I'm confused about the importance of protein

Options
Everyone who works out around me is all about their protein shakes or making sure they get their protein in for their diet. Is this something that someone who is losing weight should be concerned with? I'm unsure about how this helps.

Replies

• kittyninja
    Options
    You need protein to build muscle and to maintain the muscle you already have. That's why people who work out make sure they get enough protein.
    You also need it to function, the same way you need carbohydrates and fat.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Protein repairs/builds cells, muscles and bones....provides energy....helps control metabolism.....

Essential, especially when working out. Always good to eat a protein after you do any form of exercise. Focus on lean proteins... I eat yogurt after a good workout.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Protein is still a concern during weight loss because protein is the best food for your muscle.

Muscle building (even lean muscle) is an essential part of weight loss because muscle burns more calories then fat even while at rest, making it easier to maintain a healthy weight once you reach it.

Protein also digests slower then fats and carbs, helping keep your blood sugar regulated and prevents cravings as well as sugar highs and sugar crashes.

High protein/low carb eating styles are helpful for some during weight loss. That varies by body type and what works for you as far as eating style.

I will say I have an obese family member who is vegetarian, she is not good about meeting her protein levels and was told by both her physician and her nutritionist this is why she has severe cravings as well as sugar balance issues. The lack of prtein could also be the root reason she doesn't lose weight efficiently.
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Protein is very important when you are trying to lose weight because it helps stave off hunger. If you eat an apple by itself your blood sugar drops quicker and you feel hungry faster then if you eat an apple with a slice of cheese. Same thing if you eat celery vs celery with a bit of peanut butter or a plain salad vs. a salad with chicken cut up in it. The protein really helps you feel satisfied for much longer.
  • chu604
    chu604 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Here is a quick 1 minute video on protein

http://videos.bodybuilding.com/video/71702/Site-Guides-Protein

Hope this helps, you can private message me if you want more detailed information or want to know which protein is right for you.

Cheers
  • MommaToFour
    Options
    ...........and for the record if you are allowing MFP to set your daily protein intake....they have it wayyyyyyyyy too low!
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am not as hungry, eat much less and have way more endurance when I eat a lot of protein. I shoot for 100-120 grams a day (my diary is open)

Carbs make me hungry and gain weight.

Good luck! ♥
  • ECELonghorn
    Options
    From the oversimplification I know... when trying to build muscle protein is very important. When using the muscles, some parts of them tear and when you're sleeping at night your body uses protein to repair them and make them stronger. If you don't eat enough protein, you therefore can't build muscle. That's the basis of protein shakes. For most people, you'll get enough protein in your diet anyways for just that basic muscle repair.

From the weight loss perspective:
    - Protein does take longer to digest, and from what I've heard beginning the day with 30 grams of protein in the first 30 minutes of your day can get your metabolism revved up a little bit.
    - You're body can't store protein in the same way it stores carbs... this is the fundamental logic behind high protein diets (which I've heard have downsides as well)
    - Your body has to use fat to metabolize protein, so it is important to have at least some protein in your diet during weight loss... personally I eat above the MFP base recommended amount for protein partially for this reason. I decrease my calories, but still get at least the protein required to "maintain" weight by MFPs calculations.

To get about 30 grams of protein in the morning, I usually have 2 eggs, and 2 extra egg whites for 22g protein first thing in the morning. Then a little bit later (after showering, etc), oatmeal with blue berries that knocks it up to about 28g. The fiber in the oatmeal helps keep me less hungry until lunch... I tried doing more protein with eggs but usually felt hungry all morning. Was a good balance for me personally.
  • Luke_Quist
    Luke_Quist Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    How does one calculate the appropriate amount of protien that they need to be taking in? Normally? What about when lifting weights?

I use protien supplement once/day throughout my cardio conditioning the past few months. I just began lifting weights recently - still trying to figure out the right way to calculate my body's protien needs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, friend requests are welcome as I'm relatively new to the social side of MFP.

Thanks!
  • speedycakes
    speedycakes Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The average adult only needs 40-60g of protein a day. Unless your trying to become a body builder or a serious athlete . Protein is used to build, repair and maintain muscle. Also growing your hair and nails.

http://nchspressroom.wordpress.com/2010/03/03/adults’-daily-protein-intake-much-more-than-recommended/
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    How does one calculate the appropriate amount of protien that they need to be taking in? Normally? What about when lifting weights?

I use protien supplement once/day throughout my cardio conditioning the past few months. I just began lifting weights recently - still trying to figure out the right way to calculate my body's protien needs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, friend requests are welcome as I'm relatively new to the social side of MFP.

Thanks!

Your body can easily use 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass.
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You need it to grow up big and strong. :)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    You need essential building blocks to sustain your cellular life: Protein (aka amino acids), lipids (fats), and carbohydrates (sugars). You need all of these for different functions on a cellular level, and certain cells in your body need more of those building blocks than others. Proteins actually help a number of things besides muscular development (like DNA synthesis/repair), but in the context of losing weight, proteins help maintain muscle mass, because muscles fibers need the tough structures of protein building blocks to remain rigid yet flexible for performance.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    It helps repair and build muscle. If you're on a calorie deficit, you SHOULD be getting a lot of protein. I've read a lot of places that it should be 1 gram per every 1 lb of lean body bass. So whatever your body fat % is ... you can figure out what the rest of it is (the lean) and then 1 gram for every 1 lb. For me, it's 120 grams. I weigh 168 and am 31% body fat.
  • Darrknys
    Options
    protein is great for your muscles. (((echo))) =)

Also I'm sure not everyone on here is a nutritionist.... I know I'm not. I keep learning new things about food and what my body needs or doesn't need all the time.

So if you have a question keep continuing to ask them. What a better way to improve yourself and your body!

Word!
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    The average adult only needs 40-60g of protein a day. Unless your trying to become a body builder or a serious athlete . Protein is used to build, repair and maintain muscle. Also growing your hair and nails.

Well, this will vary - the United States RDA is 0.8g/kg or 0.4g/lbs, and that's based on studies done on average, sedentary folks. If you train hard, you could probably up it to 1g/lb of lean body weight.

Given that the average American male and femal weigh approximately 191 and 165 pounds approximately, you're already looking at more than 60 grams of protein. Pretty much if you include healthy protein choices at eat meal (lean cuts of meat, fish or poultry, eggs, beans, tofu, etc), you're well on your way to eating over 100 grams easy peasy.

Think of proteins like building blocks! Muscles, skin and hair use em, so it's important to make sure you're getting enough.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    You need it to grow up big and strong. :)

ZACKLY
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options

http://nchspressroom.wordpress.com/2010/03/03/adults’-daily-protein-intake-much-more-than-recommended/

I am not sure I agree with this. MFP will show more than that per person. Farrell's has me at 40 grams per meal and I am to eat 6 meals a day. This seems way to low.

My calculator that Farrell's gave me bases it on weight and body fat
  • fypspirit
    fypspirit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If I go over my protein I don't worry about it. I try to stay under the fat for sure but I workout everyday and do strength training 3 time a wk so my protein is important for these workouts.
  • ckelferrante
    ckelferrante Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I wondered about the importance as well...... so you are not the only one... Can anyone recommend a good tasting protein shake? I am in Canada so something that is available here :)