Chug or sip??

Options
If I really need to drink a lot more water for the day, should I just chug it and get it over with or is that bad? I just don't want to sit around sipping for the next 2 hours..but is it bad if I just chug 16 or 20 oz in the next 10-15 minutes?

Replies

• jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If you're not thirsty, don't drink it. You're body knows when you need water.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    i routinely chug 32oz in a shot a few times a day.........
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    No, it's definitely not safe for your body to just chug water. Try sipping it. And if you're not thirsty, then don't force yourself to drink.
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I will chug about 4 oz at a time, just to get it in. I also find it quenches my thirst better this way. As long as you aren't chugging a gallon at a time I don't see anything with chugging it periodically, if you need to get in more water. :)
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I'll drink 3 cups of water all at once... I ALWAYS drink 9 cups a day and when I slack during the day, I just get it over with!
  • 1234567kate9
    Options

I'm just worried that I'm going to be extremely bloated tomorrow because I've gone way over on sodium today...I dont feel thirsty, but then again I rarely do and I know my body probably needs more water than I routinely give it
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I routinely "chug" 4-6 oz's usually cause i'm thirsty and I sip some through out the day too. a long sip here or there.
  • chu604
    chu604 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    No def sip water all through out the day
    chugging it sends a message to your body and youll just pee it out without receiving full benefits

check out my blog post on water its super interesting : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ehsyme/view/water-a-small-write-up-216031

Cheers!
  • brookielove44
    Options
    chug all the way. do what u gotta do to get ur water in for the day.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    A couple of times I day I chug a bottle of water. :)
  • anasf139
    anasf139 Posts: 101
    Options
    Generally "chugging" isnt great for your body! It tends to go straight through you! I was told that the best thing to do is to sip...if you need to drink in larger quantities add a pinch of salt....haven't exactly figured out why though!
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options

THANK YOU! I get so tired of how crazy people get about drinking water. I drink very little except while working out (it actually gives me heartburn almost every time) and I am never dehydrated. It's fine... you'll know when you are.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I will chug about 4 oz at a time, just to get it in. I also find it quenches my thirst better this way. As long as you aren't chugging a gallon at a time I don't see anything with chugging it periodically, if you need to get in more water. :)

That's what I do.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Drink it throughout the day.

And no - your body does not "know" when it's thirsty. When you're thirsty... you're already dehydrated. That's why you're supposed to drink even when you're not thirsty. It's not the same as being hungry. AT ALL.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Adding a pinch of salt to large amounts of water is smart since you need the electrolytes...err...well, let's put it this way: athletes can afford to drink lots of Gatorade (high sodium) since they sweat out a lot of salt through vigorous exercise, so they need to replenish the sodium that came out. Sorry I didn't explain that well. :I
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Don't chug all your water at once, but you don't have to sip it either. I generally drink 1-2 cups of water every meal. Get a big cup (16 oz) and drink one of those every so often (every meal and every snack will give you at least 8 cups provided you do two at each and three meals a day plus one snack, if you have two snacks, you can do one cup with each of those and that's what I tend to do).

I have to agree about the body not knowing when it's thirsty. When you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated, and at some level of dehydration, you stop being thirsty.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    If you're not super thirsty, don't chug. Chugging seems only appropriate when you're super thirsty or when you're trying to get nasty liquid medicine down quick.

Keep a water bottle by you at all times and drink a little bit every now and again. Having it by you not only keeps it in your sights so you'll remember, but negates any laziness to get up and drink a bit. You don't have to drink a ton of water, even if you've taken in a lot of sodium. Be steady, don't think of it as something you have to do, like a punishment.
  • charmingtrouble
    charmingtrouble Posts: 54 Member
    Options

my body has no clue to when I need water. I used to go 2 days without water sometimes (I know, BAD, but I don't anymore) and I never felt the need to drink water. That, I don't really like the taste of water either :P

a little trick of mine is if I buy myself some kind of flavored drink, I save the bottle after I'm done and use it for water. The bottles tend to still smell like the drink that used to be in it so when I drink water from it, it smells yummy and that helps me get over the taste of water.
  • hernameislucy18
    Options
    Please do not listen to those who are saying to only drink when you are thirsty. Once you are thirsty, you are ALREADY DEHYDRATED. You should defiantly be drinking water throughout the whole day. I know it may be a pain at first but it will quickly become a habit. Just bring your water bottle into class with you or into your workplace area/desk. Chugging your water is not good for you so please don't do it! To know how much water you should drink a day, (in pounds) half your body weight and that's how many fluid ounces you should drink each day! Having 16 ounces of lemon water the first thing after you wake up is also extremely good for you and kick starts your metabolism for the day.