Attempted my own veggie burgers today

Options
findingfit23
findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
I tried two different veggie burger recipes today. One was good, the other not so much.

First, the one I liked:

Black bean burgers - from allrecipes.com

1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 onion, cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 egg
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
1/2 cup bread crumbs

Directions

If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.

Calories: 198
Total Fat: 3g
Cholesterol: 53mg
Sodium: 607mg
Total Carbs: 33.1g
Dietary Fiber: 9.8g
Protein: 11.2g

I baked mine, and here it is

2uyotnk.jpg

Replies

• findingfit23
    Options
    The other one I tried was a Health Starts Here recipe from Whole Foods. I wont make these again, but maybe it sounds interesting to someone else. They dont taste bad, they are just very crumbly and not burger like at all

SOUTHWEST VEGGIE BURGERS

Ingredients
    1 cup cooked brown rice
    1 cup cooked no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
    1/4 cup diced tomato
    1/4 cup diced roasted red bell peppers
    1/4 cup shredded carrots
    1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potato
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    1 tablespoon no-salt-added chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    3 green onions, finely chopped
    3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon Tabasco or other hot sauce

Method
    Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir to mix. Form the mixture into 4 patties. Place patties on the baking sheet and bake, turning once half way through cooking, until browned and slightly crisp on the outside, about 30 minutes.

To freeze the burgers, bake and cool them, then wrap in foil or freezer-safe wrap; unwrap the burgers and reheat them in the microwave, or place them on a parchment-lined pan and bake in a 300°F oven until hot, about 25 minutes.

Nutrition

Per serving: 190 calories (10 from fat), 1.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 37g total carbohydrate (10g dietary fiber, 6g sugar), 10g protein
  • melzima
    melzima Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It looks great! I have been trying to work some veggie burgers in my diet, does this taste like something you WANT to have? I'm definitely going to try this soon!
  • melzima
    melzima Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For the Black Bean burgers, what are the calories on that?
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    The black bean one sounds delicious, and looks great! I'm keeping the recipe! I've tried to make my own veggie burgers in the past, but always had trouble with them falling apart. I'm going to do what you did...bake them!!! Thanks!
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Only 190 calories for the black bean burger! Oh yeah, gotta have it!
  • findingfit23
    Options
    It looks great! I have been trying to work some veggie burgers in my diet, does this taste like something you WANT to have? I'm definitely going to try this soon!

I really like veggie burgers, so I will definitely make them again. I think its a great base recipe that you can do a lot with. I love the morningstar farms veggie burgers that come in all different varieties. I'm thinking I can play with this recipe and make all different kinds like the morningstar. And I think it cost me about $2. to make 4 burgers.
  • findingfit23
    Options
    For the Black Bean burgers, what are the calories on that?

I edited to the post to add nutrition info from the site.
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    I love the fiber content!!! Do they taste really "beany." I want to give them a try, but I'm pretty nervous....
  • findingfit23
    Options
    The first one is very beany, the second one you taste more of the sweet potato.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I :heart: allrecipes.com. All those 5 star reviews have never led me astray...
  • ChrisWag
    ChrisWag Posts: 169
    Options
    This looks great!!! I am going to try them!!!
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    looks good!
  • Nikki881
    Nikki881 Posts: 203
    Options
    Bump! The first one looks DELICIOUS! Thanks for this! =)
  • Bubba_Furley
    Bubba_Furley Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Your second must have fallen apart because there was no egg or other sort of binder. Since it appears you eat egg, maybe try it that way since you liked the flavor.
  • GINAvsGINA
    GINAvsGINA Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Looks yummy, I'll have to try them.
  • wren176
    wren176 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bump this looks yummy! I love allrecipes!