Zumba-

Options
Anybody use Zumba for a workout? If so, do you like the results? any dislikes? etc

Replies

• greeneyedaries
    greeneyedaries Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I use the Zumba Flat abs. I LOVE IT. It is the first program that is smoothing out the fat on my back, my legs are really nice, my calves are so cut. Over all it is slimming my diabetic stomach down, it really is slimming my entire body. It is even lifting my butt. There a few moves that I modify because I have lower lumbar issues, other than that it is great...I am truly grateful I found this DVD...LOVE THE RESULTS.
  • skichick1968
    Options
    Zumba is an excellent alternative to traditional cardio classes. You can easily burn 300-600 calories per class and have fun at the same time!
  • fitobsessed
    Options
    I do Zumba all the time - fantastic cardio exercise! On average, I burn about 550 calories in a 50 minute class (I have a HRM).
  • NancyMarie13
    NancyMarie13 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I do zumba once a week.I burn about 800-950 calories in one hour. I love it. I feel my stamina increasing and I feel the burn so I know its working. Also I do it with my girlfriends so its fun and exciting and doesn't even seem like work. I also do weights after to kick that calorie up a notch. Lovesss it.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I would love to do this, have heard so many great things about it. Only issue I have is my broken ankle. Lol.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Zumba is a great workout.. Teachers differ, and even with a not so great teacher its still fun, but when you get a really good one its the most fun you can have working out!
  • ljdanny
    ljdanny Posts: 2,085 Member
    Options
    I LOVE zumba, I do it 3 times a week and burn close to 700 calories a week. I highly recommend it.
  • angebrun
    angebrun Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes- good burn, lots of fun! I will say to be prepared to not know what you're doing the first (okay, first few) times, just keep moving, even if you're not doing exactly what the instructor is! It's tricky because most zumba instructors only use nonverbal cues, and they don't teach the moves first, so you basically have to pick it up as you go along.
  • lisitabonita
    lisitabonita Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    They have a new Zumba coming out called Sentao. I think it would for you because it is done in a chair, from what I understand. @ PrincessLou
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba! It is my favorite exercise. I dance so poorly but I have a lot of fun doing it. Also, even though it's cardio, it makes me do lunges and high knee lifts and other things that wittle my waist line :)

Honestly, for the inner "sexy" person in me - loads of fun. Highly recommended.
  • manasunshine
    Options
    zumba is a great cardio workout. i love itt. and yes its very effective. its been only 2 weeks and i can tell theres been some change.
    u'll love zumba!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    It is great workout. My gym offers Zumba toning. Each Instructor is different so it may take a few before you find the one for you! Have fun!
  • JennyJacobsen
    JennyJacobsen Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I did Zumba once a week for a few months, I will be going back next Saturday. I tore a muscle in my calf and couldn't walk. I am excited to be going back. I miss the gym it sure helped me stay on my weight loss plan. It is a lot of fun even if U don't know the moves I make things up as I go along. The goal is to keep moving and have FUN!!!
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have just started doing it myself. I get a different Zumba DVD from the library every few days to keep my attention and I smile while I work out but also sweat more than any the other DVDs I do......
  • annieheavrin
    Options
    Zumba is great! Zumba helped me lose 70 lbs & I've been an Instructor now for almost 2 years. It's so much fun & doesn't feel like you're really working out! :)
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I've been to some AWESOME zumba classes...where they play mostly newer, popular hip-hop with fun moves that are easy to follow. Those are the classes that make me want to keep dancing when they are over, where I burn 700 calories in an hour. So much fun.

On the flip side, I've been to some horrible Zumba classes. Slow music, very Latin-heavy (not for me), extrememly complex moves that make me just want to give up. I feel my motivation draining away and I just want to leave. 350 calories in an hour.

So, that being said, don't assume you don't like Zumba if you're not crazy about it at first. Try different instructors and locations to see if you really don't like it or just don't like that particular class. The music choices are the most important aspect, I've found.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    They have a new Zumba coming out called Sentao. I think it would for you because it is done in a chair, from what I understand. @ PrincessLou

Thank you.
  • kallibrae
    kallibrae Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am a self-proclaimed Zumba addict! I take classes twice a week and drive over half an hour both nights because my teacher is AMAZING. The teacher you have can make or break a class.
  • leighllf
    Options
    I have been taking Zumba for over a year now, and have to say it is GREAT! I use my HRM and can burn 800 calories in 50 mins in the Monday class, It is a wonderful way to begin the week and helps to keep me on task! AND they say to try the class at least 3 times before you decide if it is for you!

Go For It! I do agree that the instructor makes all the difference! Find on you love and go with it!
  • abcmiah
    abcmiah Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great and so much fun. I do it at the gym, the community center and in my living room (Zumba for xbox kinect). I am always sweaty and tired at the end but during it I barely notice how much I am working. :)