Accurate Excersise Calorie Counts

Options
Was wondering what your opinions are concerning accurate calorie counts during exercise?

My girlfriend and I have been debating the accuracy of the treadmill/arc trainer/etc., in its calculation of calories burned. I always set up my machine with my current weight, and periodically have it check my heart rate.

Today, I splurged and bought a heart rate monitor (with chest strap) that also measures calories burned. I set it up with my gender, height, weight, and age.

When I went to the gym today, I did 15 minutes on the Arc Trainer. The HRM and the Arc Trainer had my heart rate within a beat of each other the whole time. When I was done, the ARC Trainer said I burned 146 calories and the HRM said I burned 116. Then I did a few strength training machines and then did a 15:30 (average) Mile (interval training at 3.5 walk for 3 / 4.5 run for 2) and when done the Treadmill said I burned 149 calories and the HRM monitor said I burned 133.

The differences don't seem like much at first, but when you say 15 to 30 calories difference in 15 minutes, that is between 60 and 120 calories an hour. It doesn't sound like much, but it adds up.

And if I am eating back at least some of the calories I burn, then am I negating the effects. It would explain why I haven't lost as much weight as I would have liked to at this point. I am only down about 8 pounds since January 18th.

What do you think? Should I record the HRM calorie burn count or the machine calorie burn count, or split the difference?

My diary should be open if anyone has any suggestions -- I haven't recorded today's cardio yet.

Replies

• Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Do the machines at the gym take into account your age, height, gender and weight? If not it sounds like your HRM is much more accurate. Most machines just do an estimate based on averages - which can be much different to reality.
  • tanigrrrrr
    tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I would go with the lowest figure, that way youre safe, underestimating calories burned is not going to be bad, considering that even as best we try, we all underestimate our calories in, It will all work itself out in the wash.
  • jamesblood13
    jamesblood13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    in all honesty I always underestimate the calories burnt during exercise (so I'd take the HR monitor value) and try to overestimate the calories I eat. (Not too drastically). But in 5 weeks, 8lbs is perfect. You don't really want to lose more than 2lbs a week.
  • mackenzg
    mackenzg Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I always just go with what my HRM says! Like WERGLUM mentioned, the machines dont take in account all the factors like the HRM does.
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Do the machines at the gym take into account your age, height, gender and weight? If not it sounds like your HRM is much more accurate. Most machines just do an estimate based on averages - which can be much different to reality.

The machines at the gym, let me put in my weight.
  • hotmama1174
    hotmama1174 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I would say HRM as it is set to you personally.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    2 lbs a week is considered about the max for safe weight loss so I'd say you are doing really well. I would go with the HRM myself.
  • curlyteetee
    curlyteetee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering the same thing! It seems like mfp gives me way more calories burned then the machines at the gym. I'm confused any help would be appreciated#
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I know that 2 pounds is the recommendation.

But, I get discouraged. I wish it was a little faster.

I have my daily calorie intake set to 1290, have pretty much stuck to that - if I know I'm gonna splurge I work out extra before the splurge to allow myself the splurge - upped my water intake majorly, trying to make healthier choices in general, taking a multivitamin, taking glocosimine (sp), and taking a weight loss supplement, etc.

But, my gf is allowed twice as many calories as I am (via WW) works out less than I do, and is losing the same a week as me.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My experience is very like yours.
    I use the number my Garmin HRM gives me. I work for a company that calibrates lab equipment and know that anything that measures has to be calibrated on a regular basis, especially if it is used frequently. I don't think my gym gets anyone in to check the calibration on all these treadmills. The Garmin is updated through it's GPS.