What do you think about when you work out?

Options
I have a very active imagination and when I work out I let it loose. Sometimes it goes a little far, but it helps me work out harder.
For example, at first I tried thinking skinny. What I would do, what I would wear, where I would go when I get skinny. That works for a little bit. But one day, I was listening to a song, I think it was "Before He Cheats" by Kerrie Underwood, and I started thinking about what I would do if my husband were to ever cheat on me. For about 30 minutes I thought of different scenarios (some crazy, some dangerous, some insanely funny ways) to get back at him. It made me really angry thinking about it. Before I realized I had completed my time on the elliptical and burned about 100 more calories than ever. I was sweating like crazy, my heart was pounding and I felt great! I hate the elliptical and I'm always looking at the timer wishing time would go faster, but I finally found something that really takes my mind off it. I've thought about a lot different things, like what I would do if someone where ever to put their hands on my son, or If I ever got in a fight with my upstairs neighbor ( who I cannot stand!) what I would do to her.
I'm really one of the most sweet, sensitive, and patient people you'll ever meet :flowerforyou: , but I'm very dangerous when I'm angry:devil: .....
So now that you know how insane in the brain I am, what do you guys think about while you work out?

Replies

• Mayreni
    Mayreni Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I usually read a book on my kindle :)
  • samanthagreen3
    samanthagreen3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thats brilliant! Im usually just looking at the timer or counting steps...Im going to try something like this. Maybe it might make the time go quicker!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I think about my favorite sensei, a 9th degree black belt in his mid-60s. I want to be like him when I grow up! ;-) Every time I go to a clinic that he is teaching, I come home feeling like I've had several amps of epinephrine. And at home, when I'm doing something hard and trying to push myself to dig a little deeper, I just imagine that he is standing over me critiquing.
  • Front_Runner
    Options
    I really get into my head when I'm doing any cardio workout - especially if I'm in the gym listening to my iPod. I focus mostly on my dreams - WHY I started this journey. I envision my goals and literally picture myself doing them. I see myself as a very strong and competetive rider (I'm a horse gal FYI), I see myself as a strong runner, a visualize myself charging down the mountain on a snowboard - zipping past my husband. This is what I think about. It totally helps... and at times (this is a little much, but I bet some of you will understand), I've actually gotten a little lump in my throat and a couple tears while working out. It's not that I was sad - just SO determined and SO driven that the feeling not only fuels my workout, but stirs up emotion.

As soon as that happens, I distract myself! lol I don't want to freak anyone out - crying on the treadmill! lol

But yes - my thoughts totally help me!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I also have given birth without pain meds. When I am holding a plank and it starts getting hard, I use the same techniques that I used to breathe through contractions.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm useless at thinking of things to distract me when I'm working out. My thoughts are usually on how long/far I still have to go, and how much time is dragging.