Best Time for Weigh Ins

Options
So I have only been on this site since Wednesday...I have been actively trying to lose weight since January. I love this site!! I have a question:

What is the best and most accurate time of the day for a weigh in? I am trying to do it in the mornings, but even then it varies so much from day to day. For example, I weighed in at 156.8 yesterday morning, and today I weighed in at 155.6, my lowest yet! I am just confused about how often I should do it and when. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

- Johana

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, naked (or in underwear only), after going to the bathroom and before eating or drinking. It is going to vary a bit sometimes anyway, though, for reasons like water retention and issues of how much 'stuff' is in your system relative to your bathroom habits. ;-) What's most important is to keep track of the trend over time. Sometimes I'm up a lb for a few days b/c of working out harder than usual, I just know not to let it freak me out b/c it's only water weight and tends to fall back off after a couple of days or after a day of rest. I only track my lowest weights, although sometimes I will wait until I get that lower reading a couple of times before logging it. :-)
  • johanaaah
    johanaaah Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

How often are you logging it? Is it obsessive that I'm doing it everyday? Should I do it once a week?
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, naked (or in underwear only), after going to the bathroom and before eating or drinking.

I would modify that to suggest drinking 8 ounces of "something", whether that be water, coffee, tea, what have you. Reason being that you tend to be dehydrated in the morning so, while doing so consistently will give you a comparable number, a number that shows a more normal state of hydration would be more accurate.

For reference, remember "a pint is a pound".
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

How often are you logging it? Is it obsessive that I'm doing it everyday? Should I do it once a week?

For tracking purposes I log weekly, though I do get on it daily. Some folks get too obsessive going on it daily due to the day-to-day fluctuations -- me, I find it interesting and don't get all bugged out about it.