OK to strength train 3 days in a row?

Options
I am setting up some workouts and I really want to add in some weights but the only days I can get to the gym to lift is 3 consecutive days. I know this isn't ideal, but is it ok?

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    its ok if youre working different muscle groups... i dont lift 3 days in a row, but i do 3x a week, upper body, lower body and full body.
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Well this will be all abs and core. I am training for a 1/2 marathon and don't plan on lifting lower body. Between running, elliptical, and the arc trainer I don't want to add anymore bulk to my lower body.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    No, you shouldn't work the same muscle groups even 2 days in a row.

Also, lifting weights will not add bulk to your lower body unless you are eating at a calorie surplus. I could be wrong but strengthening your leg muscles might actually improve your running. I know my cross country couch in high school had us lift.

Lastly, if you do the big lifts, squats and deadlifts, they really work your abs and core. You won't need specific core moves. I haven't done them in months.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    you SHOULD be doing some leg training for running. You aren't going to magically gain tons of leg muscle becuase you do some squats and lunges, and both of those are fantastic core exercises as well. Especially not if you aren't eating a surplus and I'm guessing since you want to lose 12 lbs you're eating a deficit?

Running is a full body sport, some light strength training will be good for it and some basic full body movements should help, not hurt.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Adding leg training, I went from running 9 minute miles during a 5k to 8 minute miles during a 5k.

Plus, my butt got cuter. :blushing:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    No, you shouldn't work the same muscle groups even 2 days in a row.

Also, lifting weights will not add bulk to your lower body unless you are eating at a calorie surplus. I could be wrong but strengthening your leg muscles might actually improve your running. I know my cross country couch in high school had us lift.

Lastly, if you do the big lifts, squats and deadlifts, they really work your abs and core. You won't need specific core moves. I haven't done them in months.

This! You wouldn't believe how much core work is involved in squats and deadlifts. A couple of weeks ago I started doing these on the same day as each other, and the next morning my abs were so sore! (I haven't isolated abs in over a month)

Training the same muscle group 2 days in a row is not good. The time when your muscles repair and grow is during rest :)
  • freedomlady
    freedomlady Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Abs and calves are the two muscle groups that can be worked almost every day so don't worry about it if its all core stuff. I used to body build and power lift when i was young and I worked abs every day of the week except sunday.
  • duharvalgt
    Options
    I think so as long as the same type of muscles are not trained.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posts that say you should lift with your lower body! You will not get bigger! It'll make you leaner! That said, it is ok to strength train 3 days in a row if you do different muscle groups. The program I am doing has you lifting up to 6 days in a row. Mine is usually broken up with Arms/Abs, Shoulders, Back, Chest and 2 leg days.
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    So let's say I break it up and do arms 1 day, 1 day core, and 1 day legs. Is that enough, just once a week for each muscle group? I thought you needed to work a muscle 2-3 times a week to really do some good.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You could probably just rotate between upper and lower, that way you do each twice every other week. Maybe throw in a core move on leg day. Core doesn't need an entire day.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    Well this will be all abs and core. I am training for a 1/2 marathon and don't plan on lifting lower body. Between running, elliptical, and the arc trainer I don't want to add anymore bulk to my lower body.

you wont add any bulk..trust me..i've been lifting a while and know how hard it is to add bulk. just casual lifting wont do it.

and you can lift on consecutive days..it takes about 24 hrs for muscles to fully recover..so they say.
    i do a split routine...i do my differently than most..

i do biceps and chest one day, the next legs, the next triceps and back, the next legs and shoulders..i work the same muscles pretty much every 24 hrs..and i see growth..more so than when i didnt. but everyones body is different.

and there really is no sense in doing just abs..doing endless sit ups does nothing for you ab muscles except allow you to do more sit ups