Problems using the calculator (Newbie please help me)

Options
Ok, I think it's probably best if I just put the figures here, and that should make my query a lot easier. Today's results using the calorie calculator thing gave me this: Goal: 1880 + Food:1723 - Exercise: 571 Net: 1152 . I have to admit to being totally lost here.

Is the net how many calories I have lost today? I understand that you have to burn more than you put in, but I don't see how these figures work. Can someone please help me here, am I doing this correctly?

Replies

• SittingNow
    SittingNow Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, it also says that I have 728 calories remaining.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Net calories is your goal calories minus your exercise calories. MFP includes the deficit for losing in your goal calories not including exercise. Thus, you are expected to eat those calories to keep your deficit moderate rather than huge.
  • Foodie711711
    Foodie711711 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    its telling you you only ate1152 calories because you burned 571 calories from the 1723 you did eat. so the left over 728 is from 1880 (calorie goal) minus the 1152 (net calories)...its based on thought that mfp already creats a deficit and therefore you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories. I personally do but to each their own.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Assuming you want to "eat back your exercise calories," at the end of the day "Calories remaining" should be zero and "Net" should equal the "Goal."

Here's mine right now:

Calories Remaining 803

Goal_____Food_____Exercise_____Net
    2240_____1706_____269________1437

If I don't do any more exercise, I can eat 803 calories for dinner, which will make "Calories Remaining" = 0 and "Net" = "Goal" = 2240 (=1437+803).

Clear as mud?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I understand that you have to burn more than you put in, but I don't see how these figures work.
    This is true, but remember you burn 2000+ calories to power your organs and give you energy to walk around.
  • SittingNow
    Options
    Ah ok, I think I get it.

Out of interest, why would I want to eat back the calories I burn off in exercise? Do I risk going into survival mode if I don't?

This forum is amazing, I love you guys already! So good to know there's a place I come and find this stuff out.

Many thanks.
  • SittingNow
    Options
    One other thing, I've noticed that when I add weight lifting in, it doesn't seem to minus off any calories. Surely, weight lifting burns calories?
  • tmfpartyof4
    tmfpartyof4 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    One other thing, I've noticed that when I add weight lifting in, it doesn't seem to minus off any calories. Surely, weight lifting burns calories?

I was wondering this, too. I do not have the answer, but I am hoping someone can answer for you. Good luck and welcome to MFP.
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting gives off very few calories because it's muscle building. It's not getting your heartbeat moving like jumping jacks or something cardiovascular. Doing arm curls, sit-ups, does not get your heart racing.
  • Srdking
    Srdking Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It does depending on what weights you are using. I actually do my weights and log it under circuit training. I don't know about how everyone else does it. As for me I don't eat back the calories I burn, I tried this and gained weight. So I knocked that off! But that isn't the case for everybody. We all are different:) Some will tell you to eat them back and some won't. Really it's your call, and what works for you.
  • tmfpartyof4
    tmfpartyof4 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    that is good to know... thank you..