The best exercises for your tummy?

Options
I do 15 sets of crunches 4 times a day every week days, and i don't see much of a difference in my tummy..
I want to know what other types of exercises i could do to get my tummy to tone up?

Replies

• TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Once you can do a certain number of crunches, endlessly repeating them won't do anything for you. Try planks if you want to strengthen your core, they're a *kitten** but they do the job.

But if you want an even flatter stomach, the only way to achieve it is by reducing body fat overall even further.

*Edited because apparently b*tch is too strong a language for us adults... *rolls eyes*
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Reduce overall body fat with a calorie deficit, that's the best way :)

Ab exercise and other core work just strengthen / build the muscle you have, but don't do much for the fat there.
  • abibearxo
    Options
    okay thank you! hopefully i will get the tummy i want soon :3
  • TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Is that your stomach in your pic... i'd like that please!!
  • slim422
    slim422 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Marks281172
    Marks281172 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Squats!!

...but then thats my answer for everything :)
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    cardio
  • abibearxo
    Options
    no it isn't! i wish it was very badly!
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit and planks to change things up a bit!! Good luck!
  • geventing
    Options
    Okay so honestly (and I speak from experience) the best way to cut down on belly fat is to do cardio. Crunches are great, as are planks and bicycles (I do all three as well as my cardio) but as my old trainer once said: "cardio, cardio, cardio!" You burn so many more calories doing cardio and they hit your abs because of the motion you're doing. You can run I guess, but I don't think it's good for your knees (especially if your bigger boned and tall) so what I do is walk very quickly. Either on the tredmill or outside, I walk no slower then 4.6-4.7 mph. On the tredmill I usually get up to 4.9mph and add some incline but then again, I'm in pretty good shape and are 5'11 with long legs. So up your cardio, you didn't mention if you did any but just start taking at least a 30minute walk everyday (don't give yourself any excuses!) and get a good pace going and I promise you'll start to see that belly fat disappear. Good luck!
  • bloodguilt
    Options

Ab exercise and other core work just strengthen / build the muscle you have, but don't do much for the fat there.

This.
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

^^^ How can you improve on what you've already got if that's your tummy in the pic!!!!? Be happy with what you have got. Well done!
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    add some resistance maybe that would do it. also not the best way but my wife got super sick when she was younger and threw up for several days, almost died but she's had a six-pac ever since
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    6 week 6 pack is a great workout that combines core work with cardio.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, standing shoulder press, farmer's walk
  • sarallong
    sarallong Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    it's not an exercise at all...its all about your diet!!
  • abibearxo
    Options

^^^ How can you improve on what you've already got if that's your tummy in the pic!!!!? Be happy with what you have got. Well done!

that isn't my tummy!
    i want it to be though :3
  • RooChilders
    RooChilders Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Check out Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack. Its a hard workout but it works. I also do her Yoga Meltdown which has a lot of ab exercises. Good luck I hope this helps.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options

This.

^^agree^^
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym, for sure. But if you don't have a strong core, you have all sorts of issues with regards to strength to do other activities. The exercises I listed will ensure that your core is strong. Also, planks, as someone else listed, work the transverse abdominus, which helps hold in your abdominal wall. They're a great accessory exercise.

If you are determined to do dedicated ab work, do a mixture of contraction and stabilization exercises. eg=hanging leg raises and planks, weighted sit-ups and side planks, crunches and farmer's walks.