p90x

Options
How do u know how many calories u burned on p90x? I don't know how to log it in my diary.

Replies

• mrsnjneer
    mrsnjneer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Let me know when you find out?! I need to figure this out, as well.
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Best option is heart rate monitor. I log under create your own exercise. I created separate exercises for each DVD. If no HR monitor 600 cals per workout is a reasonable average.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I would really recommend a HRM. I have seen people on here say that MFP OVERestimates the calories burned, but when I got my HRM, I found out that MFP UNDERestimated my calories burned.

Example: I put in Kickboxing (TurboJam) for the Kenpo X DVD, that gave me 660 calories burned, and when I got my HRM, I actually burned 860 calories.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I would just recommend using the p90x dvd's as a coaster for a drink.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Use a heart rate monitor its the only way to be accurate.
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

I would recommend if you have nothing valuable to add to a conversation...look for another conversation. To each his own.
  • Antigone
    Antigone Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I also use a heart rate monitor, a Polar with a chest strap. I usually burn around 650 calories on cardio days and 550 on weight days and up to 700 if I also do AbRipper. Husband, who is in much better shape burns less though. The only way to get a really accurate number for you is to get a monitor.
  • tamerica07
    tamerica07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I actually don't know anything about heart monitors whats a good one to get and how do they really work?
  • brandirobin
    Options
    i just bought a HRM for $50 at meijer. works great. i think it's very accurate. compares with the cardio machines at the gym which really surprised me! but nice to have for classes or at home work outs where you have no other monitoring tool. highly recommend getting one!
  • Antigone
    Antigone Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I actually don't know anything about heart monitors whats a good one to get and how do they really work?

I have a Polar brand that I've been using for a few years now with no problems. You can get them pretty cheap on Amazon $50-$100. You put a strap around your chest and it broadcasts your heart rate to a wrist watch. So you can watch your heart rate/calorie burn as you work out and then check your stats when you are done.
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    On a previous post somewhere in here there was this link.

http://p90xcalories.com

I messed with their calculator and found that I was burning more calories than I thought. I would like to get a HMR and see what that tells me too.
  • slowpoke269
    slowpoke269 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I got a HRM to other day tried it the first time with P90X. Burned 680 cal. Just did the link posted above says I did 544 cal. So Id say use your best judgement. Personally Id go with a HRM.
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I personally have never burned 600 calories on any of the p90x DVDs. Prior to buying my hr monitor I logged them in at about 600 cals and didn't know why I wasn't losing weight. I bought a cheap hr monitor from target with no strap- WAY over estimated calories. Returned it for one with a chest strap and I'm pretty sure it's accurate. I burn anywhere from 300-450 plyo being my highest. I'm 5'3 about 127lbs and work out 6 days a week (on most weeks :))
  • tamerica07
    tamerica07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, i did get a heart rate monitor, one that has a chest strap and i can tell a big deference on the treadmill and my p90x results are down to i burned about 400 cal on the legs and back and about 300 cal on the kenpo. now I'm glad i got one so i can be more accurate with my food count to.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

doesnt matter how bad you are or how bad you think you are, P90X is a great workout. Are there better? sure...there is always a "better" somewhere.