The Weekends ?

Options
Ok, so im 15 years old and trying to lose like 40ish pounds. few years back i lost 20 now i wanna lose some more. I am a freshmen in higschool and i can go a school day and barely eat anything, which is good cause it keeps my calorie intake down. BuT the weekends are sooo dificult for me. I eat so much and barely excercise, i really need to cut down on my calories. Anyone have any tricks or tips on how to not eat anything in sight on the weekend ??, when i eat on weekends i'm not even hungry majority of the time, i just eat. Help is greatly apprciated! Thanks! -vickybf96

Replies

• kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    welcome! are you getting any help/support from your family and your doctor? It is not healthy to not eat throughout the day! make sure you are not starving yourself! food is key to success, and it is your fuel. it is a common mistake to think that low calorie intake is a good thing, but those calories keep your bodily functions active so you can digest, build muscle, etc etc
  • vicky96bf
    vicky96bf Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My parents are aware and i also have a bestie whose on the same journey, and im not starving myself its just that i dont eat nearlyy as much cause im in school and busy doing things during the week. I have passed out before from not eating enough calories though, that was no fun at all. Thanks for your response !
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    My parents are aware and i also have a bestie whose on the same journey, and im not starving myself its just that i dont eat nearlyy as much cause im in school and busy doing things during the week. I have passed out before from not eating enough calories though, that was no fun at all. Thanks for your response !

you're welcome!

i HIGHLY suggest you and your parents have your family doctor assist you in your journey and goals; the knowledge behind a healthy lifestyle is the most important thing to success. Best of luck
  • carlachristinewhite
    Options
    Being young and impulsively eating on a weekend is not really a way to go if you want to lose weight for good. I was on your shoes your age, but eventually, I gave up because I don't have the tools and knowledge and maybe due to the fact that I was still young to instill personal discipline in me. Binge eating is not the way to go if you want to lose weight. I suggest that if you are not working out, try to set your daily calorie intake to 1200 a day. Break it down into 5 small meals ( i.e. cereals and milk, protein or oatmeal bar, sandwich, another bar and for dinner, try out a salad or another sandwich) That way, you don't overeat coz you make yourself satisfied throughout the day. Try it out, I am sure your weekends will not be like that anymore. :)
  • ronde
    ronde Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weightloss so far and being committed to getting fit. Weekends can be hard no matter what our age is. You are to be commended for starting this journey at 15!! Maybe if you talked to your mom about helping you find some good healthy snacks that are designated just for you for the weekends when food is so easily accessible for you. I know at your age the weekend is for destressing from the busy week, but you may be depriving yourself during the week and your body/mind is craving more when the weekend hits.

Its not easy to find things to keep you busy and away from the kitchen. Being too tired and not drinking enough water can also make you want to eat more to keep up that energy level that you have during the school week. Good luck to you and keep posting on MFP for advice and encouragement.
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to be 18 years old to be on this site. Sparkteens is probably a better resource for losing weight at 15. You are still growing, and what works for people who are older may not be the best for you.
  • hlandry6
    hlandry6 Posts: 230
    Options
    Just my opinion but I think 1200 cals is too low for a 15 year old girl.. (She is still growing)
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    You are really young, but I reccomend taking fresh veggies or nuts/ seeds to munch on throughout the day if you aren't feeling so hungry, or maybe some nutrigrain bars... then once that is established then start having better meals thru the day..
  • shelbysmom08
    Options
    I am glas you are motivated to loose weight because in High school it can be so hard. I also agree that making sure you eat is important and under a drs. care is very important at your age.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    young or old, people eat because they are bored quite frequently. The solution is pretty simple. If you find yourself reaching for that snack try picking up a book, painting a picture, going outside for a walk .. anything but eating. Hell you may find out that you really enjoy something you never knew you would. If you're hungry then eat, just make it healthy (fruits and veggies or something like that), but when you reach for that snack ask yourself if you are truly hungry ... if not, go do something else.
  • abibearxo
    Options
    you shouldn't skip meals, ever!
    But what i was told to do by my old gym instructor is get an apple, cut it into about 6 pieces and eat it slowly that made me feel a lot less hungrier
    Also about 5 minutes before your meal drink a glass of water, that's also suppose to make you eat less because it fills you up!
    On weekends all you have to do is keep yourself busy, such as going outside on walks and if it's raining, do some yoga or draw, something that keeps your mind off food :-)
  • Missashley9
    Options
    I wish I had started watching what I ate & getting exercise when I was 15. If I had, I may not be as big as I am today. First off, everyone is right. You MUST eat during the day. Get up 15 or 20 mins earlier in the morning and have a filling cereal-- like shredded wheat-- or some oatmeal. Take time to eat during your lunch break at school. Take an apple & single-serving Jif peanut butter cup, to school. Maybe pair that with a low-fat mozarella cheese stick. Drink water as often as you can during the day, and eat a light dinner. Start eating vegetables. I know it's hard when you're young to get into vegetables, but try.
    When I was in high school, my lunches consisted of a bag of Doritos, a 20 oz Mt Dew and a candy bar from our "snack shack." After school, my friend and I would stop at Burger King, or we'd each get our own bag of Fritos and jar of cheese dip. It was pretty bad. I really started packing on the lbs. By the time I graduated, I was around 190 lbs. Today I'm at 304. If I had gotten it together then & lost 30 or 40 lbs, it wouldn't be so bad today. I commend you for wanting to do something now, but you definitely have to eat every day so you aren't bingeing & sabbotaging yourself on the weekends. Good luck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You need to eat consistently throughout the week. Not eating causes your body stress, which produces cortisol, which ends up making you store more fat. You also need to make sure you're eating enough. My toddlers need approximately 1000 calories a day. A 10 year old needs 1600-2000 calories a day. You're still growing so you need at least as much as a 10 year old. It would be better to increase your physical activity than to decrease your calories.
  • vicky96bf
    vicky96bf Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the adivce. im also a vegitarian fyi
  • 9kilos2loose
    Options
    I always find that when I'm busy I don't focus so much on food. I'm not sure what you do on your weekend's but maybe plan to do a couple of things so that will take your mind off eating.

Good luck!
  • thohan99
    thohan99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd highly recommend Gary Taubes' "Why we get fat", superb book.