what can i do with my old jars

Options
I have some empty pasta sauce jars that I hate to throw away. I know I can recyle, but does anyone have any ideas of how to reuse them?

Replies

• _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    1. Use them for mixing up salad dressing (vinaigrette type ones)

2. Use for storing dried goods (eg nuts) so they don't spill all over the cupboard

3. Make jam, chutney, pickles or other preserves

4. Store loose change, buttons or other little annoying things that would be all in a mess otherwise
  • ariel3561
    ariel3561 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use old jars for tons of things. Travel cup, pencil holder, dry goods storage, cotton ball or q-tip holder, drinking glass, flower vase, leftover storage, freezer storage, cold pack for cooler. I always put rice, beans, lentils, popcorn, cereals, etc in the jars so they are stored tight and you can see how much you have and they store easily on a shelf and look prettier too.
  • KristenAnn711
    Options
    I like all those ideas, but I'm thinking something a bit crafty.
  • karylee44
    Options
    i have jars filled with marbles on the window.. i have jars filled with buttons.. i fill jars with all sorts of little things i collect.. alot of people make those cookies in a jar.. so much to do .. :)
  • patricknsmith
    patricknsmith Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Get some candle holders from the dollar store and super glue and glue the jars to the top of the candle holder...I know it works well with mason jars for redneck wine glasses. You can dress them up by painting designs on them or just leave them plain.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYhD1fAW8nqdujO1eh6BqIozZjbV3U4YIJ61KJAD2gVpLn2UrP
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    check pinterest!
  • Zsangel
    Zsangel Posts: 202
    Options
    We have HEAPS at home, Mum and I filled them with coloured water, and now have Rainbows on most of out window sils =)
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    fill with potpourri and clear Christmas lights
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Take some cherries ... fill the jar ... then fill it with vodka ... wait a month ... and enjoy :)
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    (repeat)
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have been keeping my jars lately and plan on spray painting them different bright colors. Then using as vases, storage etc...check out pinterest
  • Trilaina
    Options
    Make filled lamps out of them! I have a friend that makes homemade candles in hers, too.
  • nikkibyrdRN
    nikkibyrdRN Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You can also use them to grow fresh herbs! :)
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! I have more jars than I know what to do with. Some hold pennies, nickels, or dimes. Sometimes I use it to put grease in so that it doesn't clog up my sink. I REALLY like the fresh herb idea! Dirt or water?
  • Gottastop
    Gottastop Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Saw this earlier & thought it was a great idea. Just haven't found the marbles yet

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/458259-such-a-neat-idea-for-motivation
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

I've seen where jars were painted with designs (just enough that you could still see what was in them) and the tops nailed to a board that was then attached under a shelf or cabinet. You fill it with whatever (depending on where you use it) and screw it up into the top. Makes better use of space and is generally appealing.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options

I saw a pic in a magazine of a wall that had bunches of jars embedded in it like kind of mosaic window