A Warning About Toning Shoes!

Options
I see the chiropractor about once to twice a month. I have a short bone in one leg so my hip slips now and then. I went to see him one morning and worked out that evening and threw my hip out while working out. He was VERY adamant about not working out in Shape-ups, EasyTones, or any toning shoe. He said they are designed to make you balance more while you walk and give more exertion but are really bad for your back when working out. The moves you do make it too easy to slip something out in your back.

Just be careful!

Replies

• Nita_B
    Nita_B Posts: 20
    Options
    Wow--I hadn't thought of that. I don't have any problem walking, but I can't jog in them. With the bottom being curved, I tend to drag my foot and almost fall. Yes, please be careful while working out.
  • AprilVal
    AprilVal Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I see the chiropractor about once to twice a month. I have a short bone in one leg so my hip slips now and then. I went to see him one morning and worked out that evening and threw my hip out while working out. He was VERY adamant about not working out in Shape-ups, EasyTones, or any toning shoe. He said they are designed to make you balance more while you walk and give more exertion but are really bad for your back when working out. The moves you do make it too easy to slip something out in your back.

Just be careful!

I believe that.. My mom got some toning shoes, that she used for walking and we were walking, we hadn't been gone from home 5 minutes, which is about maybe a half a mile away and she felt like her lower legs were going to break in half. I'm afraid to try them for that reason.
  • EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of true balance tone shoes I wear during work..I read the package on the shoes and it says not to wear during workouts.
  • NickyCat101
    Options
    I have a pair of true balance tone shoes I wear during work..I read the package on the shoes and it says not to wear during workouts.

Smart of you! I should read more instructions/packages.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Yup. I messed up my feet bad wearing the skeckers resistance runners for running and got planter facitisis. It tooks months to heal which put my working out on hold for the most part. He said the heal strike and lack of arch support was what did it. They were comfortable shoes, but were doing damage.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

walking is considered an exercise...
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My chiro warned me against them too. Said they can really mess up your natural body motion and lead to injury. Besides, most of them are pretty darned ugly. lol
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I knew my ex and I weren't meant to be when he bought a pair of Sketchers Shape-Ups and insisted on wearing them in public.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine they were okay for awhile then they began to hurt my ankles a lot. I would never wear a pair of them again.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I walk around 5 miles a day briskly in my skechers tone up sandals...love em.

Have a pair of shape-ups too, and are good for walking but definitely not weight lifting as it throws your balance off.
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I will be using mine for walking when it warms up. Last year I tried to wear them all the time and really messed up my back.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

Smart of you! I should read more instructions/packages.

who'd expect to have to read user instructions on a pair of shoes though :wink:

but i never bought into toning shoes - i like my hikers wherever I go.
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I love mine for daily wear, but not for exercise walks. I walk on uneven ground and don't feel they give my ankles enough stabilization for that . The last thing I need to do is fall off my shoes when I'm 2 miles from home!
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I love mine too for daily wear. I have been using it more than a year and got new ones too.
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options

walking is considered an exercise...

They are intended for walking in- at least the Reebocks I own are. However, i do remember reading that any other type of exercise in these shoes are not what they are not safe.