Water <sigh> Water

Options
I am having trouble with kicking the soda habit!!! I discovered this week that if I used the crystal light drink flavorings I drink three times as much and cut my soda to one a day! Am I still getting the water benefit? Water tends to give me a stomachache when I chug it.

Cristy

Replies

• 103annie
    103annie Posts: 17
    Options
    I am having trouble with kicking the soda habit!!! I discovered this week that if I used the crystal light drink flavorings I drink three times as much and cut my soda to one a day! Am I still getting the water benefit? Water tends to give me a stomachache when I chug it.

Cristy
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    regular or diet soda. If it's diet, not horrible, if it's regular, woof, that's a pretty big waste of caloires that you could be spending on something good like a nice hunk of cheese, or a tasty yogurt, or an extra 1/2 serving of chicken with dinner, or probably 2 apples, or a banana...etc. Plus that nasty refined sugar will do nothing for you.

I know not everyone likes to drink straight water all day, but it is possible to train yourself right out of other stuff. I used to be a 3 to 4 can a day soda drinker, now I have a poland springs squeze bottle with me at all times. I haven't had a soda (besides the occasional diet ginger ale or cafine free diet coke) in maybe 6 months or so, and you know what? I don't miss it one bit.

look at it this way:
    1 12 oz. can of coke = 143 calories = 1, 3 oz. serving of chicken breast

BTW if water gives you a stomach ache but coke doesn't, you may have a problem with acid in your stomach (or your eating a very acidic diet) because coke is a base, and bases nutralize acids. Water will dilute acid a little but it will also fill your stomach, making that acid reach places it usually doesn't hence possible causing the stomach ache. Might want to see a doc. about that. Test your theory by taking a tums before you drink water (give it a minute or so to work), if the stomach ache doesn't happen, then that's what it is.
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Using Crystal Light still gives you the water benefit.
    Try sipping plain water throughout the day. I llove water, so I can't compare.
    I do have a friend with the same situation. Between the Crystal light and sipping plain water she has not had soda for more than two weeks and is used to water now. We went out to lunch last week and for the first time EVER she ordered water with her meal, and drank it all with out complaining. She jokes that it must be an aquired taste, lol.
  • mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Options
    HERE'S A TIP. I KEEP A BOTTLE OF WATER WITH ME WHEREVER I GO. WHEN I LEAVE THE HOUSE I ALWAYS GRAB A BOTTLE OF WATER ( I BUY THE SPRING WATER IN BOTTLES FROM THE STORE). IT STAYS IN MY VEHICLE UNTIL IT'S GONE. THEN I GRAB ANOTHER ONE. WHEN I GET INTO MY CAR, THAT IS THE FIRST THING I THING OF..."DO I HAVE A BOTTLE OF WATER"... AT THE GYM I REFILL MY WATER BOTTLE WITH TAP. TWO BOTTLES IS 32 OZ. HALF WAY THERE ALREADY. AFTER A WHILE IT WILL BECOME HABIT TO GRAB A BOTTLE OF WATER WHEREVER YOU GO!!!:drinker:
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I say forget the Crystal light... buy a bottle of low calorie juice and fill a bottle 1/4 way and then add water to the rest.

I do that when I crave juice...I usually only drink water anyways. I stopped drinking pop like 8 years ago.
  • nickipickle
    Options
    I add a little bit of lemon juice to my water and I can drink much more than I can plain... plus no added calories!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I find that when I'm active I crave water. Esecially during workouts- Anything other than water makes me feel sick :sick:
    Maybe you just need to get used to it. I wouldn't get into the crystal lite habit (a little is fine but don't use it as a replacement for pop). Banks is right, you can train your body to like water. A little lemon juice will add a bit of flavour while you're starting out. Good luck! :drinker:

ps- you won't believe how beautiful your skin will look once you've made the transition! My skin has never been so soft and smooth :wink:
  • Deeterz
    Deeterz Posts: 17
    Options
    I am with you on the stomachache thing! I HATE water. Being a Mt Dew drinker it is a very hard transition! But, I dont like flavored water so I just deal with straight water :sick:
  • bjigglepants
    Options
    I say forget the Crystal light... buy a bottle of low calorie juice and fill a bottle 1/4 way and then add water to the rest.

I do that when I crave juice...I usually only drink water anyways. I stopped drinking pop like 8 years ago.

i totally agree. the juice has more benefits watered down than crystal light ever will. i'm not a plain water drinker. just can't do it. so i reuse a juice bottle, fill it with water and add a little bit of tea to it. i'm getting a scant bit of caffeine, some antioxidants and a oodles of water. if you don't like plain tea, you can always add a bit of honey to it to sweeten it. honey is filled with vitamins and is much better for you than sugar and artificial sweetners. i love me some "bee barf" :bigsmile:
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    Like anything else, it's something that you have to adjust to. It's not going to happen in one day. I stopped drinking pop years ago and now I don't even crave or want it. I keep a bottle at my desk all day and I make sure I refill it at least once. (it's a pretty big plastic container) Just keep at it!!!
    *I've noticed lately that the more I drink, the less I eat at lunch and dinner...just a side note!
  • 103annie
    Options
    DIET, DIET, DIET I love doet soda!!! :love: I do reward myself with this occasionally. It makes me happy :flowerforyou:

I will try the juice thing. That does sound like a good idea.

Thanks for all of the tips!
  • kilbou23
    kilbou23 Posts: 7
    Options
    being a recovering pop drinker myself... the easiest way for me to stop drinking pop was to just stop drinking it. completely. i know cold turkey doesn't work for everyone/thing, but for me personally every time i had a little bit of pop i just wanted more. so instead, every time i had a craving i would drink a glass of water. if i really wanted something sweet, i would have lemonade. now i don't even crave it, and when i do drink pop it is way less tasty than i remember! mostly it just tastes like salt now. eww.
    also, although diet soda will help with weight loss, aspartame isn't necessarily good for you. i'm all about avoiding man made ingredients. if water isn't your fancy, i really think juice is the way to go.
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I love water but 8 glass is alot of plain water. I bought wylers light togo. only 5 calories. I get a big 32 oz bottle of water and add one pack (10 for a full packet) and that is 4 glasses of flavored water. It helps me drink my 8 glasses. :wink:
  • Pom_love_2
    Options
    :ohwell: Here goes... This may sound really strange, but I've found I drink a lot more water if I use a straw in my water bottle.

(plus I don't spill it on myself anymore....giggle....I have the 'hole in my chin syndrome' :laugh: )
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: Here goes... This may sound really strange, but I've found I drink a lot more water if I use a straw in my water bottle.

(plus I don't spill it on myself anymore....giggle....I have the 'hole in my chin syndrome' :laugh: )

I suffer from that syndrome too.
  • 103annie
    Options
    For whats its worth...I think I kicked the habit. I still use Crystal lite but it isn't soda.

Cristy:drinker:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    great idea guys...I am one of those strange birds that only drinks water....because I love it and hate soda, juice, etc..oh not my morning coffee...right now I'm LOOOOOOVIN this bad boy! but to me its so easy since its all I like...still I have trouble sometimes drinking enough....I love the calculator here it motivates me to fill up the glass lol....

I like the idea of a dash of juice in your water though...when I'm sick I will add 1/2 cup of oj because I can't drink it straight...ick...and its refreshing, love lemon and lime in it and when I was prego to "pretend" drink if I was at weddings and parties I'd add a splash of cranberry and a lime to my water....like a big girl drink LOL....

anyway however you get it...great job and ideas!:drinker:
    hugs!
    Ali