Counting Calories

Options
I never realized how many calories I was eating till I started using this today. I'm just starting out on this journey and am in definate need of help. Its not even lunch time and I'm down to 800 or so calories left for the day. How do yall do it and not stay hungry during the day?

Replies

• picimadar
    picimadar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    1. Drink water.
    2. Drink more water.
    3. No, seriously, drink water. A glass before every meal, and then another every time you feel hungry. The body cannot tell the difference between being hungry and thirsty sometimes, especially if it is used to you getting a lot of your daily water intake from foods you eat. Drink water every time you feel hungry, a large glass, and wait 10 minutes. If you're still hungry, eat.
    4. Eat only natural foods. Can't be said enough. If you're 'hungry' for something sweet, eat an orange or some other fruit. If your taste doesn't want you to eat the natural product, you're not hungry, it's just a craving, and it will pass.
  • TopazCarey
    Options
    Make healthier choices and exercise. The more you exercise, the more you can eat. It's brilliant, really.
  • JenniferLynWhat
    Options
    Truely..Once you know what's in the food you're eating..it's a lot easier to put things into perspective. What was once "Oh it's only 200 calories" is now "That's all I get for 200 calories?" Just take it day by day..one meal at a time... and break it up into small things...if you're not "starving" by the time it's meal time..you won't eat as much...plus there are things like fruits and veggies that have very few calories for a good amount of food.

Most of it is mental. If you think you're not eating enough..you'll feel hungry...if you know that you are...you won't think about it and you'll be fine
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I may not be the best person to answer this as I do eat a lot (2300 before any exercise calories), but I do try to eat the healthiest options - for example, if I'm craving crunchy, I'll have carrots or celery versus chips. However, if don't deny myself anything, I just make sure that it is what I really want - ie do I really want chocolate or will some grapes work for something sweet?
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Planing and diving up your total calories b/w each meal. Look at other people's diaries to find some healthy low calorie options. Check out www.skinnytaste.com for recipes. Stay away from any processed foods as they are always high in sodium. Measure and weigh all foods. Pack a lunch if you are working so you don't get tempted to go on a suicide run to a restaurant at lunch. Good luck.
  • kazzamcamille
    kazzamcamille Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You want to stay at 1200 or above depending on your set calories. To keep your metabolism up eat every 2-3 hours. Eat smart and healthy. I like to eat bananas or apples with peanut butter for a filling snack. Dont worry so much about going over if you ate healthy and smart. As long as your happy and proud of yourself that day you did great! Try to get in some exercise calories so you can eat half or all of them back. Drink lots of water (it really does fill you up). Remember this is a lifestyle change and not just a temporary diet :) listen to your body!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I never realized how many calories I was eating till I started using this today. I'm just starting out on this journey and am in definate need of help. Its not even lunch time and I'm down to 800 or so calories left for the day. How do yall do it and not stay hungry during the day?

What's your goal calories?

I tend to plan in advance and log my dinner and lunch in the morning, or even the night before, so that I know how much I''ve got left for snacks, drinks etc.
  • Jessnluv
    Options
    I eat a lot of negative calorie foods and snacks like:
    Apples
    Blackberries
    Canteloupe
    Cranberries
    Clementines
    Grapefruit
    Guava
    Oranges
    Papaya
    Peaches
    Pinapples
    Raspberries
    Rhubarb
    Strawberries
    Watermelon

Asparagus
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Leek
    Lettuce
    Radish
    Spinach
    Tomatoes
    Turnips
    Zucchini

Your body burns more calories processing these foods than the calories from the foods!!
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I started MFP the day after Christmas and thought the EXACT same thing. Holy cow! I've used up my 1200 calories and I stlll need to eat dinner. I promise you it gets easier. You start reading labels. You start learning about serving sizes. You start trying to not go over your calorie goal. For me, I never actually cut anything out. If I want a cookie, I'll eat it. I just won't eat 5 cookies. Keep at it. It took me a while to finally come close to the 1200 calories.

Now, two months later......it's easier. I ask for a to-go box at the restaurant. I don't go back for seconds at home, unless I worked out that day. I cook more. This way I know what's going into my food.

Good Luck! Stick with it!
  • lindam20
    Options
    how many calories are you allowed for the day? Im on 1500 calories and it is seems tobe plenty of food when you make good choices. I eat about 300 calories at breakfast, 200 for a snack before lunch, then 400 at lunch and 600 for dinner. I try to do 30 minutes of exercise which allows for another 150-200 calories for another snack if I want. I save the most amount of calories for dinner and that one seems the hardest because I eat with whole family and it often is food my kids like - pizza, lasagna burgers etc. It gets easier as you start realizing which foods to avoid.
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Apples
    Blackberries
    Canteloupe
    Cranberries
    Clementines
    Grapefruit
    Guava
    Oranges
    Papaya
    Peaches
    Pinapples
    Raspberries
    Rhubarb
    Strawberries
    Watermelon

Asparagus
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Leek
    Lettuce
    Radish
    Spinach
    Tomatoes
    Turnips
    Zucchini

Your body burns more calories processing these foods than the calories from the foods!!

Wow.....wish I liked more of these. ^^^^^
  • Happymom12
    Happymom12 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Funny my first day on here I was like I'm not going to watch what I eat and just be normal. Yeah I ate like 2800 calories that day and well the recommended calorie intake for me on here is 1270. I realized I tend to snack even if not hungry out of either boredom, stress, or it is just there. You can chew gum which most are only 5 calories and yes drink water or other non calorie drinks like unsweetened tea and well black coffee is almost calorie free 2 calories for 8 oz. I now drink more water, enjoy what I eat and most day am under my calorie count.

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]17551503.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • anarose13
    anarose13 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when i first joined, after a couple days you learn what to cut out to help but alot i do alot of small exercises during the day, like crunches or sit ups or a work out video in the morning. dance is great for calorie burn too.
  • katherinemm31
    Options
    Planing and diving up your total calories b/w each meal. Look at other people's diaries to find some healthy low calorie options. Check out www.skinnytaste.com for recipes. Stay away from any processed foods as they are always high in sodium. Measure and weigh all foods. Pack a lunch if you are working so you don't get tempted to go on a suicide run to a restaurant at lunch. Good luck.
    First, OMG, we have a dog that looks just like yours! Have no idea what she is--some kind of mix, I think. Anyway, I've figured out I eat more in the later afternoon and early evening than I do morning until early afternoon. I kept going over my calorie limit because I tried to eat equally throughout the day. This just has not worked. So I am now trying to eat mainly low cal things during the day and save more calories for the evening. I exercise in the evenings, too, so it's not as bad as it sounds. It's just that my will power deteriorates as the day progresses, so I'm adjusting. I am also changing the way I view binge foods--I can't eat those because they cause an actual chemical reaction that causes binges. So between these two changes, I am hoping to be more successful.
  • katherinemm31
    Options
    Apples
    Blackberries
    Canteloupe
    Cranberries
    Clementines
    Grapefruit
    Guava
    Oranges
    Papaya
    Peaches
    Pinapples
    Raspberries
    Rhubarb
    Strawberries
    Watermelon

Asparagus
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Leek
    Lettuce
    Radish
    Spinach
    Tomatoes
    Turnips
    Zucchini

Fortunately, I love a lot of these things. And they are filling.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    This is a typical reaction when you're new. You're just not used to stopping and thinking about what you are eating. It's uncomfortable at first, but all change is. Just keep working at it and you'll start to learn.

Also, if you want to take a slower path, and thus have more calories, you can play with you settings, like instead of 2 lbs per week, switch it to 1 lb per week.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    First, OMG, we have a dog that looks just like yours! Have no idea what she is--some kind of mix, I think. Anyway, I've figured out I eat more in the later afternoon and early evening than I do morning until early afternoon. I kept going over my calorie limit because I tried to eat equally throughout the day. This just has not worked. So I am now trying to eat mainly low cal things during the day and save more calories for the evening. I exercise in the evenings, too, so it's not as bad as it sounds. It's just that my will power deteriorates as the day progresses, so I'm adjusting. I am also changing the way I view binge foods--I can't eat those because they cause an actual chemical reaction that causes binges. So between these two changes, I am hoping to be more successful.

That is so funny. Which dog are you talking about. The long haired bushy one or the short haired one. The short haired one is mine. The long haired one is her brother and he belongs to my brother. They are both from the humane society and are supposed to be shephard/collie mixes.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Apples
    Blackberries
    Canteloupe
    Cranberries
    Clementines
    Grapefruit
    Guava
    Oranges
    Papaya
    Peaches
    Pinapples
    Raspberries
    Rhubarb
    Strawberries
    Watermelon

Asparagus
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Leek
    Lettuce
    Radish
    Spinach
    Tomatoes
    Turnips
    Zucchini

Not sure where you got your information. Most of those are healthy choices but the only negative food I know of is ice water. Some of those are very high in sugar. On the South Beach plan we aren't even allowed beets, pineapple and watermelon because of their high sugar content.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Apples
    Blackberries
    Canteloupe
    Cranberries
    Clementines
    Grapefruit
    Guava
    Oranges
    Papaya
    Peaches
    Pinapples
    Raspberries
    Rhubarb
    Strawberries
    Watermelon

Asparagus
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Leek
    Lettuce
    Radish
    Spinach
    Tomatoes
    Turnips
    Zucchini

Not sure where you got your information. Most of those are healthy choices but the only negative food I know of is ice water. Some of those are very high in sugar. On the South Beach plan we aren't even allowed beets, pineapple and watermelon because of their high sugar content.

the negative calorie thing is BS (sorry), you coult not eat only these foods and count them as nothing. Have you seen pineapple on mpf? 165g is like 90-100 cal.....