Ouch. My butt....

Options
OK - so I did too many squats and now I can't move. I still want to exercise, but it hurts to do anything but walk. Even that isn't exactly pleasant. Any suggestions for working through the pain?

Replies

• MommaToFour
    Options
    Ibuprofen ALWAYS works amazingly great for me!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    OK - so I did too many squats and now I can't move. I still want to exercise, but it hurts to do anything but walk. Even that isn't exactly pleasant. Any suggestions for working through the pain?

I have been there too many times to even count. If its that bad then Advil to the rescue. :)
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    in the same position, did some cardio (played racquetball), but you could try the elliptical, treadmill, or go for a walk. something that will limber you up, and as you keep moving, you will fee less sore. remember to get your rest, though; your muscles need to rest to regrow
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    yup, gotta keep moving to keep your muscles warm & loose. Advil / motrin.. Try a banana too - I read somewhere that they help.
  • kealambert
    Options
    yup, gotta keep moving to keep your muscles warm & loose. Advil / motrin.. Try a banana too - I read somewhere that they help.

I believe it's the potassium, that's why they're good for cramping. good call!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I always find that working out again, really helps with the DOMS.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Eat a banana, stretch, do cardio :)
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I love that kind of pain!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with DOMS. Working through it is the way to go.
  • bstoetzer
    Options
    Don't think it will do much help now, but try using a foam roller after working out. It always seems to help me prevent the DOMS.
  • kealambert
    Options
    can someone define DOMS for me?
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.. usually the 2nd day is worse! Doing some cardio definitely helps get muscles warm again helps reduce the pain.
  • TheNewLeslie
    TheNewLeslie Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! Advil has been taken. I still hurt, but I'm going to keep moving and try to work through it and get in some cardio. And no squats for a couple of days....... Oh, and eat a banana while I'm at it.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options

Muscle rub cream and Epson Salt bath.
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yep, muscle rub, massaging, pain meds, and keep moving/stretching. Take it easy too - don't overwork it. I like the cardio idea and a hot bath.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I will be the odd man out and say that I take it easy. If I'm so sore that I can barely move, I've learned to give my body a break. I've taken Advil and gone to the gym - only to end up injured. Advil masks any pain that I'm having and all that I've gotten is hurt by doing it. If I need Advil to go to the gym and workout, then I probably shouldn't be going at all.

Just my personal opinion and experience.

If I'm hurting that bad, my body gets what it needs and that's a rest day.
  • Cmh1211
    Cmh1211 Posts: 104
    Options
    actually advil or ibuprofen is an anti inflamitory and does not "mask" pain it reduces swelling so it really is actually working unlike tylenol.

for soreness its advil(ibuprofen), lots of stretching, cardio, lots of water and repeat. if u jusy lay down and wait it out it will only get worse.

gl
  • SUMMERTHYME4
    Options
    I love that kind of pain!

Me too!!!! My Mother alwayz uze to say "Beauty iz pain my dear"
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Sometimes after a long night of drinking I wake up saying that. Wait...what?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    actually advil or ibuprofen is an anti inflamitory and does not "mask" pain it reduces swelling so it really is actually working unlike tylenol.

for soreness its advil(ibuprofen), lots of stretching, cardio, lots of water and repeat. if u jusy lay down and wait it out it will only get worse.

gl

Advil is a pain reliever. It makes pain go away - just like other pain medications (and yes, it is an anti inflammatory, but it is a pain reliever.. otherwise, you wouldn't take it for a headache). I've taken it to help with pain only to end up in more pain because it is masking how sore I really am (since it is a pain reliever) and I'm unable to sense how far to push myself.

I'm pretty sure I'll listen to the doctor who treated me when I ended up in the hospital with a hip injury because I took Advil and went to the gym anyway. I was told "If you need something to ease the pain in order to go to the gym, you likely shouldn't be there".

Considering I "masked" my pain right into a stress fracture... Yeah, listening to the doctors and NOT taking it and then going to the gym.

As I stated - it is MY personal opinion and MY personal experience. I don't care what anyone else does with their body, but I'm not doing it to mine ever again. It isn't worth it.