Why do I keep gaining weight??

Options
I'm 5'3" 1/2 (yes I count the 1/2) and about 3 years ago I dropped 20lbs and got my weight down to about 140lbs which was really great!! I'm on the curvy side so that's a good weight for me. I maintained that weight until the summer and gained 10lbs! Now my weight goes up and down between 146 and 149lbs and it's driving me crazy. :explode:

I work out 5-6 days a week (2 days of strength training and 3-4 days of cardio) I eat pretty clean (check my diary) I turned vegetarian over a year ago and I drink a good amount of water. I have the occasional glass of wine and "bad" carb but not enough to reverse all my hard work throughout the week.

I've tried everything to get back down to 140lbs but nothing seems to work. Each time I step on the scale, despite my efforts, I seem to be gaining weight and I can't figure out why. It's the worse feeling to have a great week of eating and exercising then discover I'm up 2 lbs. I guess what they say is true. Losing the last 5 lbs is the HARDEST.

Trying my best to stay motivated but it's very frustrating and I'm a comfort food girl so feeling frustrated makes me wanna eat!

Is this happening to anyone else?

Replies

• graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Yes. Girl, I feel your pain. I go in tomorrow actually for the results of some metabolic testing I just got done. I just gained around the same as you. Are you strength training? Could you have gained muscle? I did this when I started teaching Bodypump. How do your clothes fit and have you been doing measurements? Do you switch up your routines regularly? Sometimes the body needs something new to help break through. I know how frustrating it is!!!
  • greeneyedaries
    greeneyedaries Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    open your food diary and let us help you. thanks
  • VinaAnderson
    Options
    Diary is now visible. Thanks!
  • greeneyedaries
    greeneyedaries Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It isn't open when I just checked it. Go back and look again. Thanks
  • VinaAnderson
    Options
    It isn't open when I just checked it. Go back and look again. Thanks

I think I did it correctly this time. :smile:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations of 3 lbs are nothing. Get off the scale. Set some non-scale goals (fitness related preferred) and hit it. The weight will come off as long as you stick to your calorie goals (eating enough and not too much) and exercise plan.

My weight fluctuates between 7-10 lbs per week. This is totally normal for women. Water retention after a hard workout is normal so that's likely where the 2lb gain comes from for that. 5 lbs is not that much to worry about, so just try to focus your energy somewhere other than that number. You will drive yourself insane otherwise.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Vina, I just had a quick gander at your diary, and it looks to me as though you're not eating enough. You're staying close to around 1200 kcal total, which isn't enough given the amount of exercise you're putting in. Try upping your calorie intake to 1400-1600 kcal and see what happens.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I love your diet! <3

My suggestion for those last stubborn lbs would be to drop your carbs and raise your protein, and maybe drop your sodium as well. The only thing I can see from your diary is that maybe you aren't getting enough protein. Or, if anything, maybe a radical change in diet could kick start the drop in those last few lbs.
    :)
  • appleiam1994
    appleiam1994 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i dun think ur eating enough :/ should eat at least 1200cals a day to keep ur metabolism up!!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the posts. You protein is way too low, especially if you are working out with weights, and in comparison your carbs are high, and so is your sugar.

Try to increase your protein intake to close to 100 grams or more, if possible. And since you don't eat meat, so may need to incorporate protein drinks and protein bars with low carbs into your diet.

.If you eat eggs (whites only or whole eggs), make yourself an omelet or hard boiled eggs in a salad. Beans, peanut and almond butter, yogurt, almonds, lentils, cottage cheese and low sodium cheeses are also a good source of protein; however, if your vegetarian diet does not allow you to eat some of these foods, then ask a dietitian for information.

Good luck and keep on going.
  • VinaAnderson
    Options
    Thanks for guidance MFP peeps. I really needed the suggestions. I appreciate you all taking the time to help. :happy:
  • ladywolfkahn
    Options
    It also seems your sugar intake is always over, sometimes way over. Along with not enough protien each day. I am in no way an expert on this. Just my observation.\
    Tina :smile:
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Yay your intake is mad low - should think any time your poor bod gets a glimpse of a calorie it wants to grab it like a lifeline and hold on tight!
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Weight fluctuations of 3 lbs are nothing. Get off the scale. Set some non-scale goals (fitness related preferred) and hit it. The weight will come off as long as you stick to your calorie goals (eating enough and not too much) and exercise plan.

My weight fluctuates between 7-10 lbs per week. This is totally normal for women. Water retention after a hard workout is normal so that's likely where the 2lb gain comes from for that. 5 lbs is not that much to worry about, so just try to focus your energy somewhere other than that number. You will drive yourself insane otherwise.

^ So much truth here. From last Friday to Monday I went up 6 lbs and by Wednesday I was down 6.5 lbs. If you can't handle the normal scale fluctuations, stop weighing yourself and concentrate on your measurements. As long as you know you're accurately counting your calories and you're in a deficit, you will use weight.