HEALTHY FILLING FOODS

Options
Hi

Can anyone recommend some healthy filling breakfast meals please. I've skipped breakfast for years because i found that if i ate breakfast then i was hungry all day and ate things that were bad for me but I want to try and balance out my eating so can you please recommend me some filling breakfasts and also snacks as I have a very sweet tooth.

Replies

• rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    As far as snacks - I love Skinny Cow. They have ice creams around 100-150 calories, also candy and crunchy snacks. You just gotta be careful going over on those.

I have never been a breakfast eater either which is why I think I was always snacking by 9 or 10. Now I do yogurt with a little granola, just pick a low carb/sugar if you can. I also drink tea to get in the water, trying to dump coffee.

WW also makes some nice muffins and breakfast type - again just gotta watch the carbs on those. But if you crave chocolate or Blueberry muffin they really help.
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    1 tbsp peanut butter on 1 slice whole wheat bread or 1 serving oatmeal with 1/2 c blueberries (fresh or frozen without sugar), 2 fried eggs and 1 whole wheat english muffin, hard boiled egg and banana, granola bar and apple, cheese stick and apple
    Good luck!
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    1 tbsp peanut butter on 1 slice whole wheat bread or 1 serving oatmeal with 1/2 c blueberries (fresh or frozen without sugar), 2 fried eggs and 1 whole wheat english muffin, hard boiled egg and banana, granola bar and apple, cheese stick and apple
    Good luck!

Great ideas! I have a greek yogurt or a cup of strawberrys and a half cup of 1% cottage cheese. It may have taken me a while to get there tho. I cant remeber....
  • KT0104
    KT0104 Posts: 33
    Options
    I had the same problem, however have found if I eat little and often, I don't get hungry! Colleagues were commenting on how I never stopped eating, but was losing weight! It's all about keeping your blood sugar levels steady ~ insulin is your enemy!!

I try to stay away from wheat, so love porridge for breakfast ~ you can even buy convenient sachet's ~ and use skimmed milk. I would have one of them and some fruit for breakfast ~ mango, a banana or raspberries.
    I eat every 2-3 hours (honest!) ~ will snack on fruit, or raw veggies ~ or Nature Valley Granola bars (but only one a day as they have a lot of sugar in them), bite sized flavoured oat bites or rice cakes ~ low GI so it will help keep your blood sugar stable.
    Lunch is usually salad or cous cous (and more fruit!) and I'll have a balanced, healthy dinner.
    This combined with exercise helped me lose an amazing 3 stones in 6 months last year! And the exercise wasn't over the top: walking, zumba and circuit training.

The only drawback is that I fell off the horse and now can't get back on it!! Now I've lost the momentum, it's SO much harder! But I KNOW when I get back into the way of it, it will work ~ on the days I don't eat like that I end up hungrier and I've usually consumed MORE calories!!
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Also yogurt and fruit, or plain greek yogurt with low calorie sweetner and fruit
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt and eggs! = my life.
  • joannes68
    Options
    Egg cups - fill cup cake pans with liners and fill half way with sausage or veggies if you don't eat meat.. Some cheese and bake - when cooled pop then out and freeze - grab 2 out in the morning and heat in the microwave, maybe a slice of toast and you done.. Hot tea in the morning helps fill me too.. I tend to skip breakfast too sometimes just because I don't feel like making something.. These are made and in the freezer - ready to go..

You will find different variations of egg cups in the food diary selections pending if you like whites or whole eggs.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I used to never eat breakfast either, but found that I do much better if I do. I love Eggo low fat whole grain waffles. I eat one with a teaspoon of peanut butter lots of mornings. I also will eat a boiled egg and a piece of fruit or slice of bacon. If you have a Dunkin Donuts near you they have a bacon, egg and cheese wrap that is delis and less than 200 calories. I eat a lot of fruit for snack, but if I'm craving chocolate I'll have a Fiber One bar. They have great flavor, and the chocolate one is really good.
  • mickyjg
    Options
    Thanks, there are some great ideas, keep them coming please. I can't eat porridge but the yogurt and granola sounds good, is granola sugary? never had it before :happy:
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    I drink a protein shake made with almond milk that fills me up for hours....i don't like breakfast but need fuel for my workouts this works for me!
  • IzzyLaw16
    Options
    Raisins are a really food snack. A box of sunmaid raising is 43 calories and they are good for sweet cravings. For breakfast weight watchers bagels with light philidelphia are really filling x
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Not everyone likes oatmeal but it's my breakfast staple. I never seem to get bored with it as long as I vary what I eat for breakfast on the weekends. I make a big pot of steel cut oats on Sundays and portion it out for the week. In the mornings, I pop it in the microwave for two minutes after adding a touch of water. When it's out I stir in 1/4 cup of part skim ricotta. This makes it creamy and gives me an extra bit of added protein which keeps my full even longer. Then I add whatever berries I bought for the week to make it sweet.
  • chubbytiff
    chubbytiff Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree with oatmeal. I use weight control oatmeal by quaker. My mornings are hectic so I do simple. I once upon a time didnt eat anything for breakfast either. Try to down a glass of water before you eat also, it does help. You are getting hungry when you eat it because your metabolism has kicked up a notch. Then you can have a small healthy snack a couple hrs later. Fruit, greek yogurt is filling because of the protein. Some of the snack bars are also a good snack just watch the carbs and sugar. Hope this helps.
  • blv0267
    blv0267 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    1 serving of greek yogurt mixed with a tablespoon of flaxseed and 1/2 a serving of kashi go lean crunch cereal. On the side...a tangerine.
    Egg white sandwich on bagel thin with green pepper ring and 1 oz of feta cheese.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup mashed up berries , 1/3 cup quick cooking oats, 2/3 cup water. Nuke it for 1 min 30 secs. You can add nuts or wheat germ to it but be careful, they have a lot of calories.
  • crazylizz
    crazylizz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The key to eating breakfast and not feeling ravenous the rest of the day is protein. If I eat cereal and milk I am hungry all day. If I eat oatmeal with nuts and a greek yogurt, no problem.

Greek yogurt has been life changing for me, it gives great protein, is more satisfying than plain yogurt and helps keep your gut healthy. I also love egg white omelets stuffed with mushrooms, spinach, green onions, red peppers, jalepenos and just a bit of cheddar cheese. Yummo! It keeps me full for hours!
  • ajh1014
    ajh1014 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love 1/2 c egg beaters made omelet style with some ff cheese on a flat out - burrito style! I've also added mushrooms, onions and even salsa if you can handle that on eggs. Very filling.

Also oatmeal with 3/4 c blueberries is really good and filling too.
  • inr0myr
    inr0myr Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    scrambled egg (1 or 2 eggs) with mushroom and cherry tomatoes slightly cooked in olive oil. You can prepare it all in 10min.
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have porridge oats with a heap of berries, huge dollop of 0% Greek yoghurt, 1/2 cup of skimmed milk and squeeze of honey every morning. I don't eat it as porridge, more like museli . Sometimes I have an omelette sandwich with tomato ketchup, but find my oat breakfast the most satisfying. I have fruit, an apple or satsuma around 11, then a big pot of salad with tuna or salmon at lunchtime, if it's cold a make a big pot of veg n lentil soup to have at lunchtime. For dinner I have a ton of veg, mashed celeriac or steamed squash/ sweet potato with cabbage /cauliflower/broccoli / fine beans/ carrots with roast chicken(no skin) fish a grilled chop, steak . There are lots of good recipes on this site.
    Good luck.