Is it possible to lose 40-50 pounds in 4-5 months the way I

Options
I keep my calories at about 1200 sometimes a little less because most of my calories are fruit, vegetables, yogurt, and fish. I work about 5-6 weeks burning about 250 calories on the treadmill and then lift weights each day after. I also do zumba or kickboxing at home 3-4 days a week. I am just wondering if it is possible for me to lose 40-50 pounds in 4 months before my wedding. I know it will not just fall off without hard work but I have been making lifestyle changes and feel so much better. Any tips, advice, and how you lost your weight and how long it took you would really help me. Thanksss

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you could lose quite a bit, but that seems pretty ambitious. That's about 3 pounds a week. Plus, you can't keep losing right up to your wedding day, because you won't want to lose after your final dress fitting.
  • mommy2boyz09
    Options
    Thanks, yes I am thinking about scheduling my last fitting 3 weeks before if possible
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 40 lbs in 3 months (23lbs the first month and 10 lbs each month after that). I was morbidly obese to begin with at 333 lbs. I went on the South Beach diet for the first month and I was losing too rapidly and my doctor sent me to a nutrtionist who tweaked the diet for me and my gluten allergy. I now stay on 1200 calories and do 2 hours of exercise (1 hour on the treadmill and 1 hour in the pool) 5 days a week. I up the intensity of the exercise when I hit a plateau.I have consisitently lost 8-10 lbs a month. I eat high protein and no starches only green veggie carbs, lean meat, egg whites and reduced fat cheese in moderation. No cheating and no eating out. It is not an easy lifestyle, but do-able depending on how bad you want it. I now have lost 150 lbs in 15 months and have about 20 -30 more to go. My blood work is good and I feel great!
  • mommy2boyz09
    Options
    Congratulations, I am glad to hear it is doable and I am glad you are healthier now!!
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I would think part of that has to do with where you are starting off. You are talking about losing 10lbs a month and that's possible but pretty aggressive. I lost about 12lbs in 4 weeks, but after the first three weeks, my weight loss definitely slowed down and I have to be super diligent to keep it on track.

And, a little personal note.......I don't think weight loss really works when we view it as temporary or "I'm just doing this to look good for my wedding/reunion/vacation". I think part of what makes it work when it does work is the idea that you are completely changing you life, not just "depriving yourself for a few months".
  • mommy2boyz09
    Options
    Thanks, but I am not just doing it for the wedding but my wedding and my future gives me a lot of motivation to create a lifestyle change.
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It is possible with hard work. Don't over do it though. You will get warn out and your body might fight you on it.
  • meshelman
    Options
    I started at 198 pounds 14 weeks ago and I've lost 29 pounds at roughly the same calorie intake without exercising nearly as much as you do. And the past 2 weeks I've put my calories up to lose slower (I'm almost at my goal). Funny thing is on weeks here and there when I'd give myself a day or two of higher calories I'd lose more weigh! I heard it's a good idea to shock your system from time to time and for me it was true.
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    As a fairly newly married person (we just celebrated our 2nd year anniversary last month), I'd like to say that I think you are setting yourself up for major stress. Leaving your last fitting to 3 weeks before the wedding and focusing on such an ambitious weight goal will be added stressed to all the planning and events that go with a wedding. Weddings kinda sneak up on you... all the planning, planning, planning and then WHAM! you're getting married. It is a wonderful day, but it can become stressful. Not only that, but what if your dress fits funny or you don't reach your goal weight? You may let something like that negatively impact a very beautiful and memorable day. I would suggest a more reasonable goal (like 20-25 pounds) and focusing on your upcoming day with your sweetie.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's possible, but you'd probably lose more in terms of inches if you aim for 1.5# or even 1# a week, with adequate protein and a combination of cardio & strength training. Generally speaking, the slower the loss, the larger percentage of that loss is from fat. No one is going to know if you lost 40 or 50 or 30 or even 20 pounds... but they will see how beautiful you look in your gown.
  • tyra47
    tyra47 Posts: 97
    Options
    bump
  • MickiiMouse
    Options
    I think Nerdybookgirl has a great point... don't forget to have fun, enjoy the upcoming events but don't loose sight of one huge point... The person your marring LOVES YOU!.. You beautiful YOU!!!

I wish you luck!!!
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's possible, but you'd probably lose more in terms of inches if you aim for 1.5# or even 1# a week, with adequate protein and a combination of cardio & strength training. Generally speaking, the slower the loss, the larger percentage of that loss is from fat. No one is going to know if you lost 40 or 50 or 30 or even 20 pounds... but they will see how beautiful you look in your gown.
    I couldn't agree more. I think you should set for 1.5 pounds per week. Continue to exercise. Don't eat fast food and watch your intake of carbs, fat, protein etc. and try not to go over on fats and carbs. I recommend cutting out soda if you are a soda drinker, even diet soda bloats you. 1200 cals is really low. That would make me irritable and I think I would quit and cheat.
  • Torkelle
    Torkelle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Three years ago I lost 50 pounds in 5 months. I went from 181 down to 130. I did it by following the South Beach principals, logging Calories (1200 a day) on a different website, doing 45 minutes of Elliptical every morning, and walking my dogs for an hour every evening. I also did weights and crunches for 1/2 an hour 3-4 times a week.

Then I got lazy, and quit working out as much. I also allowed more white carbs to creep back into my diet and quit logging diligently, with the end result being that I am back up 20 pounds, and have forced myself to have a new start and commitment. :blushing:

It is doable, but not easy. Good luck, and Congratulations on your upcoming Wedding! :smile:
  • mommy2boyz09
    Options
    Wow, keep the success stories coming, I love hearing success stories especially when I feel like giving up. There is something different about me now though, I like the way I feel when I eat healthy and I get really down if I cannot make it to the gym. Does anyone have any good success stories on workout DVD's that you can do at home so I can supplement the time I spent at the gym? A lot of times I will leave the gym with so much energy that I feel like going back a hour later....
  • mommy2boyz09
    Options
    Usually if I am just eating vegetables, fruits and fish, 1200 calories is more than enough calories to keep me full. I'd love to know some different quick meals to make that will last but are low in calorie. I feel so limited sometimes on what I feel comfortable eating.