Are you Big Boned Or Overweight

Options
So seriously?

How can you tell if you're "big boned" or "overweight" I can do the finger (or measuring tape) around the wrist measurement, but won't my wrist size change as I lose weight?

Replies

• dreamy885
    Options
    More importantly, has anyone ever seen a fat skeleton??
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I just read this. Overweight tends to create big bones.

http://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/2011/03/23/are-the-overweight-really-big-boned/
  • Liseii01
    Liseii01 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    no, but I'd be interested in seeing that, also if you have a bridge I can buy let me know =)
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Ive always thought I was big boned.... but possibly because I always thought I could never be thin, so "i must be big boned"
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Bones don't jiggle.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    hhKKy.jpg
  • GinaJDarling
    GinaJDarling Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Very True!! Your bones can be larger than others but large bones will not give you a double chin, stomach rolls, or a muffin top lol I am over weight along with big bones, My hands are huge and long like a mans and so are my feet and I also have big features but I also know I need to loose more weight!
  • GinaJDarling
    GinaJDarling Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    hhKKy.jpg
    Perfect example!
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I don't think the weight has much if anything due to bone size. I do think people of the very same height ca vary in musculature and bone length. It may be that you carry muscle differently than others. For example I have two brothers: one is stocky and heavy in the shoulders and chest. The other is lean and long like a runner's build. The way their bodies put on muscle was different.

Just my speculation, anyway. I don't actually know for sure.
  • tmassy
    tmassy Posts: 21
    Options

hehehe^^^^
  • lovinmysoldier
    lovinmysoldier Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You can measure the width of you elbow. That's supposed to tell you if you have a small, medium or large frame. You'll have to look up the actual measurements for which is which.
  • dreamy885
    Options
    "The initial findings of this study show that having big bones does not make you fat, being fat gives you big bones."

^from that website posted, in case anyone didn't check it out.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I'm big boned, like Cartman! :)
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    And fat too :) I wasn't going there but since someone put the xray pics up :) It explains my big booty and my friend's larger chest :)
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Bones don't jiggle.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options

TRUE!
  • lovinmysoldier
    lovinmysoldier Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    hhKKy.jpg

Very interesting. Point made but will say that the left is male, right is female. Notice how compressed her diaphragm is, granted his is a closer X-ray but you can definitely tell that his lungs have do much more room!
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    You can have a larger frame which you can find out by measuring your elbow width. Google it.

But you can get pretty thin with a large frame. I am a larger frame, at the low end of my BMI and I still need to lose. So I don't think larger frames are a good reason to be overweight.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me I had big bones (he seemed to be surprised and impressed by this). I was 90 pounds at the time. I laugh when people say they're not over weight, they just have big bones.
  • PammyKY
    PammyKY Posts: 129
    Options
    In my opinion there is no such thing as being big boned. Yeah everyone kept telling me that is why I was built the way I was. Let's be honest I am not big boned I am just simply overweight. I guess they were trying to make excuses for me but as they say on the Biggest Loser this is a year of NO EXCUSES.