Good on the go vegan snacks?

Options
I'm sorry, I feel like I have posted this so many times. I have been a vegan for years but have gotten sick of having the same snacks. I need good ideas that are healthy and low cal, vegan snacks that I am able to take on the go with me. My usual snacks are apple and peanutbutter, banana, grapes, watermelon, mojo bars, almonds, soy yogurt (they are all high in sugar) and pita or veggies and hummus etc. But, I am tired of those. Any ideas? Any ideas for low sugar snacks would be awesome because I am trying to lower my sugar intake but at the same time I can't just eat broccoli or celery or something because it doesn't taste good like that. Please help? What do you eat? Thank you!!!

ps, I don't like oatmeal! :)

Replies

• Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Kale chips! :wink:
  • Samantha1941
    Samantha1941 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    do you buy those or bake those? I have never had kale, are they good? :o
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    GAH I KNEW someone was going to say kale chips :) hahaha! I think they have the consistency of fall leaves. I can't get down with kale chips. :flowerforyou:
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Larabars!!! I LOVE them!
  • Samantha1941
    Options
    Chelso, uh oh...I think I would probly agree with you. I'm a pretty picky eater :(
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Popcorn with Nutritional Yeast - has a salty/cheesy flavor but is vegan
    Hummus or Salsa for dips with veggies to spice them up - you can make your own varieties too like black bean and corn salsa or whatever
    Nuts
    Protein shake - you can get low carb/low sugar ones made from vegan sources of protein (I am not vegan. I am vegetarian so I can't recommend a flavor since I do mostly whey proteins)
    Fruit or Unsweetened, natural apple sauce - if you stick with berries they are lower in sugar than your tropical fruits (in general)
    almond butter
    Cream of Wheat/Grits/ or other instant cereal that's not oatmeal - I just saw a box of buckwheat cereal I was going to try out...
    Anything you would eat for a normal meal but in smaller portions
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I like trail mix style nuts with dehydrated fruits thrown in. Right now I'm eating roasted almonds with (dried) blueberries, but I like walnuts with cherries, and soy nuts with dried peaches. Use dehydrated fruit with no added sugar.

Other options: homemade granola bars - made with rolled oats, puffed rice, nut butter and honey. I also like the smart food popcorn clusters.

There's vegan jerky but I never tried it.
  • TheBauhausCure
    TheBauhausCure Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Tings from Pirates Booty! They're like fried cheese doodles, but vegan and healthy...ish!
  • Samantha1941
    Options
    I have tried doing the protein drinks/shakes but they taste so gross. I hope I can find a good one, I have tried Gensoy and Vegn which is a brand they sell at whole foods.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I make power balls that are almond butter, cacao, sunflower seeds, coconut, pureed carrots, hemp seeds and agave syrup. You can process this stuff, roll it into balls and keep it in the fridge. They make great on-the-go treats.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    veggies and cashew cheese is good too. If you soak cashews and buzz them in the food processor with nutritional yeast, garlic and a little lemon juice, it makes a great spreadable cheese/dip :)
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Well, everyone said kale chips and Larabars already...damn it.

There are these refillable tubes you can buy at outdoorsy (hiking?) stores for, well, being outdoors, and I fill them with almond butter so I can tote it along with me wherever I go. Sometimes I just eat it straight out of the tube, haha. There aren't a whole lot of options unless you pre-make something and bring it with you. How about those cups of oatmeal to which you just add hot water? Oatmeal always fils me up. Convenience vegan snacks are hard to come by...it kind of sucks. I always carry a Larabar or two with me, though (and I eat them for dessert). They are my number one suggestion, mostly because there are so many flavors, and you can actually make them yourself if you have a food processor. Fun stuff.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Oh, and someone mentioned vegan jerky. It's actually not bad, though it is expensive (what isn't expensive, though?).
  • bchmura
    Options
    Kale chips are pretty good once you get the hang of making them. But as far as a snack goes... A bushel of kale goes down in a few seconds really.

I'd recommend looking up recipes on making your own protein bars - you can easily make them vegan, customize them to your own needs and likes, and while you can't leave them out for days on end - they won't have any of the crap that makes commercial bars shelf-stable. Oh, easy to make:

This is a good place to start - gives you the ratios and suggestions so you can customize off the bat:
    http://www.nomeatathlete.com/homemade-energy-bar-recipe/
  • mugsisme
    mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I take kashi (autumn harvest) and almonds in a baggie or
    baby carrots
    dry roasted edamame
    green apples
    greenish bananas

Edited to add:
    sorry, I just realized you wrote three of things I said.

I haven't tried it yet, but you are supposed to be able to roast chick peas and they are supposed to be really good.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    One of my friends on here always used to roast garbanzo beans (chickpeas) and add a little salt + pepper.

They're a pretty easy, portable snack.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Roasted soynuts (edamame). There's a site soynuts.com that has all kinds of cool flavors.
  • helenaahh
    Options
    I am surprised no one has mentioned tofu, I guess its an aquired taste... in the UK it has definately got better in the past 5 years, and you can now buy some good marinated ones, or ones mixed with other ingredients e.g. olives, that are good to eat straight out of the packet.

The other thing I like to do is marinate it in something like soy sauce, or some spices, and then bake it in the oven. Here is a link that explains it better than me... http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/02/25/baked-tofu/

It keeps a few days in thr fridge, and is a good protein rich snack that is easy to carry around
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    There is a blog - Oh She Glows - I was looking at her recipes for steel-cut oatmeal - saw she has fabulous vegan recipes. I am not a vegan or vegetarian but like some of the recipes.

P.S. you may like her steel-cut oatmeal recipes have a look.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I needed to comment on the blog title - FAT FREE VEGAN - I mean why would you even go fat free as a vegan - you've already limited so many foods in your diet - you need the fat. I think it would be okay to use some of these recipes when your other meals for the day on the fat heavy side and a fat-free meal keeps the calories down so you come in within your calorie count.