power 90 or p90x?

Options
I was hoping if so one you tell me if i should start with p90x or should i do power 90 first? i have both and my husband wants to start power 90 first and i want to start p90x. if anyone could help me out that wold be wonderful! thanks all

Replies

• ccleadbyexample
    Options
    It depends on what your current fitness level is. P90X requires a lot of time (1 hour a day..some a little more like 90 min) and is intense. There is a test at the beginning of it..so you can test on that and see where you are.
    Most people that aren't sure of their fitness level or the programs start with Power 90..still a tough program (all Tony Horton ones are!) but gets you used to him and then you can see how you feel.
    Casey
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I had a look at Power 90 before starting P90X ... I ended up doing P90X because it had more variety and I could see myself getting bored with Power 90 before I was done.

I'm 5 days away from finishing my first round, which I'm very happy about, and am looking forward to going for another round early next year.
  • kitkat75
    kitkat75 Posts: 1
    Options
    My husband and I started with P90X, it was very difficult. We were not nearly in shape enough for it. Listen to your body and do what feels comfortable. If you are already in shape for the most part and feel that P90X is going to benefit you more than the Power 90, then go for it! It is definitely an awesome workout. I had to stop because of melanoma, but as soon as I get the all clear from the docs, going to go right back to it. Good luck! :smile:
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Google the P90X Fit Test. If you can pass it (with the exception of the pull-ups -- very few pass that), then you are good to go for P90X. P90X is a longer program, but it is all inclusive. It has weight training, cardio, and flexibility training, plus a nutrition plan.

Also keep in mind that P90X was not designed as a weight loss program, although weight loss does come with it. It is a fitness program and is meant to get the already somewhat fit into the best shape of their lives.
  • darbsllim
    darbsllim Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If anyone on here is eating 1800 cals per day with a ratio of 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fat - could I please have access to your meal plan?
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    If anyone on here is eating 1800 cals per day with a ratio of 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fat - could I please have access to your meal plan?

Try posting on this thread; http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/59147-p90x-starting-a-new-thread ... there are quite a few people who started recently and might be able to help you.
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I agree it depends on your current fitness level. If you aren't quite ready for P90X I would recommend starting with Chalean Extreme I am doing it now and building strength like crazy. I did P90 for 30 days and it was boring and repetitive but effective.
    If I could do P90X I would but not there yet.
    Good luck!
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I was hoping if so one you tell me if i should start with p90x or should i do power 90 first? i have both and my husband wants to start power 90 first and i want to start p90x. if anyone could help me out that wold be wonderful! thanks all

Well you have both so why don't you start with P90? You can always switch to P90X if it isn't doing it for you. I was bored by P90 after about 35 days but at least it'll give you an introduction to Tony.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I bought P90 before P90X came out.

IMO, if your not fit or haven't done much exercise then P90X would be too hard.

Power 90 is good. Tony gives you options, if you can't do certain exercises he has alternates.

ENI29 - not sure why you would refer to it as boring and repetitive.

There's many exercises a minute or two each, and if it was too boring (easy?) then that's not the program for you. Aren't all DVD's repetitive?
    I am biased, as I have only done Power 90.

Power 90 has 4 sets... Cardio 1/2 and Sculpt 1/2 and when you get more fit there's Cardio 3/4 and Sculpt 3/4.
    It also comes with Ab Ripper 100. Basically you do 10 each of 10 different ab exercises
    Ab ripper 200. 20 each of 10 different exercises.
  • ccleadbyexample
    Options
    If you are debating between just these 2..then I would start with Power 90 or try to test in P90X to see how you do.
    For me..when it comes to the beach body products..it's about finding the program and the trainer that fits you. I like Tony Horton..so I will do Power 90 or P90X workouts from time to time..but I prefer Chalene Johnson as a trainer (Turbo Jam, ChaLEAN Extreme).
    So my advice..find the program AND that trainer that best suits you!
    Casey
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    There's no harm in giving each a test drive, hehe. Try one for a week then try the other.

Just don't be intimidated with either program. I was in no shape at all when I started P90X (had a month of yoga and stretching within 7 years and was mostly sedentary otherwise). But I made it work for me and I finish my first round on Saturday.

Any fitness program works as well as you can motivate and commit yourself. So give them both a try and go for the one that excites you the most.
  • mel62682
    mel62682 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the help and input. i will be starting one of the workouts tonight! wish me luck:happy:
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    Lots of luck; let us know how it goes!
  • ccleadbyexample
    Options
    Yes def keep in touch with me and let me know how you are doing! I am on both facebook (Casey Fett) and team beach body (ccfett)