Anyone having or had weight loss surgery??

Options
I am in the process of having a vertical sleeve gastrectomy.. I would love to speak with others who have had it done or are in the process or even are thinking about it.. This is my last option and it going really well thus far.. I have to do 6 months of supervised weight loss with a dietitian which just means I follow the eating guidelines and see her once a month to weigh in and speak to her about how its been going. I also have seen the psychologist for 2 months and it has been decided that I am not crazy and could be psychologically cleared to move forward. I would love to hear what others have to say.. Let me know

Replies

• ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had VSG in Jan 2011. To date I've lost 149 lbs. I had to do the dietician and pschologists as well as see my pcp every month and mindful eating classes and more. Its the best thing I've ever done for myself. But I will say this.....its a surreal process. I dropped weight so fast that my mimd is still catching up. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Add me!
  • Libby0218
    Libby0218 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass, RNY, on 10-24-11. Although not the same surgery, we can still support each other and be accountable on the journey to a more healthy life! I wish you well!
  • sarahwls100609
    sarahwls100609 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had Gastric bypass and I am down 114 lbs. and my diabetes has reversed. I was on 5 insulin shots a day and 2000mg of metformin. I now have my life back and I love MFP. I have met some really nice people on here and it keeps me
    accountable as well as I enjoy the encouragement and support also. I wish you much success in your weight loss. Feel free to
    add me if you wish. And, the best of luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • amberkokette
    Options
    Thanks so much.. I will remember that.. I am so ready for this experience. I am so excited to see you have done so well. What has been the hardest part for you and what is your favorite protein source??
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I got the lapband in 2005. I am down 68kg /149lbs but I got to lower and gained some back. It's not easy, good luck.
  • kikislove2
    kikislove2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in march 2011 and lost 107lbs. It's not easy and you still have to be very disciplined. I work out alot to try to keep the loose skin as much in control as I can. But I don't regret any of it. I am off the blood pressure meds, off the asthma inhalers (notice inhalers is in plural form), the arithis is my knees have gotten better and I just feel great. If you have any questions at all feel free to ask.
  • amberkokette
    Options
    Nicole what has been the hardest part after surgery for you?? What has been your favorite protein source??
  • amberkokette
    Options
    Can I just say I am grateful for any support I can get.. ask me to be your friend. This is another awesome resource for me and I have a long way to go.. I can do this and I know that I can. I am ready to start my new thinner life in 2012..
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Here is a support group that was started here for bariatric patients. Come and join!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1402-broken-bariatric-and-needs-help
  • lgerweck
    Options
    I had my VSG surgery on July 20, 2011. This Friday (1/20/12) will be six months post op and I am down 78 pounds - from 264 to 186. I have about 30-40 more pounds I want to lose and I know I'll get there. I love love love my sleeve and have never regretted it. If I had to do it all over again, I would do it in a heart beat. I definitely would not be where I am today without it. That said - the sleeve gastrectomy or any WLS for that matter is NOT an easy way out. I have had to work just as hard with watching what I eat and I exercise more than ever. This process requires a lifestyle change - more than just having your stomach removed. That's why they make you see a psychologist to make sure you're capable of handling the changes.

Feel free to add me as a friend on here and message me if you have ANY questions!!!

Good luck!
  • krystal198475
    Options
    My name is Krystal and I have just completed the process for the VSG. My surgery date is March 12. I'm up against the 10 pound weight loss, it keeps going up and down but hopefully It will go down and stay down. After all the yo-yoing I have lost another 3 pounds. (YAY ME).. I was hoping to get to talk to others that have gone through it and what they did to help keep the wieght off before surgery. Thanks
  • mpbl282
    Options
    I had the gastric sleeve done on December 14, 2011, I am just over 2mos out and feel great! I have lost 39pds since surgery, but since starting with the practice in October I have lost 59pds. Since my highest weight I have lost 81pds! I wouldn't change my decision, I think it has been the best decision I have ever made in my life. Don't get me wrong, there have been times that I thought to myself what have I done (fat girl mentality kicking in) but I know I made the right choice! Good luck to all those who are in the process! If you have any questions feel free to ask or even better add me!
  • jenxbennett
    jenxbennett Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had lap band in Aug 2009, down 88 lbs, still plugging away. I am very happy with my decision.
    My favorite protein sources are greek yogurt, fish,eggs, and cheese in any form.
    Feel free to friend me!
    good luck on your journey.