Banana ideas...

Options
porffor
porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
ok.. got some mega cheap bananas... any ideas what I can do with them that isn't TOO bad?

Replies

• JenSmith1104
    Options
    Freeze and then blend for a custardy-like "ice cream".
  • porffor
    Options
    Do you freeze them peeled? Can you still use for cooking that way?

I've never done anything but eat them raw or heated with pancakes /ice cream :blushing:
  • spekticalface
    spekticalface Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    peel them, chop them up, put in container and plonk them in the freezer

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/513194

this has some extras you can add but theres no need if your wanting an uber healthy snack
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Use them in protien drinks or for a fruit smoothie. I love mango, bananas and pineapple smoothies. Mmmm....
  • porffor
    Options
    Great thank for the tips ladies!! :) I could look at taking some frozen with me to uni for a snack on the go. Even if they don't live a full day in transit I could consume early.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    my faves:

banana and pb (melt the pb in the microwave and dip slices in)

toast with pb, nutella and mashed banana
  • BigZ486
    BigZ486 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This is something I saw on Rachael Ray's show and tried it out, and it was fantastic:

Let the bananas ripen and soften, until the peels have plenty of spots on them. (pure yellow bananas freeze so hard you won't be able to eat them) Peel the bananas, cut them in half, stick a popsicle stick or wooden skewer into the flat-cut base of half of the banana, then lay them down on a cookie sheet and stick them in the freezer overnight to freeze.

After they're frozen, pull them out of the freezer and spread peanut butter (or nutella if you prefer) on them while they're still frozen. Then you can roll the peanut butter-covered bananas around in whatever crunchy topping you like (Rachael did crushed peanuts, I did M&Ms). Stick them back in the freezer overnight, and then you have plenty of delicious, mostly healthy frozen desserts.
  • emfilomena
    Options
    Slice them up, dip them in Greek yogurt, and freeze! They will come out very creamy, sweet, and decadent in my humble opinion. I usually use a Chobani Greek yogurt, blueberry flavor : ) YUM!
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    As I type this, I'm eating an english muffin topped with BP peanut butter with banana slices covering each half. YUM!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    add them to smoothies, freeze them, mash them up, add some flour and make banana fritters, check 'healthy banana cookies' on allrecipes.com that, make the banana bread from skinnytaste.com...
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I add to my chocolate smoothies.

I also add to steel cut oats with walnuts in the morning

And, always freeze them. Not in the peel. I cut them in slices or chunks and freeze on a cookie sheet then once frozen I put in individual baggies. Use for smoothies for flavor and instead of ice which waters down your smoothie.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I usually use banana's in shakes. I am sure you can google some interesting and unique ideas for shakes. :)
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I mash one up and add chocolate PB2. I also will toss it in with my protein shake and add a little rum ext.
  • RachNRoll
    RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Banana smoothies are awesome, use skim milk and add a touch of vanilla essence (a tiny bit), you'll love the flavour.

Plus, you can also chopp them and mix a tbs of peanut butter .

Another suggestion, is what I call my "Saturday's brunch" (because I wake up too late for breakfast and too soon for lunch on weekends):

1 greek yogurt
    1 banana chopped
    1 or 2 kiwi chopped
    1 orange chopped
    mix it up and ... eat . It's delicious and an awesome energy boost in the morning.
  • porffor
    Options
    add them to smoothies, freeze them, mash them up, add some flour and make banana fritters, check 'healthy banana cookies' on allrecipes.com that, make the banana bread from skinnytaste.com...

Double batch of this is in the oven!! lol hope it works out - I did it a flan dish as 'flap jacks' :) Allows us to cut as we want. I've added apricots instead of dates though. :smile: didn't have dates in the house.

The popsicles sound LOVELY!!
    and the greek yoghurt too!!

10p a kilo and I'm finding lots to do with them! lol I bought 3kilo worth so just as well! lol They still need some time to ripen mostly but all good.

Thanks so much!
  • porffor
    Options
    As I type this, I'm eating an english muffin topped with BP peanut butter with banana slices covering each half. YUM!

sounds good :)

I do have them with porridge most mornings (or blueberries).

Thanks again.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    This is something I saw on Rachael Ray's show and tried it out, and it was fantastic:

Let the bananas ripen and soften, until the peels have plenty of spots on them. (pure yellow bananas freeze so hard you won't be able to eat them) Peel the bananas, cut them in half, stick a popsicle stick or wooden skewer into the flat-cut base of half of the banana, then lay them down on a cookie sheet and stick them in the freezer overnight to freeze.

After they're frozen, pull them out of the freezer and spread peanut butter (or nutella if you prefer) on them while they're still frozen. Then you can roll the peanut butter-covered bananas around in whatever crunchy topping you like (Rachael did crushed peanuts, I did M&Ms). Stick them back in the freezer overnight, and then you have plenty of delicious, mostly healthy frozen desserts.

I will so have to try this! I can never seem to eat my bananas fast enough, and I don't like them after they get spots. This sounds like a great solution! Thanks!! :)
  • porffor
    Options
    The banana cookies made as flapjacks went down a storm!! All but my middle (fussy eater) daughter tucked into them!!

Thanks again for the tips.