Heavy Lifting For Women?

Options
_xoxok
_xoxok Posts: 152 Member
I've tried searching through the message boards for this, but every time I hit the back button - or hit the wrong button - I have to start all over, so I gave up!

Anyway, I was wondering how many women out there lift more weights & do less cardio. If you do, have you seen results? Have your results been better compared to doing more cardio?

I was going to wait until I hit my goal weight before I started to lift weights, but research is saying lifting weights is always "better" as far as results go. I know you can't believe everything you read on the Internet, so I decided to come to MFP.

I just ordered "The New Rules of Lifting for Women", & it should be here soon. Any advice or feedback would be great. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    I've tried searching through the message boards for this, but every time I hit the back button - or hit the wrong button - I have to start all over, so I gave up!

Anyway, I was wondering how many women out there lift more weights & do less cardio. If you do, have you seen results? Have your results been better compared to doing more cardio?

I was going to wait until I hit my goal weight before I started to lift weights, but research is saying lifting weights is always "better" as far as results go. I know you can't believe everything you read on the Internet, so I decided to come to MFP.

I just ordered "The New Rules of Lifting for Women", & it should be here soon. Any advice or feedback would be great. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

don't wait, incorporate weights into your routine right now.
    As with diet, you are changing a lifestyle, not using tools as when you think they should be employed.

It will make a difference and set up a good routine now.
  • _xoxok
    Options
    don't wait, incorporate weights into your routine right now.
    As with diet, you are changing a lifestyle, not using tools as when you think they should be employed.

It will make a difference and set up a good routine now.

Great advice! Thank you!
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I just started lifting and LOVE it. Here's a thread I started last week...might interest you. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/499320-women-lifters
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Definitely do it now! It's so helpful! I plateaued when I dropped some of the strength training in favor of conditioning (scheduling and finances, something had to give!) but now I'm making room for it again and it's already working its magic.
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Ex-powerlifter. Never had to diet. Lived around 60 pounds less than I am now. Very little cardio. Great legs and arms!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight and didn't do much weight lifting and now I have hanging skin. I used my muscle to burn instead of building the muscle when losing weight. You have the right book coming to you. Read it cover to cover. You will be pleased.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy, in addition to my cardio (running and dance) and I LOVE it! It really helps to boost your metabolism too, as the more lean muscle mass you have the more calories your body burns just existing. I definitely recommend getting started on it and working it into your workout routine.
  • _xoxok
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! Looks like I'm making the right decision! :smile:
  • _xoxok
    Options
    I just started lifting and LOVE it. Here's a thread I started last week...might interest you. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/499320-women-lifters

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    My trainer always encouraged me and the other women to incorporate both into your routine...
  • Maridelsol82
    Options
    I've lost more weight lifting weights then just cardio. This was recently confirmed by my sports nutritionist who told me that weight training will help an individual lose more weight then cardio alone. Both are good but try doing more weights.
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I started a few months ago doing what I could. Mostly 10 min cardio, 10 min weights. As my stamina built up, I did 15/15. Now, I do about 15-30 min cardio & 60-75 min weights. I've lost 24 lbs over the course of 5 months and I feel like I see more of a difference in my body even though I haven't lost as much weight as I'd like. I feel like it's important to stay toned as I drop weight so I don't get flabby. Also, I'm not trying to get "thin", I want to be stronger, firmer, healthier. I love my curves, but I want to have the RIGHT curves. So lifting works for me. I've also noticed I've lost inches quicker since I started lifting more. I can feel the weights getting lighter & feel happy when I can get to the next level. My trainer told me it's good to balance your lifting with your cardio so your body adjusts accordingly. High stamina AND toned muscles is always a plus.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I've lost 12 pounds since Thanksgiving by doing 4 weight lifting days per week and 1-2 days of cardio. Some weeks I don't have time for cardio and don't get it in... Anyway, with those 12 pounds lost, I also went from a US size 12 to a US size 6. I last measured in January, so I might be even smaller.

I used to be a cardio junkie, but I don't see the point in it anymore. I lose fat by controlling my calorie intake, and I sculpt my body by lifting very heavy weights 4 days per week. I do the cardio to create an even larger calorie sink for the week, but never as an excuse to "eat back exercise calories." I calculated my TDEE and BMR, and I eat between them to lose body fat...so I don't even calculate exercise calories anymore.

I've seen much better results doing this than doing endless cardio sessions and worrying about exercise calories. I also am stronger, tighter, and leaner...not just simply "lighter on the scale."
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I am on Stage 5 of the New Rules of Lifting for Women and I love it!

First off, I've discovered that I despise cardio and love, love, love hard, heavy compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, etc.). I've seen my body composition change radically. I look a lot better than I ever have.

I probably spend about 60 minutes a week on the cardio machines, running or using the stair climber. I also play squash 2x a week. This is the only 'fun' cardio IMO. Otherwise, I spend about 4 hours a week lifting weights.

Now, my goal was to lose 20lbs while changing my body composition. I'm half way to my goal. Based on calculating my TDEE and deducting 20%, my daily calorie goal is 1400. I aim to lose a little less than a pound a week. Now, NROLFW is adamant about eating at maintenance if you want to make any significant gains in the muscle department, but if weight loss is your goal (like it is mine) just realize that you won't see the same results as people eating at maintenance and you won't be able to lift as heavy.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    women who lift look so nice

heart-attack-ab120309.jpg

men have heart attack due to their looks
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hey, there's a New Rules of Lifting for Women group too:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • _xoxok
    Options
    Totally forgot to ask how many times a week do you all lift weights ..... Oops :laugh:
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    yes..

i lift and do moderate cardio..or not much at all..i usally get on the treadmill after lifting for 30 mins..i may actually run 10-20 mins..depending on how i feel..i walk the rest of the time.

i am growing stronger..i am not technically eating at a calorie deficit..just around my EER..1700 cals a day. i am getting stronger, so i know i'm gaining muscle.

my body composition has changed..better than just cardio, and better than just lifting alone..both together seem for me to work the best..
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Definitely incorporate weights! It can only help to increase muscle and boost your metabolism. Plus, you'll tone your body as you're losing weight - weight loss alone does not equal tone. I do like to run (usually 2-3 miles 3 times a week), but my body looks best when I'm consistently running and lifting weights. Good luck!
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I lifted weights a couple years and lost like 30 pounds. I was in the best shape ever! Way better shape then I was with hours of cardio. I stopped working out for a couple years and gained weight back, and I just started working out again a few weeks ago. I'm doing the P90X program which is mostly heavy lifting. I already know how great lifting works for women, so I'm sticking to what I know. I highly recommend weight training...and make sure you're not lifting girlie 3 lb weights. Women are much stronger than that!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!