I lost my first stone (14lb) just using the wii and balance board.
    I still use it now although I struggle with the time to spend on it, but I have made it more difficult
    for me by using a riser for the board to sit on so it is higher off the ground - it won't record your weight correctly soI just lift it
    on after I have done the body test bit.
    I also use 1kg weights that the controllers fit in to to make them heavier.
    I have heard others have used wrist/ankle weights too.
  • TheNewLeslie
    TheNewLeslie Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I used the EA Sports Active 2 for Wii last night and it kicked my butt. Way more workout than I was getting with the Fit. It has motion sensors for your arm and leg, so it can tell if you are doing things right - and tell you when you aren't. The arm motion sensor doubles as an HRM, so it tracks your calories as well. I may not have burned as many calories as on the eliptical, but for a 1/2 hour workout, I was beat. Plus I didn't have to drive to the gym - always a plus.....
  • rebecca0507
    Options
    I love the Wii fit plus. It is very convenient and fun! I do a lot of the activities but the main thing I do is the free step because I can set that for 30 minutes and not have to worry about stopping after only a few minutes just to reset or start again. I also bought the extended step platform (or whatever it's called) that I then put the board on to make the step higher which I can really feel a difference.
  • mandamommy3
    mandamommy3 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I like the Fit for the variety of fun activities and some of them are a pretty good workout. But I personally find that the Active 2 is a more serious workout, it comes with a HRM and resistance band, and the different programs/challenges it has are good. I've been doing 20-30 mins of the Active and 30-40 mins of the Fit every morning 5 days a week and watching my diet and have lost 13 lbs so far and a bunch of inches.