Kettlebells question

Options
Do any of you do kettlebells at home? if so do you use a DVD with it? What do you think of kettlebells VS traditional weight?

Replies

• jlbary00
    Options
    I do kettlebells at home. I have 2 DVD's that i use. One is primarily for strength and the other Bob Harper's Cardio Sculpt is for strength and cardio. I really enjoy it and it's nice that i can do it on my own schedule. It really helps build your core and you use your own strength and resistance for a lot of it. I recommend adding it into any workout routine!
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Do any of you do kettlebells at home? if so do you use a DVD with it? What do you think of kettlebells VS traditional weight?

I used to lift traditional weights up until the early 90s, then fell out of it.

I've recently gotten into using kettle bells at home and am *loving* it. I never lifted for mass, and the kettle bell seems to be a nice combination of cardio, resistence (at obviously lower weights than lifting free weights) and core.

I'm using the Kettle Worx series of DVDs.
  • jbosey
    jbosey Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I ordered Bob Harper's kettlebell, it has a curved front and back to be more comfortable on your wrists, its really a nice looking kettlebell, as kettlebells go. Since it is the first one that I have ever seen, Im not that great a kettlebell judge! It also comes with his 30 minute rookie routine. I am 57 and out of shape since my 30's. The most I lift on a normal day is 50 lb bags of horse feed when I have to bring it home from the feed store, or picking my Goldwing motorcycle off the side stand. Everything I read said that a male starting out, should begin with a 25lb kettlebell.

I just got through with the whole 30 minute routine! Well, maybe to be absolutely truthful, I should say, I just got through with WATCHING the whole 30 minute routine (the female is quite attractive). After the first 3 or 4 minutes, i could barely hear my heart beating out of my chest over the creaking of both of my tired old knees. At this point I find that Im going to have to leave the squats and swings that use your knees out of the routine until I can lose about 50 more lbs and take something that will not feel like my knee knuckle joints are scraping together! Unfortunately most of the primary excercises use your knees., so it is really going to limit my kettlebell work.

I like the kettlebell and man it really gets you (or ME) breathing hard fast. It also makes walking fast on the treadmill so much more enjoyable in comparison to this excerise from hell. I believe i will start back walking fast on the treadmill.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Please look into RKC kettlebell exercises, training and advice.

Please

Seriously
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm using a 10lbs kettlebell (I'm new and pathetically weak, haha) with Iron Core Level 1 and I like it a lot so far. It's definitely the most fun exercise I've done. I can't even get halfway through level 1 actually, but I still enjoy it.

But definitely look into proper form for things. It's so important with kettlebells because it's really easy to hurt your back if you're doing them incorrectly, especially if you're using a weight that's really challenging for you.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I just started doing kettlebells several weeks ago and LOVE it! I got the Kettlebell Bombshell DVD - not sure if it is the best, but there is a whole segment on just learning the proper form. I can now do the upper body and lower body workout on my own with no DVD, which I like, because I do it a bit slower to make sure my form is good, and I also do more reps. I use a 15 lb kettlebell, but am planning on buy a 25 lb soon, and doing fewer reps.

Before kettlebells I did 30DS and Ripped in 30, which were very effective, but I was looking for something more strength oriented, not cardio, since I am now running 3 days a week already (about to graduate C25K).

I love the idea of lifting heavy (I've always loved weight lifting), but I don't want to expend the time to go to the gym, etc, so I am hoping doing kettlebells at home and increasing the weight with that will get me great results. So far, it seems very effective.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I do kettlebells at home. I have 2 DVD's that i use. One is primarily for strength and the other Bob Harper's Cardio Sculpt is for strength and cardio. I really enjoy it and it's nice that i can do it on my own schedule. It really helps build your core and you use your own strength and resistance for a lot of it. I recommend adding it into any workout routine!

Which one do you use for strength - that is what I am after, since I get my cardio running.
  • jbosey
    jbosey Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Please look into RKC kettlebell exercises, training and advice.

Please

Seriously

I promise, but until I can squat without my knees making all kind of noises, all Im going to use the kettlebell is for upper body work...more like a barbell. Its pretty effective just sitting watching the TV and lifting it up and down.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I've been using kettlebells for almost a month now. I bought the Kettleworx system. I LOVE it!!! I could easily ignore all my other workout DVDs and do only kettlebells. But I won't. I need the variety!