Hair coloring question for all you ladies out there..

Options
2»

Replies

• HisMissus
    HisMissus Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you want to go light blonde, definitely get it done at a salon.

Have you thought about going darker, maybe light brown or red? These are definitely easier to maintain yourself at home. I'd get the first colour done at a salon still.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Been dying my hair blond at home for the last 5 years with no issues (I use Nice'n'Easy). Choose a colour that nearest matches your natural colour and don't go too light 1st time out. Follow the instructions and maybe get a friend to assist.
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm a dirty blonde that's been dying my hair red for almost 20 years now. I've always done it myself until recently, about 3 years ago, and I will never go back to doing it on my own, it's so much better quality product and the results are awesome! (I also get highlights done w/ it). And now I don't think my husband will ever let me do my own dying agian either, he likes the bathroom not having errant drips after each time regardless of how hard I tried to cover everything.
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    Its only a few shades go for it! I colour my own hair all the time and I've never had a problem. plus the highlights will still shine through and it'll look all shimmery. Just make sure if you have longer than shoulder length or thick grab two boxes. I always find I need the second. You can always go semi perm and then it'll just brighten it up.
  • richelle67
    Options
    I am a hairstylist. From my experience in this area, I would go in and have it colored darker. If your hair is blonde, all the pigment has been stripped out and it MAY need a color filler put in it before coloring so it doesn't turn grey or green when going darker. It may seem more expensive than doing it yourself, but if you do it and it turns a "funky" color, going in having a corrective color is more expensive than just a color. And a bigger pain for you and the stylist! Also, even when stylists do tint backs, hair doesn't always do what we want it to do and what the color is suppose to do. But we have the knowledge and product to fix it right away. Good luck!
  • SarahE1092
    Options
    I have tried doing a box dye a few years ago because it was getting too expensive for me to get it done every few months. It did not turn out well. It was fine for the first 2 weeks then it went orange! I hated it but couldnt get back to the salon to fix it.
    I too have thought about going all one color, but I really do like my natural looking blonde highlights.
    Good luck.
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    My hubby does mine for me and I am frequently asked who does it. Preference by Loreal with highlights does a beautiful job. At about $15.00 and 1 1/2 hours of time. Avoid all the horror stories by actually doing the skin/ hair test before you do the whole thing first time out. IMHO, the times I have had my hair colored professionally have not had as natural looking a result. Also, choose perm OR color...doing both is hard on the hair. My hair is naturally a med mousy brown with gray....
  • kauaibaby
    kauaibaby Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Listen to Richelle- she is an awesome stylist and has personally fixed my 'dirty blonde-"want something different" did it myself WTF is that? oops' moments! :)
  • I would say go for whats the best in your budget
  • owengem
    owengem Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm a dirty boring blonde naturally and have had highlights for yrs and yrs at the hairdresser and everytime I was always wanting it that bit blonder do I went for it. Full head white blond no looking back. I've always had it done by a professional cos they are able to use a toner to remove any yellow or orange-ness.

Go for it

Feel free to add me x
  • Angel_Eyes1975
    Angel_Eyes1975 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have been getting my hair highlighted for years and I like it but I think im ready for something different. (No my hair is not dead from coloring so please don't lecture me about it being bad for you) But It's so expensive I dont do it as often as I should and lately Ive been getting sick of the top of my hair being nice and highlighted and the underside being an ugly dirty blonde. Ive been really thinking about dying my whole head, im just nervous because ive never done that before Ive only highlighted. My hair is naturally dirty blonde and when I get it highlighted I used one shade of bleach blonde and another of caramel. I think I would want to dye it a light blonde. My next issue is whether I should box dye it or have the salon do it? Which do you girls prefer to do? And which is more of a pain to keep up with?

Hey sweetie.. I have always had dirty blond hair and I use to do my hair my self years ago and then I found a great lady and I was ready for a change. so she dyed my hair a very light brown and then foil low lights and hightlights so when I wear my hair up which i always do there are highlights underneath.. I really like it I get it done about every 4 months and i prefer going to the salon i love having my head massaged and washed.. it is just relaxing.. good luck hope you will post pics of the out come
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If you are wanting something with less upkeep an all over blonde is not the way to go. I am a licensed stylist, been doing hair 22 yrs. now. With an all over blonde you will need root touch ups about every 4 weeks and if you go much longer than that it is very difficult to keep your color even. Highlighting is much more forgiving between appts. As for the darker color underneath, most hair is darker underneath as that part doesn't see the sun as often. If that's what's bothering you the most ,have your stylist do a heavier highlight underneath.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i was blonde, for a long time. it was ruining my hair. mainly because i was using heat, but no heat protector!!!

so, i make the bold decision to go red. and i have loved every second of it. i have a few random blonde/ bronze high lights ( like 4 or 5) but i'm RED!!!

we tried various shades but my most recent is my fave. it's my profile pic here. i will never go blonde again. i will probably stick with red for a good long while!!!!

my opinion, it's just hair. it grows out and you can always change it :-)

good luck!!!
  • deejay7806
    deejay7806 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    hmmm....interestin thread...... well im a dirty blonde.... n ive been using blonde box dyes for about 5 yrs.... n ive used inexpensive ones also ive used expensive ones..... yeah very first time i did my own...was a bit scarred...but went for it...n ive neva looked bck.... only once did i have a mishap... was a make and colour id used b4...but it turned out a mid brown was orrible...so nxt day went and got a bleaching kit and bleached my hair...n it came out awesum...best colour i eva had...but bleach not good 2 b using all the time.... id say.... go for it...b a lot cheeper than salons..... if ya dont try ull neva no...good luk in woteva u decide x
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Never had a problem with box dye, do it every 6 weeks....£4.50. No way could I afford £30-50 every 6 weeks
  • richelle67
    Options
    Oops, I read it wrong. I thought you wanted to go darker. Ignore my answer!
  • richelle67
    Options
    I am a hairstylist. From my experience in this area, I would go in and have it colored darker. If your hair is blonde, all the pigment has been stripped out and it MAY need a color filler put in it before coloring so it doesn't turn grey or green when going darker. It may seem more expensive than doing it yourself, but if you do it and it turns a "funky" color, going in having a corrective color is more expensive than just a color. And a bigger pain for you and the stylist! Also, even when stylists do tint backs, hair doesn't always do what we want it to do and what the color is suppose to do. But we have the knowledge and product to fix it right away. Good luck!

Oops, read your post wrong. Ignore this answer!
  • Karrix
    Karrix Posts: 288
    Options
    As a stylist id recommend going to a salon. Box dyes often use far too much ash in there color, thus giving your hair more of a green appearance.

If you're planning on going a blonde, the stylist would likely use a violet tone opposed to ash, which would avoid green.
  • lannna17
    Options
    Hairstylist advice, go to a salon! If a salon has been doing your hair, let them take care of it. It's impossible to tell how box color will react with existing hair color and you could end up with orange hair.. it's definitely worth the extra money. Or, if you want to add some dimension in your hair still, consider adding just some random highlights, they don't have to be right on top, it'll be kind of like a peek-a-boo but you won't have the regrowth right on top so it won't be too noticable.