Rant SO

Options
Anyone else's SO hate the fact that you measure, weigh, account for everything you eat? Mine does. I'm not sure why it bothers him so much. I really wish he would be supportive. He hates everything about this site. He is 6ft3in, 210#, so he def. doesn't have a wt problem and never has. He thinks I should just eat right and work out. Obviously if I knew how to do that correctly I wouldn't be in the boat i'm in. Yesterday I tried talking to him about cutting down on sugars and he couldn't stand it (kinda comical). Atleast I have the MFP community for support! :) Maybe he'll believe in this site in a month or 2 when there is some progress made.

Don't get me wrong he is an amazing man and I'm so lucky to have him as a husband. We just don't see eye to eye on fitness and nutrition.

Replies

• emmamcblain
    Options
    Maybe once he see's the benefits and that you're not going to go off the rails, he'll soon change his tune. :)

I don't have a SO but some of my friends fuss a bit, and it can't half get irritating at times!
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    He's not so much the measuring as what I eat. He seems to think you just need to eat salads, just doesn't get the whole nutrition thing.

Yeah like your DH, he is like 10% body fat so changing anything is hard.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If he isn't going to be supportive, I'd make what you eat off limits as a topic of conversation. I'd be worried about some underlying issue, actually, if my husband expressed actual irritation at my eating habits. Unless you talk about nothing else but food and dieting, it's really not for him to worry about.
    Irritation at your trying to improve your health is not what a supportive person does. Why would he do that? I'd want to know.

That just isn't cool.
  • MenaMena
    MenaMena Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I think, sometimes, when people don't have a weight problem or if their health challenge is different it is difficult to appreciate the struggle. At this point, it probably comes 2nd nature to him, so he just doesn't get it. Maybe just try to be more subtle when you measure so that he is less aware that you are doing it, then let the results speak for you. Good luck.
  • ninelives58
    ninelives58 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. And I've almost reached my goal and still hubby sometimes rolls his eyes when I don't eat something or not too much of it because I don't want to go over my calories. And God forbid I should comment on HIS portions! I just keep on doing what I'm doing, try not to make a big issue out of it, and hope that he'll want to change his ways because he needs this as much as I did.
  • sojillish
    Options
    I'm lucky cause mine has been really supportive but that is because he's in the same boat. Granted if he tried he could drop it fast. Men are made up differently than women. It's scientific fact. Our bodies are made to hold more fat for evolutionary purpose.. mainly birthing children. We also have way more wacky hormones too. Maybe the reason he has problems for it is he thinks you are absolutely perfect just the way you are. Tell him I know you love me just the way I am... but I think if I feel better about my body I'll rock you even more in the sack... What guy will argue with that?!?! :P