Disbelief

Options
Hi all, so I've just joined and have entered in my food diary and exercise for the day and quite frankly I am in shock. In my mind I thought I'd consumed a lot more calories than what I have found out to be the case today! I have supposedly consumed 1300 calories but in my mind I thought it would be around 2000. I don't know whether this is because a lack of knowledge about food or whether I have been overestimating the calories in my food.
Another thing is I have roughly estimated all my foods (pushing them a little higher) as it's quite some hassle having to weigh and measure everything I eat so would I be okay to do this (as long as they are reasonable estimates) or should I really invest in time spent measuring everything? I don't wan't this to become something I have to fuss over for most of my day!
So really, I don't know whether this is too good to be true - whether I should be happy or remain in shock?!

But really, I think I want to use this site as a way of changing my emotional relationship with food and see food from a more nutritional perspective, but I just need to get to grips with all of this first really!

Replies

• becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Can you please go to settings and open your diary? We can look at what you ate and help you evaluate.

Thanks!
  • JinxRita
    JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I would suggest measuring your foods for a bit until you have a good idea of what the portions actually look like. I'm 50+ days into this and only just realized that I've probably been underestimating a few things, and have definitely been underestimating my drinks. It can't hurt to take a little time to just see how it measures up. Once you know exactly what it really looks like, then maybe you can go back to eyeballing it. :)
  • Mamba72001
    Mamba72001 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Invest the time and weigh and measure. It takes very little time to do so.
  • yojibalinese
    Options
    Measuring only takes an extra one second to get the scale or measuring cup out of the drawer. I would do this. You would not believe how many times I've been lazy, thought I was doling out the appropriate serving and then decided to check it and realize I've given myself two servings! That adds up!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Invest the time and weigh and measure. It takes very little time to do so.

this.

estimates are what brought many of us here.

you need to be as accurate as you can.

good luck.
  • cazwillis99
    cazwillis99 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I weigh & measure everything that I eat - it is the only way I can be 100% sure that my food intake is right and that I am in deficit at the end of the day (without eating too little so that my body goes into starvation mode and stops losing weight). It only takes seconds to weigh food and I always think they are well spent.
  • donjuan57
    Options
    I just recently joined as well and was also surprised that I wasn't eating nearly as much as thought but now I know what had to be the amounts before and they weren't good! I also hope this helps with my emotional? eating habits....Not sure if that is what it is but i o tend to eat alot more when I am bored! Wish you the best.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Yeah, measuring food is so time-consuming! It takes me about 7 hours to put my granola into a measuring cup, and then another 4 to pour some almond milk into the measuring cup. And then, if that wasn't enough, I have to mix it together in a bowl, so that takes another 8 hours, and then it's time for bed. This should be faster!
  • PudgyPigeon
    PudgyPigeon Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I would suggest measuring your foods for a bit until you have a good idea of what the portions actually look like. I'm 50+ days into this and only just realized that I've probably been underestimating a few things, and have definitely been underestimating my drinks. It can't hurt to take a little time to just see how it measures up. Once you know exactly what it really looks like, then maybe you can go back to eyeballing it. :)

This is what I was going to suggest. I noticed I was not only under guessing- but over guessing as well. It's important to refresh yourself every once and awhile anyways. C:
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I've been at this since September. I started measuring instead of eyeballing most things in January, and miscalculated the "cup" I was using (I was actually using a mug) by a half cup. That IS a big difference when logging in 3 glasses of milk some days. It's an underestimate of 120 calories. Plus, I used the same "cup" for my orange juice, a difference of 25 calories. I don't even want to THINK about how I underestimated rice by eyeballing it! A half cup serving is a LOT less than one might imagine!
    Measure. I doubt that underestimates would put you over 2,000 calories, but it could cost you a few hundred. At least measure for a week, and see if your estimates made sense.
    Good luck!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Measure. Biggest reason for failed diet = underestimation on intake. Watch this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I weigh or measure everything. Most things I do as soon as I bring it home. I have found if I don't clean my fruit and veggies when they come in the door they do not get used. So everything gets cleaned and measured then put into tupperware or plastic baggies before being put away. Even the goldfish that I buy for my daughter but end up snacking on occasionally get measured into baggies so I don't over portion for myself.

I was using another site and got really frusterated that nothing was happening. I decided to change sites, I did not want to look at the lack of progress over months and be discoraged. I only started this site on Feb 3rd and at that time I started measuring instead of eyeing it. What a difference, instead of gaining or maintaining my weight I have lost almost 5 lbs in such a short time.

I know that my diet still needs some work there is not nearly enough fruit being consumed but its a work in progress.

I have about 45 lbs to go and think I am getting off to the right start this time around.

Feel free to add me if you like
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    this is day 2 for me here and I found out what I already knew but didn't want to admit.
    1. I underestimated restaurant food
    2. I overestimated home cooked meals but way over estimated portion sizes.

I like this site because it tells the truth, the whole truth and nuttin but da truth so help me myfitnesspal!!!
  • sweet_lemons
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and help guys! But just another thing with the measuring, how do I get round this when I go out for a meal at a restaurant or eat round other people's houses or am buying lunch from a canteen etc? That's another issue I've been trying to think about.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and help guys! But just another thing with the measuring, how do I get round this when I go out for a meal at a restaurant or eat round other people's houses or am buying lunch from a canteen etc? That's another issue I've been trying to think about.

At that point, eyeballing it is the best you can do, BUT if you have measured at home for a while, you should be able to make pretty close estimates.
  • AngelsDream4Peace
    AngelsDream4Peace Posts: 116 Member
    Options

At that point, eyeballing it is the best you can do, BUT if you have measured at home for a while, you should be able to make pretty close estimates.

Absolutely do not eye ball if you don't have to, I am not in any way being rude, but go online find the restaurant if it is a chain it will have nutritional information, I always pre plan so I know exactly what I am consuming, and I weigh, count and measure everything! I may be ocd but I am down 65 lbs