Heavy lifting - when do I start to see results?

Options
This is a really basic question, but how long should it take for me to see/feel a difference from heavy lifting? I'm a lady, and I've been lifting heavy regularly (3x/week) for about a month. I've been doing mostly compound moves, starting with NROL4W and now mostly doing Strong Lifts. I'm definitely getting stronger, but nothing else has really changed that I can see or feel. My measurements have been completely stable for a month, and I feel squishier, not tighter. Am I doing something wrong? Or am I being impatient?

More random facts, in case they're relevant: I'm definitely getting enough calories (I'm averaging at least 100 cals over maintenance daily) and protein (I aim for 1g/lb body weight, I usually get at least 1g/lb of lean mass). I'm not doing any endurance cardio, but I do a lot of daily commute walking. I'm in the "healthy" weight range, with around 22ish% body fat, and my weight has increased maybe 1.5 lbs over the last couple weeks - but I'm worried that exactly 0% of it is muscle.

Help a girl out?

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I can't remember exactly how long it took me to start seeing results, so I'm mainly just bumping up the thread so that you can get some more responses :) I'd say to give it a little longer than a month though.

Also, as you've gained a little like you say, but your measurements are stable then you must be doing something right. Muscle does take a while to build so don't expect much straight away. I finished bulking in the new year, where I spent 6 months trying to gain muscle, built approx 5-6lbs lean mass (according to bf%) and the rest (around 10lbs) fat, but then I was eating higher above maintenance than you are.

Well done on getting stronger too! That's always a good sign :D

Heidi
  • sarallong
    sarallong Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Keep at it!! You may want to start doing cardio the days you are not lifting and how are you eating? Diet is 80% of results. How long each session of weight lifting? Give it more than a month. :)
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know too. I'm much in the same boat as you and getting ready to start NROF4W. I hope I can see some results beofer pool season :)
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice so far! I'd be happy to add cardio back in (I actually love running), but I've heard that limits muscle growth, and I hate intervals, so I've been avoiding cardio in general until I'm ready to concentrate on losing fat.

Regarding food, I'm eating decently overall - mostly whole grains and lean proteins, and I always have a post-workout shake. Since I started "maintenance" calories I've been indulging in more sugary/fatty foods than would be ideal, though, but from what I read that shouldn't really be hindering me. (Apologies for the non-public diary, I need to have my profile private for professional reaosns.)

More advice? C'mon trainers, gimme what you got! :flowerforyou:
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    is this your first time around with weight lifting?? if so, I remember it took me about 3 months to really notice the muscle gains and fat losses strictly from the lifting element in my routine. Granted, you can FEEL a difference IE: ability to do more reps, lift heavier weights, soreness, etc

I also like the advice about throwing in cardio, and would suggest feeling out some HIIT exercises. I found my biggest success came after I included cardio and HIIT AFTER my lifts, the fat burns a bit quicker as the muscles are trying to repair themselves (I think)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice so far! I'd be happy to add cardio back in (I actually love running), but I've heard that limits muscle growth, and I hate intervals, so I've been avoiding cardio in general until I'm ready to concentrate on losing fat.

Regarding food, I'm eating decently overall - mostly whole grains and lean proteins, and I always have a post-workout shake. Since I started "maintenance" calories I've been indulging in more sugary/fatty foods than would be ideal, though, but from what I read that shouldn't really be hindering me. (Apologies for the non-public diary, I need to have my profile private for professional reaosns.)

More advice? C'mon trainers, gimme what you got! :flowerforyou:

Cardio shouldn't limit muscle grown as long as you eat back your burned calories, and you haven't trained yourself so hard you don't have enough time to lift or rest (bearing in mind muscle growth usually happens at rest, rather than in the gym)

The food you eat also shouldn't really hinder as long as you hit your macros. Aiming for around 1g per lb of body weight (or lean body mass) of protein is seen as ideal. 0.35g per lb of fat, and the rest as you please. Vitamins and minerals that you get from healthier foods are mainly for overall health rather than weight loss or muscle gain.
  • FatgutBgone
    FatgutBgone Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I do cardio after I workout or on the non lifting days. I can't do much anyway because of arthritis and asthma. I lift as heavy as I can with good form. You will feel the results before seeing them sometimes. I found after a month or so I would notice a difference. I drink a protein shake before and a creatine drink after working out.
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Good topic! I'm just adding cardio back in (in the form of a C25K). My understanding is that as long as I'm resting enough, eating well and feeling "recovered" before my lifting, I'm good. I am also concerned that perhaps I'm putting a little fat back on around the middle with my new higher calorie eating...I know I can't only gain muscle and no fat, but I want to keep the fat minimal! This leads me to wonder what my true "maintenance" is. Argh.
  • Luthorcrow
    Options
    First off, 4 weeks is way too short of a period to expect to see much of a difference. Keep in mind that the first two weeks of lifting, the only thing that really changes your is your brain adapting to the new muscle movements. You should definitely expect to start noticing changes after 2 months or so.

But given that you are dong the Stronglifts 5x5 program, you only measure right now should be are you consistently adding 5lbs and keeping good form. If yes, to that don't worry about how you look because it will come. Focusing on making progress and getting stronger should be your motivation right now. Focus on performance and worry about the mirror later.

As for cardio, according Lou Schuler in NROL, your body normally only adapts for one (endurance) or the other (strength). So if you run two days a week and lift three days a week your body is going to pick one or the other. The exception is that if you do both in the same workout (1 hour of strength training and 1 hour of cardo) with equal effort then the body will adapt both traits in equal measure. But most of us don't have two hours to devote at the gym, so in generally it is better to pick one and stick with it.

The reality is unless you need to run a marathon you will get all the heart health you need from strength training alone.