New to the site!

Options
Hi everyone!

just joined yesterday! Looking to lose 35 lbs! Hope this site can help me with all my nutrition. I love working out so now just need help with knowing what to eat and when...I welcome any tips....good luck to everyone! :)

Johana

Replies

• hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    the diary is pretty good, on my phone app, i can scan the food in which is cool. Also, so many informative posts about nutrition, I have learned so much in 4 weeks.

Good luck and welcome to mfp!
  • StatHaldol
    StatHaldol Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Yes, the phone app is the best one I've found!
  • mg720
    mg720 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    what phone or app do you guys have? my app sucks lol
  • OFFMYBUTT
    Options
    I am just getting back into shape, but when I was working out hard 10 years ago I had the best luck eating several (5-6) small meals a day. This kept me from feeling hungry and grabing snack foods. I am trying to get back to this way of eating.
  • johanaaah
    johanaaah Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!!! I am looking at examples of what you all eat and it has given me some pretty good ideas. Where can I find Wasa crackers? my co-worker is also on weight loss journey....she is seeing a nutritionist but i have encouraged her to join this site.

as far as apps go, i just downloaded the one for blackberry and it blows!!! i need an iphone desperately!!!

do you guys have some good ideas for snacks? i love fruits so that is easy, but a friend of mine recommended i have some protein with whatever fruit i have so the body breaks it down better. hummus? i hear a lot about laughing cow cheese, i love cheese so i should try those!

thanks for all the tips :):)
  • pioneerspinster
    Options
    Hi everyone, I joined about 1 1/2 weeks ago and I think this the best weight lose program ever. I love the tools, (bought the Fitbit) and the app for my Itouch. Feeling so much better than I did 2 weeks ago. Love, love, love that I don't have to starve myself anymore. My first goal is to loose 25lbs, down 3.5 lbs so far. When I reach that goal I'll decide the next goal.
  • johanaaah
    johanaaah Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    congrats and welcome! good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter or cheese is a great protein source..:)
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Welcome friend! Always glad to see a new person take the plunge with us!
  • irishasian05
    irishasian05 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! Feel free to add me as a friend!

To answer your snack question, I use GoGo Squeeze applesauce (only 60 calories per pouch and perfect for when I'm driving or in a hurry) and laughing cow cheeses (yes, they're awesome) with joan of arc mini toasts (which are only 80 calories per 8 crackers I think...perfect for one laughing cow wedge).

Good luck!
  • simplyblessed5
    simplyblessed5 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    welcome!
  • SandraBurrowes
    SandraBurrowes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can scan food into your phone app? How?
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Welcome, feel free to add me
  • csrussell
    Options
    Almonds! Raw or roasted w/o salt. A small handful (1/4 cup or about 22 nuts) is roughly 150 calories of healthy fats, high protein and fiber. Considered to be a cholesterol lowering food, too. I buy them in big bags from Costco and roast them myself. It only takes about 10 minutes on a cookie sheet in the oven.

Roast up a bunch, let them cool and then count out servings of 22. Put the servings in those half-size zip lock bags and presto, you have travel size snacks to take to work or anywhere you go.
  • ruffalicious
    ruffalicious Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    hi girl, welcome! i am also trying to lose the same lbs as u... maybe 35-40lbs ;) i am 5'1 weighing 154lbs. we can do this thing. just focus!! you can add me as a friend ;)) xoxo
  • 1_Slick_Chick
    1_Slick_Chick Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me. I have an open diary :)

I like Dannon Oikos Non fat Greek Yogurt (with or without the berries)....lots of protein too. I also add Golden Roasted Flax Seeds...adds a nutty flavor that I love.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky is a great source of protein. Especially the homemade dehydrated stuff. I make it and that way add no salt or sugar. It keeps well and is great for on the go times. I pack some for geocaching and hiking. Kellog's all bran bars I like also. They are only a 130 cal snack and taste great!
  • davenportkayla
    Options
    Welcome! I'm fairly new as well and I am already in love with this site/app. Feel free to add me, and good luck on your journey! :-)
  • csrussell
    Options
    You can scan food into your phone app? How?

If you have the iPhone or the iPad app (and perhaps others), on the "add food" screen there is a blue button just next to the search window that has a white horizontal line and a bunch of vertical lines. Tap that and the app turns on your camera. Simply line up the UPC bar code within the box and there you go.