Dark chocolate experiment :)

Options
bjohs
bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
My newer MFP's may find this interesting... and it will help explain why I frequently have a Dove dark chocolate bar before bed. LOL! I think it may be time for another crazy experiment! :happy:

Original blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bjohs/view/plateau-vs-chocolate-who-won-116497

Plateau vs. Chocolate: Who Won?
Posted on 06/21/2011

Answer: I did!

As a few of you know through a forum post and previous blog, my starting weight when I began this journey was 157.0 pounds.

- Before/After Photos: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/263293-before-after-25-years-and-30-lbs-later-w-pics

- My Journey: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bjohs/view/down-30-pounds-response-to-questions-114202

I did cardio (elliptical and walking), did a round of P90X, some strength training, ate healthy foods, adjusted my food intake and other ideas to lose the pounds. Then I hit a plateau and fluctuated between 127-129 for nearly 6 weeks. My measurements were staying the same too. My goal weight is 124.0 and I wanted to reach that so badly at this point! I knew there had to be a reason for the plateau. What was my body asking for?

I made adjustments to the amount of water, sodium, fat and sugar I was consuming. I increased and decreased my calorie count to see if I needed more or fewer calories. I added a bit more cardio to my routine. Checked my fiber content to make sure my system was getting flushed out regularly.

Last week, I finally thought about going back through my food diary to see what I had eaten the day before the scale showed a drop in weight. There weren't too many things that would tell me exactly what I did differently on those days, but one thing stood out above all the rest. I had some sort of chocolate as my evening snack. Really? Chocolate? Wow, this was interesting! I thought it would be fun to experiment with chocolate as an evening snack to see if I could achieve more positive results. I kept my food intake and regular meal choices exactly the same as before. You may be surprised by what happened!

chocolate.gif

Evening Snacks

June 14 (Day 0) = 128.2 pounds
Evening snack = Jell-O sugar free chocolate pudding (1 snack)

June 15 (Day 1) = 127.6 pounds. Down .8 lbs!
Evening snack = Dove Silky Smooth dark chocolate bar (1.30 oz)

June 16 (Day 2) = 127.2 pounds. Down .4 lbs!
Evening snack = Brach's double dipper chocolate covered peanuts (10 peanuts)

June 17 (Day 3) = 127.2 pounds. No movement.

June 18 (Day 4) = 126.6 pounds. Down .6 pounds! Finally broken through the plateau!!!

June 19 (Day 5) = 126.6 pounds. No movement.
Evening snack = Dove Silky Smooth dark chocolate bar (1.30 oz)

June 20 (Day 6) = 126.2 pounds. Down .4 pounds!
Evening snack = Jell-O sugar free double chocolate pudding (1 snack) AND Dove Silky Smooth dark chocolate bar (1.30 oz)

June 21 (Day 7) = 125.8 pounds. Down .4 pounds!
Total weigh loss in 1 week = 2.4 pounds

I not only broke through my plateau, but I blew it out of the water! 2.4 pounds in just 1 week... with only a few pounds left to goal? Yeah... that's a MAJOR achievement! I only have 1.8 pounds left and I couldn't be happier. I haven't been this weight since I was in my 20's!

Am I saying that chocolate is the key to weight loss? Certainly not. But what this experiment proves is that there is ALWAYS a reason for a plateau. You just need to experiment with different things to see what it is your body needs. Maybe it will be more calories. Maybe it will be less exercise. Maybe you are getting too much sodium. Maybe you aren't "regular" and need to up your fiber. Whatever it is... try new things. Our bodies need constant change in order to be challenged so it can continue burning calories. I think sometimes we get stuck in our same routines and what worked for us yesterday will not work for us tomorrow.

Most importantly, have fun with your journey. It doesn't have to be awful, boring, grueling or depressing. Experiment with different foods and exercises. Challenge yourself!!! Who said it can't be an entertaining ride?

Lastly, never give up. Never, EVER give up!

Replies

• azazelrabbit
    Options
    Haha, thst's brilliant!
    That might really help some people with their plateau. And good news for chocolate lovers like me :D
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Love it! What an experimental science this is!
  • bjohs
    Options
    Yeah, I'm thinking of doing a beer experiment next. LMBO!
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Well I am going to stock up on dark chocolate then.. had 50g yesterday and shall have another 50g today! Tomorrow if I am not bankrupt I shall have more LOL.

I love experimenting!!!
  • lilojoke
    Options

Let me know when and I join you but we got to measure our bellies first! LMBO!!!
  • bjohs
    Options
    Well I am going to stock up on dark chocolate then.. had 50g yesterday and shall have another 50g today! Tomorrow if I am not bankrupt I shall have more LOL.

I love experimenting!!!

I like to stay with at least 60% dark cocao. It's more bitter, but I like it. It also helps satisfy my sweet tooth when I get an urge for a treat. :)
  • bjohs
    Options

Let me know when and I join you but we got to measure our bellies first! LMBO!!!

That sucks all the fun out of it!
  • sdow
    sdow Posts: 71
    Options
    Wow, great experiment. Congratulations and thanks for sharing the results. Great news.:happy:
  • lilojoke
    Options

That sucks all the fun out of it!

Ok you win we no measure! Just drink!
  • lilojoke
    Options
    I think these experiments just show us the basics that its not any particular macronutrient but its calories in vs out that matters most. Doesn't matter if your goal is to lean out or put on muscle.
  • MissJennaBelle
    Options
    I found this a really interesting read as I am back to the weighing the same as I did four months ago and I can't get passed it, just keep cycling up and around it... maybe it's time I tried an experiment to shake things up a bit. :happy: Thanks for sharing!!
  • lilojoke
    Options
    [/quote]

I like to stay with at least 60% dark cocao. It's more bitter, but I like it. It also helps satisfy my sweet tooth when I get an urge for a treat. :)
    [/quote]

I usually get 70% but find it too bitter! Satisfies me well though
  • bjohs
    Options
    Yeah, I tried 85% cocao once... ONCE! Never again. That was nasty!
  • lilojoke
    Options
    Yeah, I tried 85% cocao once... ONCE! Never again. That was nasty!

88% I gagged once! I thought it was spoiled hahaha
  • ecs1516
    ecs1516 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Very interesting!
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    Thanks for the info... already a Dove Dark chocolate junkie... I love the stuff!
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

yeah... i beat you to it.
    my fridays are awesome.