Weight at different ages

Options
I am curious what you all think about what weight looks good at different ages. I am 45 and was talking to a friend about how I wanted to lose about 20 more lbs. She wanted to know why I still wanted to lose more because she though I would look too thin if I were 20 lbs lighter. I told her that I wanted to get back down to the weight I felt the best at in my life and that would mean I have to lose another 20 lbs. She asked me how old I was when I weighed that and I told her 26. She insisted that being 125lbs at the age of 26 is much different than being 125lbs at 45. I don't know that I agree with this and am curious how the rest of you view it.

Replies

• kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    When I was 26 I think I weighed 145 and I felt good, but now I'm 52 and I've been as high as 209 and as low as 160. I felt good at 160 but the meter on this site said I was still obese. I am now up to 195 and working on losing again but it seems harder to this time. I personally think whatever makes you feel good about yourself and healthy and I stress healthy is fine. So if I get back to 160 I probably would stop and try to maintain it. Did your friend have a medical reason why it is better to weigh more at an older age?
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I am curious what you all think about what weight looks good at different ages. I am 45 and was talking to a friend about how I wanted to lose about 20 more lbs. She wanted to know why I still wanted to lose more because she though I would look too thin if I were 20 lbs lighter. I told her that I wanted to get back down to the weight I felt the best at in my life and that would mean I have to lose another 20 lbs. She asked me how old I was when I weighed that and I told her 26. She insisted that being 125lbs at the age of 26 is much different than being 125lbs at 45. I don't know that I agree with this and am curious how the rest of you view it.

I'm curious about this too, and will check back to see what others have to say about it.
    In my case, I've been pretty heavy most of my life. I DID lose quite a bit of weight once, when I was "between husbands", but then regained it all! Now, through MFP, I have lost most of it again. I wanted to lose another 5 to 8 pounds, but I've got people telling me now that I'm getting TOO thin. It certainly feels pretty strange hearing THAT, let me tell you! :laugh: Anyway though, I WOULD like to still lose some weight, but, maybe because of the "age thing", I shouldn't? Should I just be happy where I'm at now? :huh: (FYI, I'm 5'7" and weight 147.)
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    I think the important thing is the amount of weight you should have for your frame. Your skeletal structure should not dramatically change as you age, so your best weight should also not fluctuate too much. I think as one gets older, it's not unbecoming to be thin, however, at 45 I don't think anyone is expecting you to have a 6 pack. Being healthy and happy with how you feel are the most important things.

Good luck!
  • karenmacneil
    Options
    I say don't look to the past! How do you feel now? People change over time, it's unfair to look to the younger version of yourself and compare. If you feel that you're not at your goal and would like to shed a few more pounds then go for it!! But if you feel good and are heathly then perhaps you're being too hard on yourself.
    Good luck :smile:
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that my weight should be about 140, I weighed 125 in my twenties and felt great. I don't expect to get down to 125 at my age now.

Check out these sites:
    Read this one - http://dietbites.com/article1023.html

And try this one -http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and probably pretty close to the weight I was in my 20's. But I can say that because I exercise now and do strength training I'm probably in better shape. And I eat alot better now.
    But that's me. Everyone is different. I do know that if I stopped exercising I would gain quickly.
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My friend had no medical reason for her opinion. She just thought that for my age, I look fine. I did tell her...you haven't seen me naked! lol I do think another 20 lbs is ideal but I also think that when I get to a weight/place I feel good, I will stop and just maintain. My main goal was to be healthy, not a skinny minnie but I had to have someplace to call an end so I choose 125. There is plenty in my belly that could go away and trust me it would not be a six pack still! lol I don't think my body has changed all that much in 20 years. Same height, same shape for the most part (except my hips are smaller...weird). I guess I just want to make sure I am being realistic. I don't feel unhappy with myself but would love to have my waist back! lol I will read the articles. Thanks for the info.