Think my body doesn't want to lose weight

Options
I am not saying that as a cop out.been here for about 6 weeks and while yes I have lost a little bit of weight I have random days where I weigh myself and have gained 3kg even though I haven't eaten that weight in food! and then it takes me almost a full week to get it back down. I am an active person I smash out at the gym I eat under my calories. However I do think my body conditions are what is hindering me. I have a hypo thyroid, high blood pressure and type 1 diabetes. I am on meds for all of these but they all work against losing weight so I feel like no matter how hard I am working it's an uphill battle over my body. Just wondering if there is anyone in this position or anyone got any advice for me? I was thinking about going to the dr and having a chat with them but last time they said all my levels were fine so not sure if they can help me. Thanks

Replies

• trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am not saying that as a cop out.been here for about 6 weeks and while yes I have lost a little bit of weight I have random days where I weigh myself and have gained 3kg even though I haven't eaten that weight in food! and then it takes me almost a full week to get it back down. I am an active person I smash out at the gym I eat under my calories. However I do think my body conditions are what is hindering me. I have a hypo thyroid, high blood pressure and type 1 diabetes. I am on meds for all of these but they all work against losing weight so I feel like no matter how hard I am working it's an uphill battle over my body. Just wondering if there is anyone in this position or anyone got any advice for me? I was thinking about going to the dr and having a chat with them but last time they said all my levels were fine so not sure if they can help me. Thanks
    That hypothyroid is definitely working against you. Maybe you aren't eating enough calories?
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Your body DOESN'T want to lose weight. And with everything you've mentioned, it's still going to be hard to lose.

I have hypothyroid. It's doesn't make it impossible to lose, only harder. My boyfriend has type 1 diabetes, and he's struggling, but he's also having trouble controlling his blood sugar because he's hypothyroid too. It's not impossible, you have to be meticulous about it.

You MUST exercise. There is no way around it. You can do all the clean eating you want, and drink all the water you could ever want, but you truly won't lose until you start working out. You need to build muscle, and do cardio. It will be difficult at first, but you can do it.

You MUST log every single calorie lading morsel that you eat or drink.

I advise you to get a heart rate monitor, so that you can get an accurate read on the calories you burn.

With all this, the recipe with weight loss (more calories out than in) will work. And don't push yourself. Only expect 0.5 to 1 pound a week at most. Less when you start exercising more than before, but that weight will come off later.

I am on a plan to lose 2 pound a week, I'm lucky to lose 1. My BF is on a plan to lose 2 pounds a week, he's not managed to lose much at all so far. He's focusing on building muscle to help him burn more in the future. We both know your struggle. I'm here if you need me!
  • Irius101
    Options
    Thanks for the responses :) I do just feel like I am going round in circles. But just going to keep at it I have lost about 2.0 over all so far and just gaining and losing around that point. Going to try to get myself to the gym more often this week and see how I go just got to deal with how hungry I am after my work out. I am eating enough calories never saying I am eating too few and try to space everything out and forcing myself to eat some form of breakfast every day as I am just not a breakfast person but trying to kick off the metabolism first thing in the morning. Also the circle with the diabetes and using insulin. The more insulin you have the more fat you will gain and store to lower the amount of insulin you need, you need to lose weight but to lose the weight you need to lower the insulin. It hurts my head lol but thank you once again to all of your for your replies going to give everything I can a go and see if it helps slowly get on top of this excess weight though on the plus side to all of this I have lost enough weight to now be classed as overweight instead of obese :D
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    how tall are you and what is your goal weight? I also have been struggling to loose weight it seems when i do loose anything it's .5 lb at a time. I gave myself 5 months to loose 15 lbs and i have 3 weeks left till that goal and i have only lost 8-9lbs... i am almost ready to throw in the towel... I also have thyroid issues and i got my meds put up a few months ago and i did notice a difference with my symptoms but it hasn't seemed to help me in the weight loss department. i had a 1 month plateau until i upped my calories, i was on the 1 lbs a week loss to begin with and that was set to 1200 calories ( i always ate back my exercise calories) and then when i hot plateau, i changed it to .5 a week loss. since i was only loosing .5 max at a time i figured why not be able to eat more then.... so it upped my calories to 1310. i find it so much easier to maintain that now then 1200.. I still have only seen 1 lbs loss since then. I have 3 weeks to loose 7 lbs... not going to happen!!!! sad but i am going to have to move up my goal date :(
  • Irius101
    Options
    I am 177cm tall and looking at the last few days all I have done is gone to the gym eaten my intake of cal and gained about 200-300g a day :s going to the gym again today and once again going to keep an eye on my food. My goal weight is 80kg I am 93kg now before having kids I was always on around 85kg but I have never been a skinny person and I am thinking I should start to do the measuring side of things as I know muscle weighs more then fat so just coz I am gaining it might be muscle mass so need to go buy myself a tape measure lol But it does sound like people with a thyroid issue are working twice as hard with very minimal results. It has been recommended to me to spike the calorie intake with a meal once a week to help not to plateau but even if I go 100cal over the intake I will put on a lot more weight then what I have consumed. Last time I saw my dr he said my thyroid test from 3 months ago was fine and it's a slow change if your not having enough meds. Though the whole reason why I started this was because suddenly I gained 5kg in a week went to see the dr thought my thyroid was going crazy I just don't know but it's hard to keep finding that motivation if your not losing the weight. But for you, you've done a fantastic job yes it wasn't in the time frame you wanted and every step closer to your ideal weight is harder to lose and then there are people with thyroid issues that makes it all harder lol so yes I can see why you want to throw in the towel but look at what you have achieved so far if nothing else keep the weight you have for now (by adding the 500 extra cal I think it is) and then in a month go back to the losing weight stage again all refreshed you don;t want to have come so far to get back to the place where you weren't happy and then having a battle on your hands to lose the weight all over again :) Keep me posted on how your going
  • Irius101
    Irius101 Posts: 4
    Options
    Just to keep those of you updated. I tested out quite a few things that were suggested. I have found if I eat 1000calories a day I lose weight if I eat 1200calories a day I stay the same weight which seems really silly that 200 calories makes all the difference in me losing weight but going to keep at it got a lot more motivation to do it now that the weight is actually going :D
  • hesse_v
    hesse_v Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My mother, a women of 53, has hypothyroid as well. She is currently at 5'5 145 pounds. She was able to lose her weight after having two children, so can you!! :) It is super hard for her. She will workout for an hour or more every night. But she has accomplished her goals so far! And so can you! Best of luck!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    12 lbs in 6 weeks is excellent progress.
    You're right, our bodies DON'T like to lose weight. Our bodies don't know it's 2012. We are designed for survival- your body is designed to keep your organs functioning at max capacity and it can't do that if you're starving so it will do everything possible to prevent that.
    Just keep doing what you're doing. Eat several small, healthy meals each day- DON'T skip meals and DON'T eat below 1200/1300 calories. Get plenty of exercise AND rest. Drink LOTS of water. Your body will find it's healthy weight ... but NOT overnight.
    Patience is it's own reward.

cheers